PDA

View Full Version : it7 vmem mod

phantompunisher
11-24-2002, 11:12 AM
i read the thread below but its still unclear as to witch resister to solder to. the picture seems to show one but it sounds like they are talking about a different one.

hipro5
11-24-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by phantompunisher
i read the thread below but its still unclear as to witch resister to solder to. the picture seems to show one but it sounds like they are talking about a different one.

Hi there.....It's the SECOND one from the left witch you have wroten(...or this one....)..... ;)

phantompunisher
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
this dosnt seem to be working. the board i have is actualy a it7 not a it7 max2. the layout is the same though but i have found the spec sheet for the mem voltage chip here http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FA/FAN5063.pdf
yea resistor number two is the one to mod but there must be something else limiting the voltage

hipro5
11-27-2002, 03:24 AM
What do you "exactly" get with the Mod?...

phantompunisher
11-27-2002, 01:50 PM
i get 2.97 for a max witchis the same as when im using 3.2 in the modded bios. i belive i have found the problem: http://www.samhop.com.tw/pdf/SDP(B)55N03L.pdf

i have a drain source voltage of 2.98. i belive if this were 3.3 then the full 3.3 would flow through. the mosfet is not fed by the 5 volt line as i once thought. i have run tests from 2.5 -3.2 and taken measure ments at all points of interest. i will do some more investigation. its not for lack of a strong 3.3 line, if this is what the mosfet is run from, because my 3.3 is reading 3.29v

hipro5
11-27-2002, 02:38 PM
i get 2.97 for a max witchis the same as when im using 3.2 in the modded bios. i belive i have found the problem: http://www.samhop.com.tw/pdf/SDP(B)55N03L.pdf

i have a drain source voltage of 2.98. i belive if this were 3.3 then the full 3.3 would flow through. the mosfet is not fed by the 5 volt line as i once thought. i have run tests from 2.5 -3.2 and taken measure ments at all points of interest. i will do some more investigation. its not for lack of a strong 3.3 line, if this is what the mosfet is run from, because my 3.3 is reading 3.29v

You have to Mod your PSU to get at least 3,5Volts so you can get 3,2Vmem....coz the Mos-Fet "get's" Voltage from the 3,3Volts.....

phantompunisher
11-27-2002, 02:42 PM
is that what you had to do? or did your board naturaly supply more voltage to the drain? i cant 3.5 my psu, that would run a lot of things out of spec

phantompunisher
11-27-2002, 08:52 PM
welp i did my own mod after finding out why the it7 has only the 3 volts for memory. there is a diode in line with the 3.3 volt rail on its way to the drain. thats where you loose the .3 volts due to a voltage drop across the diode. its a very strange diode indeed. but anyway i bypassed it and ran the 3.3 to the drain and saw only a slight improvment in mem mhz. it was a fun prodject but ill just hold out for different memory:) thanks hipro5

hipro5
11-28-2002, 01:13 AM
I have done that too but......you HAVE to Mod your PSU as well.... ;)

phantompunisher
11-28-2002, 07:04 AM
nah i only wanted 3.3 volts to the memory. nothing higher.

hipro5
11-28-2002, 01:24 PM
How's that??? :D

JCviggen
11-28-2002, 01:52 PM
I took my Vmem to 3.42 some time ago (Corsair 3200 C2 I think... maybe the 3500 already, not sure) by soldering the 3.3V line from the PSU straight to the mosfet, but I only ended up with worse overclocking... I think my mem would be happier at 3.1-3.2V

hipro5
11-28-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JCviggen
I took my Vmem to 3.42 some time ago (Corsair 3200 C2 I think... maybe the 3500 already, not sure) by soldering the 3.3V line from the PSU straight to the mosfet, but I only ended up with worse overclocking... I think my mem would be happier at 3.1-3.2V

Hey, JC....I like your sign man.....:D :toast:

phantompunisher
11-28-2002, 09:13 PM
i think i figured out what the diode is for. i belive its there to protect the ram from a static charge. so i guess bypassing it is fine. dont quote me though

Tom Holck
11-29-2002, 01:53 AM
i think i figured out what the diode is for. i belive its there to protect the ram from a static charge. so i guess bypassing it is fine. dont quote me though

Have you a picture, where the diode is placed?

