PDA

View Full Version : P4 Mounting of Maze3: Mobo holes

NoEcho
11-24-2002, 09:18 PM
I've been watercooling for over a year now but just recently bought and Intel rig: Abit BE7 and P4 2.4 B. The board may be nice when Abit figures out its bios but I'm not inclined to wait. It can't be overclocked; it's going back.

So I'm looking for a decent OC'able P4 board.

Here's the problem: where are the friggin holes? Are the holes that the Maze3 uses to mount only on some boards, are they from where the P4's HSF mounts? Or are almost no new P4 boards sporting holes?

KnightElite
11-24-2002, 09:48 PM
There should be holes on every P4 board, the UMS (Universal Mounting System) for the heatsink requires them. You have to take it off before you can mount the waterblock. Also, for the Maze, you need the Maze P4, since the Maze 3 only has AMD mounting holes AFAIK.

Charles Wirth
11-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Maze 3 fits socket 478, I use a Maze 3-1 it is the same as Maze 3 except I can attach a coltplate for peltier use. It comes pre drilled for use of up to 50mmx50mm pelt.

KnightElite
11-25-2002, 03:38 AM
It fits socket 478? Okay, I just checked DDs site, it takes a different top to do it, that's why I was calling it a Maze P4, which would actually appear to be a Maze 2 wtih P4 holes.

I stand corrected Fugger.

NoEcho
11-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. :D

Surprised to see you here KE, happily surprised.

So there's some way to remove the mount for the P4 stock HSF. I'll look for it.

The Maze 3 I got has a top drilled for P4 and a base drilled for both P4 and AMD (so I can supercool the Hammer when that comes out).

Feels kind of silly right now, got the P4 running stock air cooling in a full tower with complete water rig dangling useless.

Over the weekend I'm going to mount the maze 3. One just unscrews from the back? Couldn't see any screw mounts inside the HSF enclosure.

KnightElite
11-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Good to see you here too NoEcho. In order to remove the UMS, you have to take out the motherboard (which you have to do to install the Maze 3 in any case) and then remove the heatsink. You should see a small white pins on each corner to the UMS. Remove these pins. After that, you should be able to pull it off without too much trouble.