PDA

View Full Version : TCCD Discontinued - Whatever shall we do?

matt9669
02-09-2005, 09:35 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=95&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Once TCCD supplies dry up, what do you intend to buy? Will you be hoarding TCCD memory while it is still available? Let us know!

-- Matt

pablo
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
there will be a replacement..... i hope

=[PULSAR]=
02-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Wonder how long it will be till TCCD is completely gone off store shelves? Guess I will have to buy some gskill early. Where can I find some 2x512 LA?

stealthbomber
02-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Dont give a damn TBH, hope they scale back DDR2/3 production as well by the end of the year, it'll give AMD the needed kick up the back side. :p:

matt9669
02-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Dont give a damn TBH, hope they scale back DDR2/3 production as well by the end of the year, it'll give AMD the needed kick up the back side. :p:How will lack of DDR memories do that?

Kanavit
02-09-2005, 10:15 AM
well, i'm sooo glad i brought mines already. hehe :cool:

stealthbomber
02-09-2005, 10:29 AM
How will lack of DDR memories do that?

Well Intel has already implemented DDR2 support into their platform, can AMD really stick with DDR1 when even DDR2 production will start being scaled down in favour of far superior solutions at Samsungs disposal?

//mAr
02-09-2005, 10:31 AM
winbond utt ;)

jjcom
02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
yeah, i'm thinking that as well...TCCD leaves right when BH-5 simliar RAM shows up. I would call that a bad plan. Winbond is comeing back...then TCCD goes away? That opens up a nice market for Winbond

jjcom

matt9669
02-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Well Intel has already implemented DDR2 support into their platform, can AMD really stick with DDR1 when even DDR2 production will start being scaled down in favour of far superior solutions at Samsungs disposal?http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050127022248.html

Don't forget, DDR2 requires a new socket for AMD's Hammer :D

Entity_Razer
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
In my honest opinion,

Samsung couldn't have done a stupied move even if they tried....

TCCD is loved by so many, sells like hotcackes and right when a decent competetor is about to come onto the market again they discontineu their prodcution line?

How dumb are those guys over at Samsung?

jjcom
02-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Agreed, they go out right when a new competitor comes in. Its like Samsung just handed part of the RAM market to WinBond

jjcom

Entity_Razer
02-09-2005, 12:46 PM
it does make me wonder, whats gotten into the marketing peeps over at samsung?

Do they not realize that keeping the TCCD market alive will only make them money? Do they not like money or something? (they can always give some to me if they don't like it)

Even if they wanna go DDR2. Keeping the current TCCD line alive would finance further research to DDR2 to bring its latencies down and such.

jjcom
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
yeah, something doesn't seem right here...do they want to makes other techs so much that they would just leave a market?....mmmm....yeah they can give me money if they don't like how much they have lol

jjcom

Der_KHAN
02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
In my honest opinion,

Samsung couldn't have done a stupied move even if they tried....

TCCD is loved by so many, sells like hotcackes and right when a decent competetor is about to come onto the market again they discontineu their prodcution line?

well, i think they are already leading in gddr3 production.
and samsung has good chances to become the market leader in ddr2 tech as well.
but there is much more competition in ddr1 market.

so what do u think is smarter? sell some 10k or maybe 100k pieces in the enthusiast market for ddr1, or sell millions of pieces in the ddr2 mainstream market?

remember that intel is switching to ddr2 now and amd is gonna follow next year. so its best to make the change as soon as possible.

zakelwe
02-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Let me be the first to bring up the mythical Winbond bh-4 as our saviour.....

Actually, if Micron did spruce up their Ballistix by another 20% it would be a good replacment. Mine did 275 or so at 2.9v 2.5-3-3-7.

DDR2 and dual cores ... yuck.

Regards

Andy

patryko
02-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Well... I have to look for an A-Data Vitesta 600 as soon as possible I guess...

Xassius
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
why does good ram always stop?
first bh-5 and now tccd

Bloody_Sorcerer
02-09-2005, 02:17 PM
because who wants good ram when you can have mediocrity?!?! this was definitely a stupid move by samsung.

Revv23
02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Perfect for winbond.

I do not think the need for AMD to switch to DDR2 is there at all, i actually think the slow timings may hurt performance more then help it, I just hope winbond gets production going soon.