Best OC regards

Tom Holck
Denmark
The Homeland of Prometeia:D

phantompunisher
11-29-2002, 07:28 AM
on closer inspection you also bypass the load capaciter. anyone looking to do this as a perminate mod may want to look into adding that cap back in if the mem voltage drops on the start of heavy use. but here is is. jumpering the 3.3 to the bottom (as it is oriented in this pic) of the diode will give you 3.3 to the drain of the mosfet alowing you to select up to 3.2 int he bios and 3.3 with a mod to the second resister as mention at the top of this thread

phantompunisher
11-29-2002, 08:15 AM
actualy just run a jumper from one end of the diode to the other that will give the full 3.3 to the mosfet and keep the capacitor in the circuit

MrIcee
11-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Guys:)

I am very happy to see a success happening here with the IT7 mem volt mods. I would like to publish this as a guide for XtremeSystems with full credit to those successfully coming up with all aspects of the mod. I have an IT7 Max2 ver2.0 that I'll eventually be setting up as a 2nd test bench, and this mod is a major breakthru. Email me at MrIcee@xtremesystems.org with details:)
Thanks in advance !

Randi:D

hipro5
11-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MrIcee
Guys:)

I am very happy to see a success happening here with the IT7 mem volt mods. I would like to publish this as a guide for XtremeSystems with full credit to those successfully coming up with all aspects of the mod. I have an IT7 Max2 ver2.0 that I'll eventually be setting up as a 2nd test bench, and this mod is a major breakthru. Email me at MrIcee@xtremesystems.org with details:)
Thanks in advance !

Randi:D

Thanks MrIcee for your good words and it'll be good to publish it so people can see it and do it to get some benefit as well.... :) :toast:

PiLsY
11-29-2002, 08:18 PM
GJ phantom!

I should state that on my v2.0 board Hipros mod infact fried the vmem controller. However, bypassing the diode looks like it may meet with more success. Im picking up a new board in the morning, so i'll be able to report then what success (if any) I have. I think it may actually proove easier to use conductive paint to simply join the 2 ends of the diode. The jumpered method would give the ability to undo the mod, but if Ive figured this correctly 2.5v in bios should give around 2.85v which would be fine for day to day use. We shall find out tomorrow :).

Again, nice work phantom, and to you as well Hipro5 for sussing out the starting point :).

PiLsY.

PiLsY
11-29-2002, 11:00 PM
Well, i couldnt wait for amtrak to deliver so I drove down to their depot for 6am and picked up by hand ;). Its now 7am here and ive been up all night so bear with me a bit on spelling and grammar.....

Right this mod does NOT work yet on the Max2 v2.0. Its very close, but it needs some tweaking. Ive performed the mod as listed above and seen some very odd results. However I am confident of finalising it and getting more predicatble voltage outputs. At this point in time Ive done the following :

Silver paint across diode, no other mod in place. Zero effect on voltages.

15k fixed resistor across R110 - Very odd results leading to lower than default voltage.

15k fixed resistor across R110 and silver paint across the diode. Nonesensical results listed below :

2.5v = 2.59v
2.6v = 2.59v
2.7v = 2.59v
2.8v = 2.59v
2.9v = 2.64v
3.0v = 2.72v
3.1v = 2.76v
3.2v = 2.85v

This is not a linear climb in voltage, its moving in fits and starts. Here are my results with no mods and a modded bios in place :

2.5v = 2.51v
2.6v = 2.59v
2.7v = 2.68v
2.8v = 2.76v
2.9v = 2.51v
3.0v = 2.59v
3.1v = 2.68v
3.2v = 2.76v

This shows the modded bios HAs worked but that it doesnt actually program the hardware correctly for extra voltage. With mods in place the 2.9v to 3.2v settings do offer a climb in voltage, without they simply mirror 2.5v to 2.8v. All in all very odd.

I hope to have all problems ironed out and some pictures up by tonight if I can find enough free time.

