PDA

View Full Version : Mac Os 9 Vs OS X

MajorPayne
02-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone, I am a soon to be Mac owner (I have owned and built PC's for a long time, but a new project at work requires me to use some Mac software at home). I have purchased a used G3 on Ebay for $80.00, and it comes with Mac OS 9.2.2. I have heard that Mac Os X is a better operating system from some, but I have also heard that Mac OS 9 is better (and more stable). The other consideration is that I have heard that Mac OS9 can be faster on older machine(and this one is an older one) and that some of the shiny effects may not work with older PCI-based graphics cards (which this one has). I WILL be integrating this machine with my existing Windows network, and sharing files though, and I have heard that this is easier under OS-X variants. My question is... Would I be better off sticking with OS9, or spending some money to upgrade to OS X, and if so, which variant of OS X would be the best one, considering the age of my hardware? The specs on the system I bought are:

300 MHz PowerPC 750 G3 Processor
6 GB Hard Drive
128 MB RAM
512 KB Level 2 Backside Cache
24x CD ROM
Built in 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet
16 MB ATI 3D Rage 128 GL Video
2 USB ports, 2 FireWire Ports
1 ADB Mac Peripheral Port
3 Open PCI Slots
Apple Design Keyboard and Mouse II
Power Cord
On the HD: Mac OS 9.2.2, & AppleWorks 6.2

Please bear in mind as well, that while I am brand new to owning macs, I have used them before (and liked them), and desire to learn as much as possible (which is part of the reason I am looking at OS-X, since I have heard it's *nix core makes it more customizable/tweakable).

masterofpuppets
02-16-2005, 07:54 AM
If you install Mac OS X, you can still access Mac OS 9 with some boot setting afaik.

MajorPayne
02-16-2005, 08:41 AM
If you install Mac OS X, you can still access Mac OS 9 with some boot setting afaik.
IF I decide to go with OS X, I will be doing a clean format and install from the latest version of OS X, which does NOT have OS 9. I have heard that older versions of X do tho. Maybe I should look into one of those.

masterofpuppets
02-16-2005, 09:03 AM
I would say get MacOS X then, since virtually all new Mac software is programmed for it.

[XC] moddolicous
02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd say stick with OS X. Thats what most people even with older set ups are running.

MajorPayne
02-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd say stick with OS X. Thats what most people even with older set ups are running.
That is what I have been hearing. I can throw extra RAM in it to make it run better (I have heard that OSX is very RAM sensitive). I WILL probably leave OS 9 on there for about a week before upgrading tho, just so I can appreciate the difference when I do!

Charles Wirth
02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
It may not run on that machine. I am yet to load os x on something that old. You need more memory or every click you will be swapping data to disk.

I say stick with OS 9.2.2 and use pc maclan or another program that speaks appletak protocol or just send stuff back and fourth via tcpip.

[XC] moddolicous
02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
can you partition a hard drive on Mac? I dont see y not. U could partition the drive and load OS 9 on one partition, and maybe try OS X on the other? Report back with results.

boshi
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Just dual boot them. Macs arent like windows, you can have two system folders on one hard drive without weirdness.

MajorPayne
02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Just dual boot them. Macs arent like windows, you can have two system folders on one hard drive without weirdness.

OK, now here is my question about this. How do you set up Dual boot on a Mac? I have done this many times with Windows machines (I personally prefer 2 Hard drives, each with it's own OS, and use the BIOS to choose with Drive/OS) I boot to). Is there a way to enable a boot manager for the Mac, or will the OS's "understand" that there are 2 of them, and create a "dual boot" option (kind of like Windows XP's boot manager does when you install a separate OS on a separate Drive/partition)?

boshi
02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
if you install any Mac OS, it will have a startup folder option in the control panels or the system preferences. You just pick which one to start in the control panel and reboot.

MajorPayne
02-19-2005, 11:03 AM
if you install any Mac OS, it will have a startup folder option in the control panels or the system preferences. You just pick which one to start in the control panel and reboot.

Awesome! I am really looking forward to getting into this new Mac. I have wanted one for some time, but (for some reason) I never thought of buying an older one, and upgrading it. Duh.

By the way, I am thinking of adding a DVD drive to this computer (either internal, or possibly external Via a portable USB enclosure). I have a spare one at home already, but I am not sure if any IDE DVD drive will work with this Mac, or if I need to look for specific ones?

[XC] moddolicous
02-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I think that anyone works, but I have really old macs that don't have standard IDE, so I might be wrong. You might be able to go on some mac forums page and try ask.

MajorPayne
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
OK, I got a set of OS X 10.3 Panther Retail Install Disks (new) from a seller on Ebay for $30.00, so I am set to go as soon as the machine gets here (It is shipped slow, cause I am cheap). so I will try out OS 9 for a little bit, then through on a clean install of Panther.

As for the DVD drive, I will just toss it in there, and see if it works! If it doesn't, then I will see if I can use my external USB 2 enclosure to connect it. Hopefully one of the 2 methods will do the trick!

renityren
12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Memory for a G3 is a pittance.

OS X is quite worthwhile. Its Mach-BSD (I.e., UNIX) backbone will give you an opportunity to develop mad UNIX / LINUX skills.

I follow many OS X sites and many people run it on a G3.

Checkout a few sites dedicated to low end Macs--If I were not sick, I would provide you with a comprehensive list of sites--:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

http://lowendmac.com/.

Links located on these sites should provide you with more information.

I do not think xtremesystems.org's forums are the best for Mac informational resources.:confused: Maybe you should try some vapor phase change cooling on your G3.

Cheers.

[XC] mysticmerlin
12-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Memory for a G3 is a pittance.

OS X is quite worthwhile. Its Mach-BSD (I.e., UNIX) backbone will give you an opportunity to develop mad UNIX / LINUX skills.

I follow many OS X sites and many people run it on a G3.

Checkout a few sites dedicated to low end Macs--If I were not sick, I would provide you with a comprehensive list of sites--:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

http://lowendmac.com/.

Links located on these sites should provide you with more information.

I do not think xtremesystems.org's forums are the best for Mac informational resources.:confused: Maybe you should try some vapor phase change cooling on your G3.

Cheers.

Wondering if you seen this thread died in Feb. 05 ? :stick: No biggie just wondered.:rolleyes:

dirtwarrior
01-17-2007, 03:06 AM
What are thoughts on OSX-86 for intel machines? Can it run software designed for other macs? Is it fast?