Geforce4ti4200
02-09-2005, 05:47 PM
ugh this sucks! should I ebay my patriot and get gskill le or la 2x512mb sticks while I can before they end up costing $400 or even $500? another thing is ill find out once for all if its my ondie controller if I cant hit gskills rated 275 stable, then this winnys soooooo gone for a Venice

stealthbomber
02-09-2005, 06:35 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050127022248.html

Don't forget, DDR2 requires a new socket for AMD's Hammer :D

Which will already be second rate when even nVidia/ATi will be using XDR by then, not to mention the possibility that both M$ and Sony may opt for these killer bandwidth memory chips on their next gen consoles.

When companies milk as much money as possible out of countless revisions of the same generation of technology people complain, when Samsung releases something that easily pee's over their TCCD stuff, people still complain...
;)

matt9669
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Sony is using XDR in the PS3 - they've been using RAMBUS since the PS2, so that relationship has been around. Last update MS was using a shared (G?)DDR3 bucket for their memory. I'll post some linkage if requested.

I'd be surprised if AMD's DDR2 solution wasn't very good, if not excellent - look at the bandwidth numbers they're currently producing on DDR1. Also look at the performance between single channel and dual channel, in most cases S754 doesn't fall far behind S939 - point is, bandwidth isn't everything. I think AMD made the right move here, DDR2 production is only truly ramping up just now, and they publicly stated they didn't believe they'd see gains until DDR2-667, which makes sense from both a cost and latency perspective. Remember, DDR2 has inherently higher latencies than DDR1.

As for XDR on ATI/NVIDIA, don't be too hasty on that - a lot of people still have a sour taste from RAMBUS' litigious dealings, and that includes corporate types. GDDR4 is expected to scale to 1.4GHz/2.8GHzDDR, so there's no immediate need for XDR in the graphics arena.

go_go
02-10-2005, 12:31 AM
i already have my ocz el pc3200 platinum rev.2 (tccd)

Entity_Razer
02-10-2005, 01:10 AM
if I only had the money to buy some TCCD stuff.

I like my current ramsticks because they where cheap (140 for 1GB) and do 235 guaranteed, I haven't tested higher due to the PSU not being able to cut it) but Thats neds 2.9 Volts. And I'd rather have lower volts.

I hope someone brings a memory out that handles like TCCD, nice speeds and latencies with low volts.

stealthbomber
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Sony is using XDR in the PS3 - they've been using RAMBUS since the PS2, so that relationship has been around. Last update MS was using a shared (G?)DDR3 bucket for their memory. I'll post some linkage if requested.

I'd be surprised if AMD's DDR2 solution wasn't very good, if not excellent - look at the bandwidth numbers they're currently producing on DDR1. Also look at the performance between single channel and dual channel, in most cases S754 doesn't fall far behind S939 - point is, bandwidth isn't everything. I think AMD made the right move here, DDR2 production is only truly ramping up just now, and they publicly stated they didn't believe they'd see gains until DDR2-667, which makes sense from both a cost and latency perspective. Remember, DDR2 has inherently higher latencies than DDR1.

As for XDR on ATI/NVIDIA, don't be too hasty on that - a lot of people still have a sour taste from RAMBUS' litigious dealings, and that includes corporate types. GDDR4 is expected to scale to 1.4GHz/2.8GHzDDR, so there's no immediate need for XDR in the graphics arena.

Yeah, AMD's on-die mem controller does pack a good punch Mhz for Mhz, but you have to wonder just how "difficult" it would be for Intel to persuade a major player like Samsung to scale down (or even cease) production of DDR2 chips in favour of greater XDR production by 2006, knowing that they have already finished developing a working DDR2 Intel platform, the next step of the performance war with AMD should already be underway. :slobber:

I always seem to expect Intel to play dirty (nothing new there), I just hope AMD's dual core chips based on DDR2 is enough to outclass whatever Intel and their billion dollar R&D labs has to offer. :stick:

Entity_Razer
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
I think AMD will wip up something heavy don't you worry.

what I do like about AMD is that they develop lots of new things compared to Intel. its like ATI vs Nvidia, Nvidia claims to have a new technology called SLI while it's relativly old technology already.

thats the way I feel about AMD vs Intel.

AMD has a lot to lose, more then Intel so I'm sure they'll bring out something amazing

jjcom
02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah, by the time AMD moves to DDR2, 3-2-2 latencies should be more standard.

jjcom

Revv23
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
is there even a chance of 2-2-2 on DDR2 ever?

jjcom
02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
I remember Saaya saying he thought that CAS 3 and higher worked on DDR2. I also thought the same thing...so sadly it appears that CAS2 will not be seen :(

jjcom