PDA

View Full Version : Where (or how) do I get X.org 6.8 for Mandrake 10.1 Official?

MajorPayne
02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I installed Mandrake 10.1 Official recently, and I really like it. I have everything working correctly (including my Airlink+ wireless card, thanks to NdisWrapper) EXCEPT for my ATI All-In-Wonder 8500. I get no Tv-out, and I know the card's TV-out works in Windows (I am dual booting Mandrake and XP currently). I am sure I need to install the ATI drivers for this card, but they require X.org 6.8, and Mandrake 10.1 Official comes with only X.org 6.7. I have tried (and failed) to find where to get a RPM of X.org 6.8 for Mandrake 10, and I have been completely stumped. I cannot find this RPM anywhere. I tried installing the ATI driver anyway, but it then will not boot X at all (only a shell). I haveAVE found the download for X.org 6.8 SOURCE files from the X.org website, but I do not know what to do with them. Does anyone here know where to get an RPM of X.org 6.8 for Mandrake 10, or if not, what do I do with the X.0rg 6.8 source files?

smokey
02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Go to your Media Manager in the Mandrake Control Center
Click Add...
Select the FTP server radio button
Enter "Cooker" for the name (or whatever you want to really...)
In the URL field type: ftp://ftp.cs.ucr.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/
(there are other FTP sites but this one seems to work the best for me)
Enter ./hdlist.cz for the "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist" field
Select OK
After the system has completed updating select OK to get out of Media Manager

Go to Install and do a search for Xorg and you should find the Xorg6.8 packages. Be advised that there is risk in using any software from Cooker, so, proceed at your own risk.

MajorPayne
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Go to your Media Manager in the Mandrake Control Center
Click Add...
Select the FTP server radio button
Enter "Cooker" for the name (or whatever you want to really...)
In the URL field type: ftp://ftp.cs.ucr.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/
(there are other FTP sites but this one seems to work the best for me)
Enter ./hdlist.cz for the "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist" field
Select OK
After the system has completed updating select OK to get out of Media Manager

Go to Install and do a search for Xorg and you should find the Xorg6.8 packages. Be advised that there is risk in using any software from Cooker, so, proceed at your own risk.

I will try this later tonight! Thanks Smokey, you have been very helpful in all of my linux question threads, and I really appreciate it!

By the way, what is cooker, and why is it risky to use thier software (I have heard this from others too). Are they quasi-legal hackers who may plant stuff, or just people who do thier best to get things working where others have not, but it may not work for everyone?

smokey
03-01-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm glad I've been able to help - that's what these fora are all about! Cooker is actually the development version of Mandrake. Thus, by installing one or more Cooker packages, you are actually running ahead of the RELEASE cycle. This has been known to cause problems, but in this particular case, I'm not aware of X.org 6.8 causing problems for anyone. If you _do_ have problems, we'll work them out. ;)

MajorPayne
03-01-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm glad I've been able to help - that's what these fora are all about! Cooker is actually the development version of Mandrake. Thus, by installing one or more Cooker packages, you are actually running ahead of the RELEASE cycle. This has been known to cause problems, but in this particular case, I'm not aware of X.org 6.8 causing problems for anyone. If you _do_ have problems, we'll work them out. ;)
OK, I will definitely get these tonight. I do not mind at all running a little ahead of the release cycle (especially when running ahead will get my videocard working right). I just hesitate to download from questionable sources, so I appreciate the info on Cooker. I WAS wondering why X.org 6.8 was not included in drake 10.1, but now I know... They are working on putting it in, but have not got the final release with it built in ready yet.

I have not worked with Mandrake before (I have used other distros including Redhad and some older ones, and I was weaned on HP-UX back in 1997), so some of it's oddities are new to me. In particular, I am not sure if I like thier push to PAY for many things about Mandrake (Linux is supposed to be free right?), but I guess that is the price for those not willing to try it on thier own (or at least ask in a forum :D ). It still seems possibly more commercial than I would like (athough who am I to talk about commercial, since I make a living supporting Windows/Mac, etc.).

smokey
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Mandrake, RedHat and SuSE are the main proponents of Commercial Linux (other than IBM, but that's a tangential issue). They are the companies that show up in FORTUNE or Wired to introduce the CTOs to the FOSS world. I see them as a necessary evil - Linux has come a long way since it started showing signs of acceptance in the Enterprise scene. However, its place there is not without costs, namely the cost of some of the psuedoreligious tenants that the Linux platform stands for. Chicken-and-egg scenario, and the topic of many flame wars...