PDA

View Full Version : The G5 question

bacon
02-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Hey guys, currently running a cathar G4, but have very tempted to go for a G5

but i have a few questions

The jets as i understand are much finer on the G5 than the G4, are these likely to lcog up with something as simple as additive deposit from say zerex?

A knowledgable friend of mine recently took his G4 apart and found zerex had left a deposited layer on his internals, nothing bad had happened but if left for a few more months who knows, and with a g5 this problem would have been worse

Just curious on your views as its going to be a fairly expensive upgrade for about 0.75C, assuming id be getting approx 1.5gpm from my AQX with a G5, HL, 120.3 in my loop

MaxxxRacer
02-27-2005, 07:21 PM
dont upgrade... its not worth the 210 dollars and unoticable performance difference (unless you got some sophisticated equipment like pH)..

and it would most likely clod up with zerex type stuff unless you had a filter on ur loop like cathar does.

bacon
02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
was what i was thinking with the jets being finer and all, got some larger ID barbs to go on my G4 yet which i havent yet added, and a oversized T, that will prob make more of a difference lol

still may get one, im sure someone will have it off me if i dont want it after playing ;)

MaxxxRacer
02-27-2005, 07:32 PM
lol... u have a sickness... its called the flamming wallet....

bacon
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
lol the flamming wallet that has **** all in it ;)

i just like to play, im sure id get my cash back on it

MaxxxRacer
02-27-2005, 07:46 PM
yah.. wait a year and you will make money on it...

Butcher_
02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
If your wallet gets too hot, feel free to empty it out on me. I can take the heat. ;)

Craig
02-27-2005, 09:20 PM
A simple and low resistence filter like used in automotive fuel lines would be a good move. And so long as you've no aluminum in the loop you can go with very little additives anyway.

Would be interested in seein any gains you make. But first Cathar has to get a batch of G5's ready to go. AFAIK he's going to do one soon, so would be getting your name on the list if you want one of these as the G5's made will be limited in number.

I'm looking forward to getting one.

Ancient_1
02-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I guess he will be taking orders till about the 14th of March. Here is a quote from the e-mail he sent out.

I will be ordering in the silver over a number of batch orders. The first
silver order will happen on the 7th March, the second on the 14th March,
and a final order on the 21st of March. If you put a deposit on a block
before any of these dates, your deposit will be used to order in the silver
for you on the next available order date, and your block will receive priority
ahead of others who pay later.

And here is posted on OCAU

Otherwise, if you want a G5 block, then you pretty much have until the 14th March to email me to get onto the ordering sequence for this round of G5 blocks.

Grov
02-28-2005, 03:42 AM
I thought you were a student Bacon, lol! :p:

qdemn7
02-28-2005, 03:54 AM
A simple and low resistence filter like used in automotive fuel lines would be a good move. And so long as you've no aluminum in the loop you can go with very little additives anyway. I believe the type of filter Cathar has recommended is a micro irrigation filter. (http://dripworksusa.com/store/filters.html) Scroll to the bottom of the page for item # FI200.

Stainless Fine Screen In-Line Filter
A stainless steel screen inside a white PVC body. This provides finer filtering for T-Tape and Misters.
Remember, this filter must be disconnected from the water line to be cleaned. Maximum flow is 7 GPM.
FI200 200 Mesh $12.00 Qty

So with stainless stell there should be no galvanism, plus it can be disassembled to be cleaned. Cathar has also said putting the filter BEFORE the pump is a flow killer.

I KNEW there was something I need to order for my upcoming system. Thanks for reminding me Craig.

bacon
02-28-2005, 05:03 AM
I thought you were a student Bacon, lol! :p:

lol i am, im on the list for one if i want one, but im not sure i want to fork out the extra £60 for an upgrade to it from my G4. for less hassle i may just stick with the G4 as much as id like to try a G5

btw just got a 3000 48 spaw prime stable at 2.8ghz :toast:

Grov
02-28-2005, 07:26 AM
How do you have enough money for Beer and hoes?

bacon
02-28-2005, 08:29 AM
How do you have enough money for Beer and hoes?

got a gf so no need for hoes, and beer, well thats my OD ;)

Craig
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind, this filter thing is not a big deal.

Once your water's been running through it for a couple days, mostly to make sure nothing was hiding in the rad ect., you can remove it. I say this as I'm sure anyone buying a G5 isn't going to run anything but bottled distilled water though it.

Also as silver is a natural biocide, you don't need much additives for elimination of biologics, though a small amount is recomended by Cathar anyway, so long as there is NO ALUMINUM AT ALL IN THE LOOP! Due to the fact that silver will attack aluminum even faster than copper, only a FOOL would allow any aluminum in the loop with a 210$ Storm G5, regardless of how much additives were used, even if the higher % of additives wouldn't clog the G5.

The silver base isn't the only reason for the G5's higher cost. The added machining time of the more exacting & detailed G5 is also a added cost that is included in the higher price.

Let's face it guys, this is a XTREMIST'S final touch. The added drop in temps is, as Maxxx posted, really quite small.

But then again, I recall how the SS Cascade, which also had smaller jets than the standard, gave O/C's for some better than the use of silver alone would indicate it should. This was due to the fact that the smaller & more numerous jets better cooled small internal hot spots of the core than the larger, but fewer, jets of the copper Cascade. Cathar reported about a 80mhz gain in O/C himself. Up to the user to decide if that would be worth chasing.

Heh, something to think about although there's no way of knowing if this will hold true for anyone with the G5 Storm. ;)