PDA

View Full Version : Sp1

Smizack
11-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Ok. Screw Sp1. It's got everything all messed up now.

How the hell do I uninstall it???

Smizack
11-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Ok, I fixed it.
I had a problem with my custom "start" button.
The regular hack after installing SP1 didn't work. But if you save explorer.exe in your dll cache (c:\windows\system32\dllcache) first, then again under c:\windows it should work fine.

Also for a heads up, it screwed up my mouse pointers and if you run style xp it has to be updated (http://www.tgtsoft.com/download.asp).

If you've modified your Kernel at all Sp1 won't install, so that kinda sux also.

Smizack
11-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Well that didn't work. The Explorer.exe in the dllcache folder keeps reappearing as the original. Anyone know how I permanently delete that file???

Dissolved
11-23-2002, 02:01 AM
Format C:

Smizack
11-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Dissolved
Format C:

:mad:

That's what I was thinking also.

Dissolved
11-23-2002, 03:44 PM
are u on retail or that illegal XP ?

if so you should FULLY format, delete the partition(fdisk), format then install windows, update it, then install sp1, updates.
Then mod windows to your likeing.

I know im getting ALOT of app/ie errors evere since i installed ie6 sp1.

So m$ has alot of bug fixes to fix.

Smizack
11-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah it's a retail verson, but something chanded in the SP1 install.

Normally the only backup of Explorer.exe is in the dllcache folder, but aparently it's also backed up somewhere else.

Dissolved
11-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
Yeah it's a retail verson, but something chanded in the SP1 install.

Normally the only backup of Explorer.exe is in the dllcache folder, but aparently it's also backed up somewhere else.

Well my advice is Backup+Format=Happy Windows.

OR as my friend would say Take that win cd break it in half and dl linux :)

Lord Raven
11-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Make sure you replace explorer.exe in the system32 directory and then in the dll cache folder. Also make sure you don't have the i386 folder from the CD on your hard drive. If WFP can't restore from the dll cache it will go to the i386 folder on the hard drive or the cd-rom.

Aside from that I have also had big problems with SP1. I slipped streamed SP1 into XP Pro myself and I did a complete format and reinstall. I have had nothing but problems since. The most annoying problem is that Add/Remove Programs won't run at all. It gives some error and does nothing. i'm going to try SP1 once more and then I'm going back to pre-SP1 XP.. Which I never had any problems with. I thought SP1 would allow more control over some MS programs (namely MSN) but, that damn thing still pops up every time you start Outlook. I know I can get rid of it but, it shouldn't be there in the first place. Oh well.. I'm off to format this damn thing..