PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Booster :|

Dissolved
03-03-2005, 03:49 PM
i am also haveing the jumpy voltages...
I thought my pot was bad so i soldered on a 10k 15turn, and it didnt change..
Specs in sig..

But when im in windows/memtest i set it to 2.8v (mobo only goes to 2.7v).
if i reboot it shoots to 3.1 at first boot then in windows will settle to 2.8 or 2.9v
i ran memtest for 12hrs, it was at 2.8v (i slept all night and afternoon hence 12hrs..) so when i wake up it says 3.1v..

So i dont understand why it drops a full .3v from boot to windows/memtest, but im memtest it dropped .3v then Rasied .3v after 12hrs.. it doesnt make much sense..

Maybe you guys could do a Test with the booster and some TCCD on my Gigabyte k8n ultra 939 mobo?

Thanks..

RyderOCZ
03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Have you measured the 5V rail on your PSU to see what it is doing while all this is happening? Get a DMM and measure the Red wire to one of the blacks in a molex connector, then repeat what you are doing in your description...if the 5V rail is fluctuating then it could be causing the booster to do the same.

Follow me?

Thanks

Dissolved
03-03-2005, 04:50 PM
aight, but do you think its anything to do with the mobo?

ill test out the 5v in a bit, thanks.

Dissolved
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
ok, my 5v line is at 5.24 and Does not MOVE at all during powerup.

The booster apon boot will post 3.1 then 3.0 then after in windows it steeltes to 2.8 sometimes 2.9v.

Any ideas?

my 3.3@3.47 line doesnt move either apon boot to load.

So i really dont know what it would be so dang jumpy?

RyderOCZ
03-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Nor do I, especially since you put a new POT on.....what kind of POT is it? How much did it cost you?

Are you setting the Vdimm in the bios to 2.85?

Dissolved
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Nor do I, especially since you put a new POT on.....what kind of POT is it? How much did it cost you?

Are you setting the Vdimm in the bios to 2.85?

i spoke with pc-ice and he had similar issues with this mobo and the booster.

i noticed a small Voltage GAIN when the system is under load.

The booster also goes from 40c (idle) to 70c+ under load. i have a prove on the top back part of the fets-heatsink..

So there seems to be many factors with this mobo and booster. While i respect both gigabyte and ocz, i simply cannot get a decent overclock with the two with as much heat as the booster and other components in the case are making.

Ive upped the voltage to 3.0 flat, and its not drooping or dropping voltage under load. so i may go to the mobo vdimm mod it self and see if i get more stable vdimm voltage, if not, maybe ill have the booster tested in a few mobos then see if someone else is interested in it, as there seems to be a conflict with the mobo and booster.

Last question before im about done..

Is there a way i can just have the booster Read the current Vdimm only and not pump any voltage into the ddr sockets? im not electrical smart (yet) so i dont know if i could just have it read current voltage instead of changeing it, as i could use the led readouts for the VR mod on the mobo itself.

Thanks,

STEvil
03-03-2005, 11:21 PM
have you taken the DMM and measured the voltage to be sure what the display is showing is correct?

Tibu
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Sorry to bring back from the dead but thought I'd point out that I'm having the EXCAT SAME PROBLEM WORD BY WORD that dissolved is having. An OCZ technician advised me to replace the stock pot with a 15 turn 10k pot and see if it fixes it.

Will replace the pot tomorrow if I have time and update.

andyOCZ
03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Sorry to bring back from the dead but thought I'd point out that I'm having the EXCAT SAME PROBLEM WORD BY WORD that dissolved is having. An OCZ technician advised me to replace the stock pot with a 15 turn 10k pot and see if it fixes it.

Will replace the pot tomorrow if I have time and update.

OCZ techs would never advise you to change the pot, voiding your warranty. If you don't care about the warranty this is a great mod. :) It's up to you, but I recommend the results. ;)

Tibu
03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
...Um I don't want to get anyone in trouble but, I was infact advised to change the pot. It in fact turned out to be a faulty stock pot and now the booster works fine.