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
11-29-2002, 11:32 PM
son of a gun it looks like they modded the bios in the v2. the sneaky bastages. what vmem chip is on the max2 v2? is it the fan5063m? what do you have for a mosfet drain voltage? wait... actualy the diode jumper wont do anything provided the bios and resister trick arnt working. no use having a higher drain voltage when there will be no signal to release it. this is a bummer your going to have to hunt down the resistors as the bios will be no help to you.
if it is the fan5063 look at pin 12. follow the trace to both of the resistors that you will be looking for. get a reading of the resistance of both. r2 will be connected to grond on one end.

post some picks when you can. this is odd that its diferent

you may have found r1 in witch case if you resistored across it it will have lower voltages

PiLsY
11-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Same vreg, slightly ddifferent layout of resistor. Resistor 4 for example in the bank of 6 SMDs is blank. Nothing connected at all. Pin 7 connects to the resistor to the left of R110, then doubles back and goes through R110.

I should say this is now the second board ive had where the modded bios has done nothing. However, at this moment in time I am alone in this as nobody else on these forums has posted problems with the modded bios. It seems tow ork for everyone else. I am waiting on seeing pics of the vmem reg area of a board that the modded bios works on. Im convinced there are 2 revisions of this board, whether I have an earlier or later one I dont know. I should point out that I am buying form the UK, not the US. It wouldnt be the first time different continents had different revisions of boards. We never saw the early rev KX7-333 whereas the US seemed to get mainly those for the first 2 months of production.

Im trying 7.5k resistance atm, just waiting for the prometia to chill down to boot point :).

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
11-29-2002, 11:52 PM
pin 7? have you found the resisters connected to pin 12? if so what are there values? if there 5k like on my board then anything under 10kish will result in full mosfet drain voltage flowing through to the memory no mater what the bios setting. good luck with it. im going to try to sleep soon

PiLsY
11-29-2002, 11:57 PM
Right, more results...

Re-pasted my other results to compare.

No mods apart from bios :

2.5v = 2.51v
2.6v = 2.59v
2.7v = 2.68v
2.8v = 2.76v
2.9v = 2.51v
3.0v = 2.59v
3.1v = 2.68v
3.2v = 2.76v

Shorted diode, modded bios :

2.5v = 2.51v
2.6v = 2.59v
2.7v = 2.68v
2.8v = 2.76v
2.9v = 2.51v
3.0v = 2.59v
3.1v = 2.68v
3.2v = 2.76v

Shorted diode, 15k resistor across R110, modded bios :

2.5v = 2.59v
2.6v = 2.59v
2.7v = 2.59v
2.8v = 2.59v
2.9v = 2.64v
3.0v = 2.72v
3.1v = 2.76v
3.2v = 2.85v

Shorted diode, 7.5k resistance across R110, modded bios :

2.5v = 2.67v
2.6v = 2.75v
2.7v = 2.84v
2.8v = 2.93v
2.9v = 2.67v
3.0v = 2.75v
3.1v = 2.84v
3.2v = 2.92v

Back to square one on voltage adjustment via bios, but getting increased values. The way its going I think a 5k resistor should see about 3.05 to 3.1v and a 2k resistor should see the full 3.3v max.

Interestingly enough measuring vmem off the mosfet gives 3.33v during pre-chill (halted boot), but as soon as it releases and the bios kicks in it drops down to pre-defined bios values listed above. Very very odd...

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
11-30-2002, 12:09 AM
what is r110? man dont blow another board. use your multimeter and poke around till your sure your modding the right parts. pin 12 is your freind. at 2.5 volts vmem, my pin 12 reads 1.25 volts

PiLsY
11-30-2002, 04:31 AM
Too late ;). Scratch another board.

Anyway, pin7 is drawing 3.3v and pin 12 is going to the first resistor of the bank of 6, then splitting between the cap and R110 (second resistor - the one Hipro mentioned initally). I went to 3.9k across R110 and the cap blew. Took R110 clean off the board as well. Its possibly fixable but im not sure i can be bothered really - these things aint cheap. Gonna go with the Epox 4PEA+ and avoid abit for a while. 2 KR7a's, 1 KX7-333, 2 KD-7s, 2 IT7s, 2 IT7 max2's and now 2 IT7 Max-2 v2.0 boards - all dead in the space of 4 months. Running through a rough streak at the moment. Need to wait it out until the next big thing comes along.

