PDA

View Full Version : KDE vs Gnome for my new Mandrake Install?

MajorPayne
02-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I have gotten Mandrake 10.1 Official to install for my TV computer. I will be using this system for playing DVD's to our television (I have an ATI AllInWonder 8500 card for that), and my wife will be using it for this, email, games, etc. I have used both KDE and Gnome in the past, and like them both, but I have not used the current version of either one. I would like to get honest opinions of which one would be better for both me (who loves to play around and change stuff), and my wife (who wants me to NOT play with stuff, and likes things stable, and easy to use). I would appreciate any recommendations on which would be better (and why), or suggestions of alternate desktops.

Honda250sx1986
02-22-2005, 05:37 PM
im not so sure which one is most stable but for the junk your are doing prolly KDE and also check out xfce

sllywhtboy
02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
since she'll be using it, ask what she preffers? :p:

--slly

smokey
02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Usage requirements, especially with a GUI are hard to judge. You should just give them both a 'trial run', and decide which you like better.

I use fluxbox. ;) /shameless plug

redgoo
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I agree on trying them out - there isn't really isn't too much difference in the end.

I like KDE as it is a little more polished, IMO.

MajorPayne
02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
since she'll be using it, ask what she preffers? :p:

--slly
Are you kidding?!?! My wife still bemoans the fact that we use a computer instead of her old (and I mean OLD) word processor thingey!!! I have learned not to ask her questions like this... It is better for both of us :D

MajorPayne
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Usage requirements, especially with a GUI are hard to judge. You should just give them both a 'trial run', and decide which you like better.

I use fluxbox. ;) /shameless plug
Plugs are OK! This is the kind of thing I am looking for, since I want to find out what options are out there, AND why people use them. So plug away folks, Im a-learnin here.

smokey
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Want to know why I use it? I use fluxbox (BlackBox, XFCE and IceWM are capable alternatives) because it offers a fast, clean interface is pure XLib calls, with little-to-no overhead. This may not be exactly what you are looking for in a First Time User GUI, but for those of us that use it [Linux/UNIX] every day in production environments every flop/bit counts!

masterofpuppets
02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
I use Fluxbox for memory-intensive stuff and KDE for general use. But it's all personal taste.