PDA

View Full Version : need a little winXP recovery help

pik-ard v1.1
02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
well... i've had a bit of trouble with my SATA drive and winXP install...

was doing some superpi stuff, then i got a crash, and it rebooted... and bam. no sata drive. bios, tried to auto-detect it, no-go. :( tried all sorts of stuff, switching cables, etc... nothing worked

booted up a few days later, and bam, the mobo found the drive. cool beans. but, it would get to the part of booting up windowsXP, when the blue thingy's go across the little bar... this (http://www.hostov.net/support/pics/16.gif) screen here. it would finish that, then go black, the pitch black of NO video being fed to the monitor.

searched around, found this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=462481#post462481) post here. went to do what is described... and get the results as displayed below (attachment).

any further tips? is the hard drive dead (enough for RMA?)

and, so far as i know, ALL the sata ports on my motherboard are locked, so it wasnt from OC'ing. either heat (doubt it, sits right behind the front case fan), or i got a lemon. :stick:

Disposibleteen
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
what drive is it? if you cant address it and view the directory with windows recovery then it might be toasted. Try a different SATA drive that you know is good, find a friends if you dont have another

kouch
02-25-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah could just be a bad drive. If its still under warrenty, rma it asap :)

pik-ard v1.1
02-25-2005, 07:51 PM
it DID work for a while, as i said i was doing some superpi off of it.

i assume you mean it just failed on me now?

i've already got an RMA approved, so just getting it to the post office is all i need to do.

the drive is a maxtor diamondmax 10 300gb.

and i dont have any other sata drives... just a few IDE drives. probably will install one of them (although only 5400rpm) as my windows drive, as i can atleast trust the thing...

[old man voice]gosh darned new(ish) technology... first the microwave, now SATA drives... :stick: [/old man voice]

boshi
02-26-2005, 01:16 AM
All the hard drive companies have good rmas as far as I know.

pik-ard v1.1
02-26-2005, 04:35 PM
should i rma to newegg, or try and figure out how to rma to maxtor?