PDA

View Full Version : ATi Drivers 75 FPS maximum?

Littleluk
02-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey guys,
since I got a few problems with the Catalyst Control Center I removed it and installed the ATi Drivers without the CCC. After a while I decided to install'em again. Now I can get only 60 FPS in Counter-Strike and 75 in CS:Source - Vsync is off!

Does anybode have an idea?

enzoR
02-12-2005, 03:42 PM
what about other games?

Littleluk
02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
In 3dmark03 I can get more than 75, in 3dmark05, too and in other games - I dont have any games installed ;).

sky
02-13-2005, 03:18 AM
some games do have locked max-framerates. moto gp 2 for instance locks at 60fps. so you will not be able to go higher, but it can (of course) drop below 60fps. this is to ensure a smooth experience while playing. if your fps jerks up & down, up & down, you'll experience a choppy gameplay. to stop that from happening, some companies / games have this fps limit set.
while i don't know whether this is also true for cs or cs:source, i suspect it might be. there is another reason, why gaming companies incorporate such fps-locks. say you had the UBER-rig to play with, x850xt, fx55@3.x ghz, and you'd play in 800x600. with these settings you *would* normally get fps in excess of 100fps with cs, maybe twice that, maybe more (i dunno, never played cs anyway). so maybe you're playing an online match against someone (like me :D ) that likes to run every gfx-setting cranked to max like 1600x1200, all eyecandy on high, max (or whatever is the maximum setting) and maybe even aa and af set to max. that guy (on the same rig as you) would probably get about 60fps (hypothetical, just trying to illustrate my point here). so for every frame you see, he sees 1/3 or so, or for every frame he sees, you see 2 or 3. so you would be able move faster than he could see (sort of). to surpress this kind of "cheating" they'll lock the fps, so everyone gets about the same fps. -> if your rig can't give you 60fps with your settings, drop some details or resolution or aa/af. if you drop it even further, your game will not speed up, but just look ugly. that's where i try to max the settings so i can still get a constant 60fps or 60fps with occasional drops to 55fps or so. that way both player's gaming experience will be smooth, and chances are evenly spread. (btw with moto gp2 my sweet spot was 1600x1200 everything maxed, at 1920x1400 i'd get some small drops below 60fps :D)

while i don't claim this is happening with those two games you quoted, it could very well be - just spreading out possibilities.
and while you're at it, you might as well check the refresh rate your screen is set to in the driver-config tabs. some games do actually use what is set there ;)

Littleluk
02-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Hey sky, klar weiß ich was du meinst ;). (Hey sky, ouf course I know what you mean)

There's a config command, called fps_max xx, where you can adjust the rate of the maximum fps.

In CS:S isnt a FPS limiter, i set that fps_max to 200, and I still can get "only" 75 FPS. As I installed the driver the first time I had about 150 FPS, then I reinstalled the catalyst control center and now I can get only 75 FPS.

It's no use having more than 60 - 75 FPS, but in the CS:Source Benchmark I cannot score now anymore average FPS.

lalPOOO
02-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Its probably what you have the max refresh rate for your monitor set to in the drivers pannel thats holding you back :)

TomodaK
02-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Turn your V-Sync off in your ati cp, it may result in image tearing, but if so you can turn up the graphics 2 lower fps or set a limit in the game to stop the tearing.