The measurements across the vmem mosfet on my now dead board read 2.08 on the leg closest the boards edge, 3.33 middle pin and 0.08 on the pin closest to the dimm slots. Before it died it was reading vmem on the closest leg to the board edge, 3.33v centre pin and 4.something closest to the dimm slots. Pin 12 is currently reading 2.30v during prechill, as is the vdimm mosfet leg. When it tries to boot it drops to 2.08v and so does the vdimm mosfet leg.

Gonna try replacing that cap as im 100% sure its dead (board is singed underneath it) first, failing that ill just ram the 3.3v line directly onto that mosfet and see what happens.

Any idea what original resistance R110 was? ATM im using my original 15k resistor in place of it (its COMPLETELY gone off the board).

PiLsY.

hipro5
11-30-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by PiLsY
Too late ;). Scratch another board.

Anyway, pin7 is drawing 3.3v and pin 12 is going to the first resistor of the bank of 6, then splitting between the cap and R110 (second resistor - the one Hipro mentioned initally). I went to 3.9k across R110 and the cap blew. Took R110 clean off the board as well. Its possibly fixable but im not sure i can be bothered really - these things aint cheap. Gonna go with the Epox 4PEA+ and avoid abit for a while. 2 KR7a's, 1 KX7-333, 2 KD-7s, 2 IT7s, 2 IT7 max2's and now 2 IT7 Max-2 v2.0 boards - all dead in the space of 4 months. Running through a rough streak at the moment. Need to wait it out until the next big thing comes along.

The measurements across the vmem mosfet on my now dead board read 2.08 on the leg closest the boards edge, 3.33 middle pin and 0.08 on the pin closest to the dimm slots. Before it died it was reading vmem on the closest leg to the board edge, 3.33v centre pin and 4.something closest to the dimm slots. Pin 12 is currently reading 2.30v during prechill, as is the vdimm mosfet leg. When it tries to boot it drops to 2.08v and so does the vdimm mosfet leg.

Gonna try replacing that cap as im 100% sure its dead (board is singed underneath it) first, failing that ill just ram the 3.3v line directly onto that mosfet and see what happens.

Any idea what original resistance R110 was? ATM im using my original 15k resistor in place of it (its COMPLETELY gone off the board).

PiLsY.

Sorry about your losses PiLsY.....The R110 is a 10KOhm resistor.You don't have to put it back on...Put instead a Trimmer of 20KOhms 10 turns,fix it at 10KOhms and then put the MAX bios Vmem(3,2Volts...or 2,9Volts in no Modded bios and trigger it at the MAX Voltage you wish(-0,2Volts below PSU's 3,3Volts),and you are ready.....ALL of this Mod WITHOUT the Memory Module on off caurse.....;)

phantompunisher
11-30-2002, 08:45 AM
son of gun! that stinks! if you get frusterated ill buy the dead board off you, lol. im gonna go post all my readings on the web site so that people have something to go by with there meters.

phantompunisher
11-30-2002, 09:37 AM
ok pilsy youve inspired me to put up all my readings from when i was trying to figure out the circuit. they are at the very bottom of the page
http://www.phantompunisher.netfirms.com/it7_vmem_voltage_mod.htm

PiLsY
11-30-2002, 12:09 PM
punisher - where is the actual first stage of input into the memory system? I need to start at the beginning and work my way in to find which part is dead. Im thinking of replacing that cap (directly to the left of R110 - the taller one) with a higher capacity model.

The numbers im seeing are telling me there is definitely something wrong. The thing is that 2.3v reading starts at pin 12, carries on to whats labelled as point 5 on your site. From there I get a reading at "point 4" (R110) of 2.2v or so?! After that we have point 1 at 3.3v, point 2 at 0.08v and point 3 at 2.3v.

Can you make sense of any of that m8?

The memory is still working fine - tested it it another board. It doesnt even get warm (stays cold to the touch).

Im hoping I dont have a broken track within the PCB anywhere....

Basically we have 2.3v from pin12, which goes direct to point5. From point 5 to the cap, back out the cap to point 4, which reads slightly less than 2.3v. From point 5 to point 3 voltage is back at 2.3v again. Point 1 measures 3.33v and point 2 measures 0.08v.

