PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Knoppix?

Swoosher
11-23-2002, 12:28 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried Knoppix. Fot you who don't knot what it is: A linux which boots right from a cd almost on any computer.

I'm currently d/l'in it so we'll see if it works in 3 hours (if I'm still awake at that moment :D)

Plz say something

(This :frag: will happen to the first one who replies "something")

sjohnson
12-05-2002, 05:48 AM
Haven't used Knoppix but bootable Linux CD's have been around for years.

Nice to get a taste of Linux, but slow enough that if you really want Linux you'll end up installing to a HD anyway.

Cheesefoam
12-05-2002, 05:44 PM
I've used both Knoppix 2.2 and 3.1... especially as demos to people who have no idea what Linux is like. It's a great way to get your feet wet in Linux without too much risk, but as sjohnson said - it's slow running off a cdrom.

Nevertheless, if you have a NIC that Knoppix has a module for, you can drop a CDROM in, boot up, and be on the net as well as doing work in Openoffice.

gilligan
12-12-2002, 11:36 AM
I tried Knoppix 3.1 recently. I was very impressed with it. It ran pretty fast considering it was off CDROM, and the distro is set up really nice. It almost made we want to install it to the hard drive.

It had very good hardware detection on both machines I ran it on, although it works best if your network uses DHCP (you can easily configure the network to use static IP after it boots if you want, but if you use DHCP you'll have network automatically)

It is definately a good demo CD. I plan to hand out some burned copies of it to a few people.

JAWS
01-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm trying PHLAK version 0.2 which might be a version of Knoppix. I just think it's really cool that's it's running only on cd and running pretty damn fast too. :) Might have to try Firebird on my main rigs. :)

piercedandtatto
02-08-2004, 03:14 PM
i have knoppix but i have not been able to get my net up and running on it....the comp im using it on connects via usb not my nic and since this is my first time playing with linux i have no idea how to set it up. i guess in a few weeks of playing around with it ill figure it out or maybe ill switch over to the nic and see what happens.

Smizack
02-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
Haven't used Knoppix but bootable Linux CD's have been around for years.

Nice to get a taste of Linux, but slow enough that if you really want Linux you'll end up installing to a HD anyway.

Yup. I tried it and didn't think that much of it.

masterofpuppets
10-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I use Knoppix in emergencies and when using other people's puters. Very nice OS. It's also based on Debian, which is another plus. The version I have is quite out of date though. Gotta download a newer version soon. there is also Gnoppix which is Knoppix with Gnome instead of KDE. Gnome users might like to give it a go.