PDA

View Full Version : radiator big enough?

Fasedw
02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi I,m getting a msi k8n neo 2 motherboard with a A64 4000+ 939 cpu, Ok i'm going to water cool I got the dangerden tdx copper block for the cpu and the maze 4 copper chipset block, plus a Black Ice pro 120 radiator, Oh and have a hydro L30 pump. I,m goimg to overclock hopefully from 2.4 to 2.7 if I can, Do you think this radiator will be big enough? It will be mounted outside the back of the case with the swiftech mcb 120 radbox radiator mounting kit. :confused:

redgoo
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
That is very close to the setup I have ordered. I'm getting the TDX, MAZE4, Black Ice Extreme 120, Swiftech Radbox, Aquaextreme 50z pump, and a resevoir. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on the radiator size as well as that is something that concerns me slightly. I'll have 2x120 fans on it.

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
I may be a bit cynical as I used a dual heatercore, but I dont think the single 120mm rads are up to the task of cooling a video card and cpu of that caliber. it would be fine if u were running an old low power video card (but what woudl be the point of WC ing that).

It seems that budget is NOT an issue for you, so I suggest you get a dual heatercore. Not sure how you woudl fit it in ur case, but it would deffinetly be a much wiser decision.

Nettwerk
02-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Junk the black ice pro and put a dtek-120 instead.

Craig
02-18-2005, 09:57 AM
He's talking about a modest O/C of 2.7

So while there's no question at all that the Black Ice Pro is a minimal rad, I'll have to disagree and say it'll work OK. Provided he's being honest in his O/C desires......if he's really like most of us.........NO.

The Black Ice Pro is only good for low noise for most uses as it allows a lower pressure/noise fan.

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Craig, its not the cpu that scares me, its the gpu. the 6800 gpu outputs more heat than the athlon does.. so its like having a second cpu.. Granted it will cool it better than air cooling would, but the increase would be a modest one compared to a larger rad.

Fasedw
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Craig, its not the cpu that scares me, its the gpu. the 6800 gpu outputs more heat than the athlon does.. so its like having a second cpu.. Granted it will cool it better than air cooling would, but the increase would be a modest one compared to a larger rad.I,m not cooling the video card, I have a zalman reservator one for that all by itself. Just the cpu and the motherboard chipset, I'm getting a dangerden dual 120 double row just for good measure and it will be mounted outside my case.

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
the heatercore?

lol.. well I suggest the weapon heatercore. but thats just me.. I have the danger den one and it wasnt nearly the quality work as what weapon does.. but it is a good rad.

but for cpu only the single 120should be ok for the mild oc that you are doing.. ur cpu wont benefit a whole lot from the extra rad power.

Fasedw
02-20-2005, 08:44 AM
the heatercore?

lol.. well I suggest the weapon heatercore. but thats just me.. I have the danger den one and it wasnt nearly the quality work as what weapon does.. but it is a good rad.

but for cpu only the single 120should be ok for the mild oc that you are doing.. ur cpu wont benefit a whole lot from the extra rad power.Black ice extreme 2 radiator, should be good right? just for the cpu and motherboard chipset. :)

MaxxxRacer
02-20-2005, 03:35 PM
BIX2 has issues imo. That and its priced at 2x of a heatercore +shroud which will give more performance.

Fasedw
02-20-2005, 03:40 PM
BIX2 has issues imo. That and its priced at 2x of a heatercore +shroud which will give more performance.What issues
:confused:

MaxxxRacer
02-20-2005, 04:16 PM
1. No real shroud, thus decreasing possible airflow and increasing air turbulence which increases noise.
2. Paint chips off
3. Overpriced for what you get.
4. More flow restriction compared to a Heatercore.

Fasedw
02-20-2005, 05:42 PM
1. No real shroud, thus decreasing possible airflow and increasing air turbulence which increases noise.
2. Paint chips off
3. Overpriced for what you get.
4. More flow restriction compared to a Heatercore.already ordered it, but I see what your talking about now, I seen the dual radiator core and the shourds you can get too, Well it still should cool enough as it will be mounted outside on the back of my case don,t you think? I,ll be hooking the thing up on a rad box outside my case, the top half of the dual will be connected to the rad box which should be enough to hold it at the back of my case I think, and then to 120mm fans pushing air through the radiator. :)

MaxxxRacer
02-20-2005, 06:24 PM
hmm.. I cant exactly get a picture of what your saying. When u have it finished show me some pics. If you can make it so the radbox moves the fans away from teh face of the rad you will get some extra performance and have it a bit more quiet.

Fasedw
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
hmm.. I cant exactly get a picture of what your saying. When u have it finished show me some pics. If you can make it so the radbox moves the fans away from teh face of the rad you will get some extra performance and have it a bit more quiet.You mean pull the air through the radiator?

MaxxxRacer
02-21-2005, 03:40 PM
yep