PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever own a ford explorer? ('93 and newer)

STEvil
02-22-2005, 12:34 AM
First: Dont tell me its an SUV and therefor a gas guzzler and the bane of humanity.

Second: 1993, LOADED (leather interrior, outdoor temp sensors, auto-darkening rear-view mirror.. every option in the book basically), 4.0L V-6, 4 speed auto (will need to change this), v. nice condition (couple small rust spots on rear wheel wells, easily fixed), $1300 CDN.

I think it'll fit my needs quite well, even though i'm not really a ford guy.. so anyone ever own one of these and happen to know something that would be good to look into?

Rukee
02-22-2005, 05:23 AM
the Ford explorer is the biggest loser, no other truck on the market loses more value then the explorer after it`s driven off the lot!!

STEvil
02-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Its ford, thats pretty much expected.

lalPOOO
02-22-2005, 12:38 PM
My father has a 91 which has just over 200k on it. All the years we've owned it theres never been any real work done on the engine. Pretty nice car, and it still runs well. For 1500 Canadian I think its a good deal :)
Minor beef, its a bit slow... ;)

edit: you might want to check to see if 4wheel drive actually works on it...

STEvil
02-22-2005, 08:56 PM
yup, 4-wheel works.

Tranny has problems shifting when cold but I think its just the filter needing to be changed. Will pick up a wreck or something compatable with a manual in it and swap trannies sometime down the road probably if I get it.

sjohnson
02-22-2005, 09:04 PM
STEvil - if you don't want it, maybe I can come up and buy it instead. "bit slow" is fine, fast is for sports and touring cars. I've got one kid driving and another just got her learner's permit, either would kill for a drive like that. $1300, nice buy!

STEvil
02-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Indeed ;)

Uncle owns it, so $1300 is my price I guess.. :P

skate2snow
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
it is a good price.... At least when I think that my bro just bought a Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 second hand for 15k$ and we called that adeal:D.

You have nothing to loose.... And a plus is that it is your uncle that is selling it, so you may have more confidence....

Rocket
02-24-2005, 03:19 PM
My friends Explorer was a guttless wonder and used way to much gas for the performance it gave.
I borrowed it to drive up to Northbay....it had troubles keeping the speed limit on the hills.
It wasn`t very stable on the highway either...(be very carefull if you are going to tow anything with much weight)
I was so happy to drive my own car after that trip...lol

My Ranger pickup drove about the same....just sold the piece of junk for what i could get.

Stewie007
02-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Ford's are only good for loading with explosives, taking to the Salt Flats, and blowing up for amusement.

jjcom
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Ford's are only good for loading with explosives, taking to the Salt Flats, and blowing up for amusement.

I have friends who would really enjoy doing that. Mainly the blowing up part :D

jjcom

sjohnson
03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
A controlled/designed explosive demolition of any car would make it easy to sell kegger tickets.

My favorite class in college was explosives (Mining Engineering). Field trips to quarries and mines to set off an explosive pattern you designed was just too much fun :D

I also worked in an underground mine - the Homestake in Lead, SD. Still in production at the time, there's something xtremely awesome about being over 5000 feet below the surface and dropping the hammer to blow a stope :D :D

STEvil
03-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Hah.. I got a better idea.

Build electronically controlled demo-durby cars and charge people $50 a pop to drive them in a demo durby... or maybe some short track racing too :D

After initial expenses of the electronics im sure there would be people/companies/whatever willing to donate some money towards building them up, and donate the bulk of the ~$50 to charities and stuff. Gotta keep a bit to be able to cover a couple costs here or there (gas, repairs, etc for example) but it would be fun to do.. ;)

matt9669
03-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Been driving a '96 Explorer for years. It's one of the Eddie Bauer models with a V8 etc (has a little more headroom than the average, hehe) but got it cheap b/c it was a demo model.