Now to me this sounds like the problems at the capacitor.

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
11-30-2002, 09:28 PM
i almost dont want to respond for fear of being asociated with this lol. you wont need a higher rated capacitor if things are done right. this mod dosnt run things wildly out of spec. keep your 3.3 line at 3.3 volts and carfuly modify the reference resister(where ever that is on your board) that the vmem chip uses. you want to just barly get the 3.3 volts to flow through. going overboard will result in runing things out of spec. and that is why you saw crazy results. ex: exploding capacitors, voltages that made no sence. As you can see hipro5 has been using this method of modifying the reference resister for a long time now. your going to have to do some homework to pull this off.
first off find out what value your resiters are. mine are 5k(it7) hipro5 says his are 10k on the max2. this info will help detirmine how much damage you did going with the extremely low jumper resisters.

replace the capacitor with the exact same thing as the one that blew up. replace the missing surface mount with the exact same thing. then start taking some readings. your chip may be dead as well, cant rule that out yet.

sorry i dont have much good news but it almost imposibly for me to debug your board from across the ocean and i need all my questions from the posts above answered as well. study the pictures on my site closely youll see the reference resisters in the fan5063 skematic with the pin13 being the signal for vmem control. good luck ill help where i can.

PiLsY
11-30-2002, 11:09 PM
Replaced the cap, replaced the resistor - even went as far as rewiring the traces using wires to try and eiliminate broken tracks, but still no joy. Ive no idea whats broken, but before the board looks too badly damaged ill send it back and try for an RMA.

Im convinced something else failed leading to the cap and resistor dying, but im also pretty sure its nothing I did believe it or not. It could be the vmem mosfet, but ive got to draw the line somewhere. Ive already spend 20+ hours on this board now, time to call it quits and try and RMA it. If the RMA goes through great, if not its an Epox board for me. Everything I modified now has been replaced with fully working components, and its still a no go. Wonder if the cap discharged when it blew and fried something?

When I powered up I had the multimeter in place and measured mem voltage at 2.87v when set in bios to 2.5v. About 5 seconds later the cap went pop and scared the crap out of me :p. Now to me a vmem of 2.87v should not cause anything to go bang, especially a 6.3v cap :mad:. Especially seeing as I previously booted succesfully @ 2.95v. My IT7s both went due to vmem of over 2.9v, both my IT7 Max2s undervolted vmem by a good 0.4v, and now ive lost 2 max2 v2.0 both to vmem problems. Im seeing a trend here - is anyone else? I reckon abit need to pull their finger out and sort this vmem issue. If epox can supply 3.25vmem stock, why in the hell cant Abit? Especially seeing as they have up to 3.2v in bios but hidden. Knowing arse from elbow springs to mind....

PiLsY.

Tom Holck
12-05-2002, 01:47 AM
I have tried the volt mem 4 times 2 on version 1 an 2 on version 2.
Always have at least 2 MOB, so I can compair, an go on, if I fry somesing. It works for me.
I think the mosfet on version 2 are better than on version 1

Have some difficulties on the corevoltmod. Have done both the 7 pin and the 10 pin mod.

The Memvolt is max 3.4 volt. (PSU 3.42V) I use 3.2v on corsiar 3500c2. Then it was posible to go from cas2 7,3,3 to cas 2 6,2,2 . The 3.04V I got with only the biosmod was not sufficient.

Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
Denmark
The Homeland of Prometeia.

PS: today I get some 404R on my Prometia:banana: :banana:

Natedog
12-06-2002, 11:38 AM
I am also having the same problems as Pilsy was having. Was there any conclusion on a fix? I am getting 3.3 to the drain(jumpered diode) but that made no difference in Vmem.

phantompunisher
12-06-2002, 01:55 PM
hey natedog. i recognize you from overclockers.com. you must have the max2 v2? you wanna do some test readings on it? im sure we can figure this out with some testing. are you fermilier with how to use a multimeter?

PiLsY
12-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Yup myself and Randi figured out the problem.

