PDA

View Full Version : network is busted?

STEvil
02-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Trying to make this PC see another one, just a run of the mill network, and its no go.. what gives?

I had to do a system restore on this one once a couple months back and I know there was bug with it at one point, could that be the problem?

Both boards are nForce 2 boards, so using the onboard NIC. Both give me a limited connectivity error if I dont set their IP's manually (192.168.0.82 for this one, 192.168.0.83 for the other). Enabling/disabling the firewalls doesnt change anything, have tried using TCP/IP v6 over stock TCP/IP and no change, installed and uninstalled ipx/spx on both with no change...

This machine can see the other at this point but cannot access it (file sharing enabled on both, couple folders shared on both), the other machine cannot open "workgroup" (gives permissions denied error or something) and trying \\machinenamehere gives an error. Pinging by IP address gives lost packets.

I dont know why, but I can never get networks going smoothly.. always something :rolleyes: :(

EDIT

WinXP SP2 on both.

sllywhtboy
02-06-2005, 06:51 PM
seen this thread? rather similar.. saves some typing. :) http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51964

--slly

STEvil
02-06-2005, 08:08 PM
nope, havent seen it but have tried everything in there already.

sllywhtboy
02-06-2005, 09:30 PM
what's the results of going \\ipaddress ?

i assume you have a router? if so, do you get packet loss pinging that from both computers or just when you ping the other computer?

--slly

bachus_anonym
02-06-2005, 09:54 PM
...assuming that you have those 2 PCs connected to Internet through a router...

Can you access Internet on both of them but just not able to access eachother's Shared Folder???

Have you run Network Wizard from Network Connections (Control Panel) on both PCs?

Make sure both PCs have different names and belong to same Workgroup (give it different name than default "WORKGROUP") under System Properties / Computer Name / Advanced.

Also, check using command ipconfig if by any chance you don't have same MAC addresses showing up on both PCs. It happened to me couple times on my NF7-S. If so, manually enter MAC address in BIOS.

STEvil
02-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Also, check using command ipconfig if by any chance you don't have same MAC addresses showing up on both PCs. It happened to me couple times on my NF7-S. If so, manually enter MAC address in BIOS.

That was it, but I found a bug in tictac's D27 bios.. i cant change the mac address.. wtf?

bachus_anonym
02-06-2005, 10:34 PM
That was it, but I found a bug in tictac's D27 bios.. i cant change the mac address.. wtf?
what do you mean??? the option is just not there???
you need to enable it with and option that's right above that one...
also type it in in capital letters without dashes...

STEvil
02-06-2005, 10:42 PM
the option is not there at all.

There is an option to enable the onboard NIC, a ROM bios option below that for the onboard NIC, and nothing else in the bios referring to networking or MAC addresses...

Threw a spare NIC in, was working great within 20 seconds..

bachus_anonym
02-06-2005, 10:46 PM
the option is not there at all.

There is an option to enable the onboard NIC, a ROM bios option below that for the onboard NIC, and nothing else in the bios referring to networking or MAC addresses...

Threw a spare NIC in, was working great within 20 seconds..

Just flash to, say D26_Mantaray. Enter MAC address, unless you're fine with that NIC you just installed...

STEvil
02-06-2005, 11:00 PM
networks sure seems slow.. might have to do with the switch (8 port netgear, has wrong power adaptor right now though).

sllywhtboy
02-06-2005, 11:44 PM
at a local lan party, we had an issue with 2 dfi nf2 boards..both with the same MAC addresses.

i suppose if i knew how to read, i would have seen that they were both nf2 boards and dove down that route :p:

--slly

STEvil
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
lol

wish you could change the mac address from within windows..

EDIT

one is Asus a7n8x-dlx 2.0 with 1007 uber bios
other is nF7 with tictac D27

Will have an epox 8rda+ here soon too..

sllywhtboy
02-07-2005, 12:06 AM
ran across this.. http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21050

--slly

STEvil
02-07-2005, 12:37 AM
well my NIC's work, just I cant change the MAC address on the nf7..

bachus_anonym
02-07-2005, 12:42 AM
well my NIC's work, just I cant change the MAC address on the nf7..
that link from nforcershq.com will show you how to do it...

just flash BIOS (the one you have, without that MAC option) with a command that allows you to use MAC address that is associated with your onboard NIC.

STEvil
02-07-2005, 12:55 AM
gonna have to do it that way it looks like..

STEvil
02-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Ok, this simplifies things kinda..

HOW TO CHANGE MAC ADDRESS IN WINDOWS

By hand: http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

OR

Tool: http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac (not free though)

If anyone knows a free tool to do this could the put up a link?

bxa121
02-07-2005, 09:32 AM
heck! i didnt think you could change a mac adress!!!
WTF?!

sllywhtboy
02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
WTF?!anything in software/firmware can be changes :(

--slly

smokey
02-07-2005, 10:59 AM
WTF?!

Never heard of MAC spoofing, then eh? Pity.

STEvil
02-07-2005, 10:35 PM
should make an "nF2 FAQ".. this info would be good for it.

THunDA
02-10-2005, 08:28 PM
That happened to me once and drove me nutty for a while.. both my machines had the same mac addy because I was hotflashing between them all the time.. or at least thats what I think caused it.. :P

bxa121
02-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Never heard of MAC spoofing, then eh? Pity.

thats how the SOB's are getting into my network!! :mad:
i was relying on the mac adress to keep em out but they kept comin' .. didnt know why.
well at least i know now.
thanks guys.
:p:

smokey
02-11-2005, 08:22 PM
LOL! MAC changing really isn't difficult at all in the UNIX/Linux world... too bad most of these forums aren't exactly 'up' on that side of the fence... :rolleyes:

STEvil
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
easy in windows too (~30 seconds), now that I know how to do it.