PDA

View Full Version : DFI Ultra-D Sudden Death Syndrom + CPU Killer

ISS
02-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I am another person who experience the problem. My Ultra-D was working fine fro about 2+hrs. After I installed the NF4 drivers, I restarted the comp. When its shutting down, the comp suddenly hang and emits a continuous beep (it goes beeeeeeeeeep, non stop and no pauses). I off the mains. When I turn on, it won't turn on again. I realise the board won't power up with the CPU inside the socket. Took out the CPU and test on a MSI K8N Neo2 and found that the CPU is dead. The K8N Neo2 will power up but won't POST.

I didn't quite dare to test another CPU and have send the board back for RMA. Gotten another Ultra D and a 3000 and things seems to be working alright now. Its still not as stable compared to K8N Neo2 but still OK. Nothing else is dead though.

Its quite a nightmare that boards can actually kill CPU.

Chr0n1c
02-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Wow! that really sucks man, I wish you better luck with your new hardware. :D

flutie98
02-12-2005, 12:55 AM
hope that doesnt become a common issue...

reject
02-12-2005, 01:10 AM
kv8 pro killed mine and anothers cpu :(

Venice13
02-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I am another person who experience the problem. My Ultra-D was working fine fro about 2+hrs. After I installed the NF4 drivers, I restarted the comp. When its shutting down, the comp suddenly hang and emits a continuous beep (it goes beeeeeeeeeep, non stop and no pauses). I off the mains. When I turn on, it won't turn on again. I realise the board won't power up with the CPU inside the socket. Took out the CPU and test on a MSI K8N Neo2 and found that the CPU is dead. The K8N Neo2 will power up but won't POST.

I didn't quite dare to test another CPU and have send the board back for RMA. Gotten another Ultra D and a 3000 and things seems to be working alright now. Its still not as stable compared to K8N Neo2 but still OK. Nothing else is dead though.

Its quite a nightmare that boards can actually kill CPU.
Wow little to much volts funny how it's alwats the hardware

[G.N.U.]Fragman
02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
dont say something like that....!!!! i am getting pretty scared now!

thebluesgnr
02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Were you overvolting?

ISS
02-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Wow little to much volts funny how it's alwats the hardware

I have not even begun to overclock yet. My previous board is a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum and its working fine on that board for months on 300 x 9 @ 1.63V setting. Although I didn't format and reinstall the OS, there is absolutely no way my current OS (no clockgen or any overclocking software installed) could cause the death of the board and CPU. I am using an OCA Powerstream 520W and the voltage is tuned to 12.05, 5.06 and 3.34 and it works on the K8N all the while.

REgardign the KV8 Pro, I only used it for a very short time (it didn't support mobile A64s back then, thus I exchange it for a Soltek).

Currently running 278MHz x 9 @ 1.488V. Hopefully, no more problems.