Theres 2 different version of Max 2 v2.0 out. The only difference is if you look at the bank of 6 SMDs that the vmem mod is done on the 4th will be missing. If it is then the modded bios wont work, and neither will the vmem mod to a point. You can only get up to 2.95v on these boards. I think replacing the resistor would do the trick, so if some kind soul could inform us what value resistor that is it should sort out the problems as we could then solder one on.

See picture below.

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
12-07-2002, 01:06 PM
thats pretty interesting. does the trace simply continue without interuption though the area where the resister should be? when you follow that trace around what does it conect to?

Tom Holck
12-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Yup myself and Randi figured out the problem.

Theres 2 different version of Max 2 v2.0 out. The only difference is if you look at the bank of 6 SMDs that the vmem mod is done on the 4th will be missing. If it is then the modded bios wont work, and neither will the vmem mod to a point. You can only get up to 2.95v on these boards. I think replacing the resistor would do the trick, so if some kind soul could inform us what value resistor that is it should sort out the problems as we could then solder one on.

See picture below.

PiLsY.

That resistor is 31K

Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
Denmark
The Homeland of Prometeia
:toast:

PiLsY
12-07-2002, 07:36 PM
No the trace is broken. The resistor is simply missing. My guess would be that this is the high pull resistor.

Thx tom, maybe worth trying out. When I get a board that is :(.

PiLsY.

Creative
12-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey guys,

I have just looked at my board and I am missing this resistor also. I discovered the problem with my vdimm when I tried to go to 2.9 and it put me back at 2.50-2.55ish.

ive spoken to Pilsy via PM and im going to wait a few days to see if anyone comes up with anyone. :)

Basically, if I need to solder or do anything like that.....then its bye bye IT7 MAX2 Rev2.....and bye bye Abit.....cos like a few other members here.....Ive been thru 5 IT7, this is my 6th and also have had a BD7II that wasnt too stellar either.....Abit and P4 boards.....get it right guys come on......ooooer maybe it was the outsourcing to ECS that has brought on the problems of late?

:(

phantompunisher
12-07-2002, 09:45 PM
the high pull resistor.

PiLsY.
high pull? im not familier with that term. have you found what pin its conected to? this is all very interesting as i cant figure on to many optional parts on my it7. very confusing why this resister is left out on your board

GreenBeret
12-07-2002, 10:01 PM
My conclusion from reading this thread and chatting with Creative (I hope Abit will read this and listen):

If you want people to pay 250 USD (yes that is how much the IT7 MAX2 (or ver2) costs in Australia) for your boards, better put some PROPER OCing support (meaning more voltages) on them. Your competitors are supplying those voltages on boards that cost only about 100 USD, and they do work and work WELL. Frankly, the votlages you are offering are similar to those on a POS board that barely supports OCing at all. I used to have a BD7-II RAID that offers voltages and tweaking just slightly more than an Intel desktop board. Abit boards are built for OCers and enthusiats ? I think not.

Good day.

PiLsY
12-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Phantompunisher...

Heres what I mean. When the vreg chip switches to 2.9v it opens up a separate circuit controlling over 2.9v. The missing resistor is the first part of the Hi circuit effectively disconnecting it. Its the hi-lo switch in the bios that does this. The lo circuit controls 2.5v thru 2.8v, the hi circuit form 2.8v plus. Heres how it does it....

Set to Lo enables 2.5v + 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3v.
Set to Hi enables 2.5v + 0.3v + (0.1, 0.2, 0.3 or 0.4v).

Basically it runs 2.8vdimm and adds an extra 0.x depending on what youve set using the hi circuit. On our boards (and those of a few others ive found (Im not alone anymore :p) the Hi circuit is disconnected completely. Going over 2.8v in bios essentially runs 2 circuits. The resistor thats missing is kind of like a vmod in itself. It lowers resistance to ground. The first circuit can only lower resistance enough to drop you to around 2.8v unmodded. By adding the modded bios you then enable altering resistance to the Hi circuit (the one we have the resistor missing from), which then leaves the Lo circuit set to its highest option (2.8v) and lowers resistance to ground through that circuit instead. During normal use having the Hi circuit disengaged will have no effect whatsoever, its essentially closed when anything below 2.8v is set.

