PDA

View Full Version : radiator additive

Fasedw
02-20-2005, 12:08 PM
I have bought some Royal Purple Ice to put in my water cool system, should I still put in some antifreeze with it and distilled water? Anybody use this stuff? :)

MaxxxRacer
02-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Never heard of it. Where did you get it at? If it is a corrosion inhibitor then I dont think that you antifreeze as it will just hurt your temps.

Fasedw
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Never heard of it. Where did you get it at? If it is a corrosion inhibitor then I dont think that you antifreeze as it will just hurt your temps.Checker automotive stores. It provides corrosion resistance against pitting and erosion 10.00 a pint :)

MaxxxRacer
02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
well basedo on taht, just use it without any other additives.

Ad Rock
02-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Some anti-freeze might be an ok idea since it could help kill any bacteria in the system.

Fasedw
02-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Some anti-freeze might be an ok idea since it could help kill any bacteria in the system.yeah I'll put some. :)

mouawad
02-22-2005, 07:59 AM
is anti-freeze enough for bacteria killing? or do i need to get something else as well.

i heard about a guy using listerine ...lol...it's good for our mouths ...how about a
wc loop?

MaxxxRacer
02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
i wouldnt suggest listerine... ati-freeeze isnt for bacteria killing, but its an incredibly poinsinous chemical so im sure it will do the trick.

pissboy
02-22-2005, 09:02 AM
At my work we have some coolant lines for some CNC machines. We were running 50% glycol 50%water and kept on adding water to it to make up for the losses. After a while we did see growth, and called up Dow to ask about it. They told us that glycol levels lower than 25% will start to see growth and a higher percentage of it was needed to keep its toxicity up.

FWIW we use Dowtherm SR-1, although being that it is fluorescent pink, I dont know too many people that would want it in their cases. :)

http://www.dow.com/heattrans/family/dowsr/index.htm
http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litorder.asp?filepath=heattrans/pdfs/noreg/180-01312.pdf&pdf=true

MaxxxRacer
02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
interesting stuff there. its important to note that the etylene glycol is not what is making the bacteria die. there are seperate chemicals that are put into antifreeze to do that. Zerex for instance is able to keep bacteria away with a much smaller pectentage than 25. but it also wont protect against freezing either. Its made for racing engines.