PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Intel/Microsoft Conspiracy?

Spanky Deluxe
03-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you guys thought this whole Windows XP Proffesional 64 bit thing is just some nasty little deal between Intel and Microsoft. It seems a bit of a coincidence that just when Intel finally announces its 64 bit processors that Microsoft says its going to release XP64 in the coming months.

The only 'legit' explaination that I can see is that Microsoft didn't want to release the software until it had drivers available for the Intel 64 bit processors but surely they could have just released XP64 and then have had a service pack ready by now to update it for all of the Intel stuff.

XP64 has been available as a Beta for what seems like years now (is it actually years??), which seems to be way longer than other beta OSes I've used.

Any views?

Disposibleteen
03-03-2005, 08:23 AM
there might be something going on there but i think that microsoft saw that intel had the larger market share over AMD and decided to wait until intel had 64bit procs.

Charles Wirth
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Intel went to Microsoft and made an agreement that Microsoft would not release a 64bit OS until Intel was ready. I knoew this long ago and knew that development would be non exisatant on that platform for some time.

The documents were on up microsoft for a long time and the way to locate them was to do a search on microsoft site for "yamhill" and then search the only result page for yamhill again. Microsoft took the court papers down after I linked it up on a few forums.

The anser is yes, Microsoft and Intel had a deal to limit development on that OS until Intel was ready to deliver the CPU.

fastvfr
03-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Just another way to suppress the competition; in this case, AMD.

So, yeah.

Spanky Deluxe
03-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Cool thanks guys!!

I'd always heard about 'Wintel' stuff before and how they were in each other's pocket but I'd never really thought about it that much or seen any direct proof of it. But here we are!!

:)

Phil

jaguarking11
03-12-2005, 08:52 PM
actualy 64bit xp has been in the works as long as regular xp has been in the works. I stumbled on 64bit xp in early 2002. It was on a irc server and within a cuple of hours the server literaly disapered off the chanles.

It may have been a contract within ms and intel to relese at the same time. But as we all know MS implements intel instruction sets well b4 it does any amd instruction sets, and also the fact that the majory of the planet uses intel cpu's means that ms is protecting itself by forming a unholy aliance between hardware and software vendors.

But all is not bad. For users like me it may mean that the next upgrade I plan on doing will have hardware and software tweked for eachother and possibly give me a stabler system.

Ah well its all m$'s fault... It always is.