The Lo circuit that we (and you) are modding is the first step from the vreg. It then goes to the charge caps and from there to the mosfet I presume (ive not followed it that far). The second circuit branches off from the cap output in parallel to the Lo circuit and connects to one of pins 1 to 7 on the vreg chip (cant tell cos the tracks go underneath it).

Anyway, a rather poor explanation but I trust you get the jist of what I mean. Been up rather a long time and its too early in the morning for stuff this technical ;).

PiLsY.

hipro5
12-08-2002, 01:40 AM
Why don't you just do the "hardware modd" and leave alone the Modded bios....Work with the ABIT's bios and do the "hardware modd only with the trimmer(cermet)......As a matter of fact,I'm getting a ABIT IT7-Max2 V.2 in a few days(sended from Germany) and I'll try ONLY the "hardware modd" to see what can I do......and......I'll DO IT..... :D ;)

I'll keep you posted..... :)

Tom Holck
12-08-2002, 08:44 AM
The hardwaremod on IT7 Max 2 v2 gives +0.20/0.25 V
That means that 2.8V in bios, is about 3.00-3.05 Volt
I don't think thats sufficient, thats like the old dayes.

:stick:

Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
Denmark
The Homeland of Prometeia

PiLsY
12-08-2002, 09:44 AM
Tom - youre talking 2.95v actual m8. believe me I know :). Takes a 7K resistor to get there. Any lower and your board dies :p.

Suggest you dont go down that route Hipro m8 :).

PiLsY.

hipro5
12-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Tom - youre talking 2.95v actual m8. believe me I know :). Takes a 7K resistor to get there. Any lower and your board dies :p.

PiLsY.

I'll do whatever it takes to get 3,5Vmem on ABIT IT7-Max2 V.2 as soon as I get it in my hands.....Me and my Corsair used to 3,5Vmem so I have to get these Volts......

BTW.....Out of topic,I'll get an ASUS with the GB chipset in about 10 days from know to test it.... ;)

phantompunisher
12-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Phantompunisher...

Heres what I mean. When the vreg chip switches to 2.9v it opens up a separate circuit controlling over 2.9v. The missing resistor is the first part of the Hi circuit effectively disconnecting it. Its the hi-lo switch in the bios that does this. The lo circuit controls 2.5v thru 2.8v, the hi circuit form 2.8v plus. Heres how it does it....

Set to Lo enables 2.5v + 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3v.
Set to Hi enables 2.5v + 0.3v + (0.1, 0.2, 0.3 or 0.4v).

Basically it runs 2.8vdimm and adds an extra 0.x depending on what youve set using the hi circuit. On our boards (and those of a few others ive found (Im not alone anymore :p) the Hi circuit is disconnected completely. Going over 2.8v in bios essentially runs 2 circuits. The resistor thats missing is kind of like a vmod in itself. It lowers resistance to ground. The first circuit can only lower resistance enough to drop you to around 2.8v unmodded. By adding the modded bios you then enable altering resistance to the Hi circuit (the one we have the resistor missing from), which then leaves the Lo circuit set to its highest option (2.8v) and lowers resistance to ground through that circuit instead. During normal use having the Hi circuit disengaged will have no effect whatsoever, its essentially closed when anything below 2.8v is set.

The Lo circuit that we (and you) are modding is the first step from the vreg. It then goes to the charge caps and from there to the mosfet I presume (ive not followed it that far). The second circuit branches off from the cap output in parallel to the Lo circuit and connects to one of pins 1 to 7 on the vreg chip (cant tell cos the tracks go underneath it).

Anyway, a rather poor explanation but I trust you get the jist of what I mean. Been up rather a long time and its too early in the morning for stuff this technical ;).

PiLsY.
can you put up a listing of some sort of your mesurments that led you to this? ill go through it on my board and see how they compare as this one has all the resisters.

The second circuit branches off from the cap output in parallel to the Lo circuit and connects to one of pins 1 to 7 on the vreg chip (cant tell cos the tracks go underneath it).

[/B]

you can just use your multimeter. its easy. when you read 0 ohms from one probe to the other the trace is connected to your two points your testing

Tom Holck
12-08-2002, 02:52 PM

PiLsY.

I think Hipro5 can take the PSU a little higher, then the volt a little higher.