More than a little beatup after being driven by both me and my bro throughout high school, but still runs well 62000 miles later. I say that's a steal, even if it needs some tranny work :up:

STEvil
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I thought only Bronco had the Eddie Bauer edition?

d]g[ts
03-23-2005, 02:42 PM
many a ford 4WD vehicles caried a eddie Buaer edition. just a higher trim package than the more common XLT's
1300 for a 93 isnt bad. But they do eat a bit more gas than other cars with similar engines. thats the only drawback.

lalPOOO
03-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Actually, as a small update from me, it wasn't 200k that my dads explorer has, its 300k+ :D

matt9669
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
They're tough alright, 300k damn . . .

jjcom
03-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Man...300k. Still running good?

jjcom

lalPOOO
03-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Yea runs nicely. Took it out in the snow with my dad a week or so ago and did donuts in a big empty parking lot after it had just snowed, for a 91' it can still put out fairly well.

The real test for it will be surviving me once I get my hands on it in a month or two. :devil:

sjohnson
03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
300k, no engine, tranny or drivetrain work? Very nice, if so :toast:

jjcom
03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah, very nice. Must have one heck of an engine in it :D

jjcom

R.Rabbit
04-09-2005, 10:30 PM
my dad had a 93, and the from what i know the transmission was a peice of crap(i think it was an auto and 2wd)

][nSaNe
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
lol i run an auto repair shop where i live... and have had an employee with a explorer (1994) and its one good truck... 4.0l v6 is a great motor.. strong and very non problematic.. if i had one complaint about the explorers is the front end.. its called twin traction beam front suspension and it was fords design to make a independant 4x4 front end. in all its a tough front end.. but a pain to keep in line.. and the tow out huge in reverse... lol its funny to see one in reverse.. they look broken.. but in all they are a good buy.
dont diss ford ppl as they have made... some awesome rides.

edit.. and yea 300k is nothing of the 4.0L if it is maintained well.. regular services etc.. and the trannys in the 4x4 are good... keep them serviced as well. a problem i see on most explorers is after a long summer the motor that activates the 4x4 that is bolted to the transfer case has a tendancy to stick.. there expensive to replace... but ive never seen one that if you cant get moving again with some wd-40.. lol..

amd4me
05-19-2005, 05:55 PM
the Ford explorer is the biggest loser, no other truck on the market loses more value then the explorer after it`s driven off the lot!!
And they have huge reliabilty problems. And they came with a v-8 loaded.
Not the v6.

yup, 4-wheel works.

Tranny has problems shifting when cold but I think its just the filter needing to be changed. Will pick up a wreck or something compatable with a manual in it and swap trannies sometime down the road probably if I get it.
]
BTW the manual tranny froma v6 f-150 bolts right up.
Just fwi.

Lithan
05-19-2005, 06:00 PM
You do know what a transmission change costs I'm assuming? Cheaper to just buy a standard to begin with.

Also, yeah gas guzzler. I drive a NEON (30-35mpg iirc) and every other week Im dumping 25-30$ into it. I used to drive a 77 impala v8 (3 speed auto iirc), (9-14mpg) I could barely afford to eat while I owned that thing.

STEvil
05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Changing the tranny would cost as much as getting the required parts (rear output shaft to transfer case if its external or to rear differential if not) and slapping it in.. wouldnt be the first tranny i've swapped.

The one i've still got a line on (if its not sold yet) is a V-6 amd4me, and loaded.

Lithan - A bit of work and you could have been pushing 22mpg or so from that impala. My brother has a short box F-150 with 351 thats been chipped and uses EFI.. ~$35 to fill the tank at 0.80c/litre $cdn and it gets about 20mpg ish if you dont have your foot in it all the time.

Of course that was before he found the new engine thats being put into it right now (I think he said it was a 460, i'll have to ask him again).

I do know how expensive it is to run a V-8 thats sucking gas though. My first vehicle was a 1980 GMC Heavy Half with 350 and 4 barrel 650cfm Holley carb. Sure, it was pushing around 400hp and fun.. but damn that sucked to fill both tanks lol :D

Rukee
05-20-2005, 07:07 AM
You wanna talk bad mileage? `65 GTO with a factory big block and Tri-Power. At full throttle it bout like to suck the paint off the hood!! :woot:

I sell motors and trannys with lifetime warranties including labor. :bravo:

amd4me
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
You wanna talk bad mileage? `65 GTO with a factory big block and Tri-Power. At full throttle it bout like to suck the paint off the hood!! :woot:

I sell motors and trannys with lifetime warranties including labor. :bravo:
There was this guy down the street from me @ my old house and he had a chevy Belair with a 540.
Apparently it got 2 miles to the gallon.