Here You are bios set to 2.8 volt on modded IT7 Max2 v2
I have 2 they both works that way.

Tom Holck
12-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Ramsettings

Tom Holck
12-08-2002, 03:07 PM
I think with the new 3.066 the FBS speed will be around 170-175 then it's sufficient with 3.05 volt on the Ram to get 226-233 at cas2 at 5,2,2 or 6,2,2

Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
Denmark
The Homeland of Prometeia:D

chainbolt
12-09-2002, 07:08 AM
This is the situation with my IT7 Version 2 and I can get the voltage with the simple voltage mod up to almost 3.0.

http://www2.gol.com/users/postbox/IT7DIMM.jpg

http://www2.gol.com/users/postbox/IT7Winbond.jpg

phantompunisher
12-09-2002, 01:16 PM
well crap looks like were back at the start on the it7 max2 v2.

pilsy hes got the 4th resister. what are your measurements that you were taking? id like to see them and compare them against my board. there cant be much difference going on here.

PiLsY
12-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Cant m8 its gone back for RMA.

The component labelled PR17 on chainbolts board is the one that some of our boards appear to be missing.

PiLsY.

phantompunisher
12-09-2002, 01:57 PM
no im talking about all the mesurments you took back when you figuring out the high pull resister and stuff.

Creative
12-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Well ive sold my board....2 reasons.....1 because of this stupid cheap thing that they have done to the board....made for overclockers...YER RIGHT...:rolleyes:.....and 2 if I kept it I would have to then mod the wires in the arriving vapochill cos this mobo doesnt work with it properly.....:mad:

No im not impressed.......now I have to settle for Epox POS....:(

You guys are awesome for trying to look for stuff to fix it, :D but seriouslly guys, having to mod your own board that costs close to $250USD to perform how you want it to.....after it doesnt perform how it should be......thats not good marketing imo.......:(

chainbolt
12-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Creative
Well ive sold my board....2 reasons.....1 because of this stupid cheap thing that they have done to the board....made for overclockers...YER RIGHT...:rolleyes:.....and 2 if I kept it I would have to then mod the wires in the arriving vapochill cos this mobo doesnt work with it properly.....:mad:

No im not impressed.......now I have to settle for Epox POS....:(

You guys are awesome for trying to look for stuff to fix it, :D but seriouslly guys, having to mod your own board that costs close to $250USD to perform how you want it to.....after it doesnt perform how it should be......thats not good marketing imo.......:(

Creative I totally understand your frustration :( , but your last statement is not correct. The IT7 works and peforms as it should be and as it is advertised. It's strange that ABIT has obviously changed something in the circuitry and that obviously 2 revisions of the IT7 Version 2 are around. But the hidden BIOS options with up to 3.2 DIMM voltage were never advertised or official. That they are not working anymore does not mean the IT7 is not working as it should be.

If we find out that all newer boards cannot have the additional DIMM voltage enabled by modifying the BIOS (as before) the IT7 Version 2 is definitely not any longer a top choice for overclocking.

PiLsY
12-10-2002, 06:11 AM
I didnt do it m8 - I took it round to a friend whos doing an electronics degree and he played with it for an hour or so and told me basically whats written above. I dont doubt he dumbed it down a bit, but he basically said the chip is a simple Hi-Lo logic gate, with the bios determining which gate(s) are being used. Each gate needs its own "circuit" to add up to a combo that gives the selected value. The Hi gate is a second circuit in parallel to the Lo, and merely alters resistance to ground exactly the same way that the Lo circuit works. The component thats missing is the first part in the circuit. Thats all i can say m8 cos thats all I know im afraid.

PiLsY.

DoGMaN
12-10-2002, 06:13 AM
My first IT7-Max Rev1 board I received with BH bios came with full 3.2v enabled in the bois. And I believe that abit did orignially state that this board was to support 3.2v DIMM. I'm kinda disappointed. But I think I got the good one. I'll have to check and make sure, but I'm pretty sure without vmod mine gives over 3.1v DIMM. Thanks for all the info guys. This is a great thread.

DoGMaN
12-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Bah, I was wrong. Only gives 2.97v Must have been reading the wrong V. Where are you taking the measurements from off the board?

Never mind, I'm an idiot, I found it.