PDA

View Full Version : one dying prometheia?

calantak
11-22-2002, 05:41 AM
got mu unit 9 months now... one of the first sold.

It rocked all the way... except now I have one huge problem...

since about 4 weeks, the prometeia unit compressor temp goes way up... i used to be -44 to -47 idle, and up to -35 stressed with a 2.66 @3.6 Vcore 1.7, cpu temps ranged from -22 idle to -12 (fully prime stressed)
pic was with my old 2.26.

http://users.pandora.be/guy.cnockaert1/IDLE.jpg

however now when I boot it up, it goes straight to -44 idle, with cpu temp of -22
sounds quite good, but here's where the ยงยงยงยง hits the fan... when I start to stress, the compressor temp goes all the way to positive temps (compressor temp), and the cpu goes to 20-30 degrees...when the compressor goes up, it reboots, I changed the prometeia settings to halt the reboots and to see how high the evap temp would go, but it goes all the way to 5-6 degrees!

whenever I keep it idle, I go back to -44/-22 cpu

system is now a 2.66@1.7, it7 max2, corsair pc 3500, superflower 470 watt psu.

dynetk
11-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Since you've had it for 9 months have you reapplied your thermal paste? It could be breaking down after such a long period of time.

calantak
11-22-2002, 08:50 AM
I have, on several occasions, since I have changed setups about 5 times in this period

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 09:04 AM
It's Prometeia.. not Prometheia

calantak
11-22-2002, 09:07 AM
duh
that was very constructive

Hardass
11-22-2002, 09:25 AM
Did you contact Chip-Con I would like to know what they say?

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 09:26 AM
don't say "duh" to me .. or i'll get angry n have to flame you.. which i don't want to do.. so keep your illiteracy to yourself
"one dying prometheia?"

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 09:29 AM
btw, did you listen for leaks.. especially around the evaporator and around the condenser and compressor discharge line.. Just put your ear right next to any spot that is soldered/brazed together and listen.. you will hear any leaks for sure.. does the compressor sound any different from when you bought the unit? are the condenser fans still working at full speed?

KnightElite
11-22-2002, 09:45 AM
If the evaporator temperature is getting that hot, then either it's clearly not a thermal paste issue. I would guess that the unit itself is somehow defective or that your CPU is somehow putting out WAY more heat than it is supposed to, which seems less likely.

JCviggen
11-22-2002, 09:46 AM
Sounds to me like you've lost some of your R134a already. There's enough for idle but not when stressed.... did things slowly get worse after your last re-install?
Prometeia hoses/solder places are fragile, you really have to be extremely careful with them in the long run

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 09:48 AM
I would say that the unit is either defective as well.. the compressor might be dying.. or the starter-cap maybe be going? not providing enough steady power.. not sure about that though.. it doesn't sound like a leak.. unless it continues to get progressivly worse.. and i don't know how your CPU could be putting out more heat.. but try it at stock and see what happens. Sounds like maybe whatever type of temp control they put in the unit might be going..

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Viggens might be right.. if you are losing freon the system will get progressivly worse depending on the leak size.. why the hell did they just solder? Why didn't they braze everything so it would be 100% good.. grr.. either way.. if you can't get anything from chip-con it won't be that much of an issue to install fill valves on the system and top off with r134a.. Although I would have the leak fixed.. you can get this leak sealer in a can stuff here in the USA that if the leak is small enough.. might do the trick.. or atleast last a while.. idk.

calantak
11-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by |PuNiSh3R|
don't say "duh" to me .. or i'll get angry n have to flame you.. which i don't want to do.. so keep your illiteracy to yourself
"one dying prometheia?"

:D thanks for the help on the posts after this one...
but just don't call me illiterate, as the only reason why I am used to spelling it with an H is because the original greek word is translated WITH the H...;)

Illiterate does not fit me as a description.

owkay, I cut the offtopik (noticed the K) crap...

I don't hear any leaks... I'll check and doublecheck the unit, it happened all at once.... and reminds me that it happened when I changed my last mobo... maybe I damaged the hose a little...

ZubZero
11-22-2002, 12:31 PM
There is a partial block in your capillary tube, or there is a leak. I assume you have a 12 month warranty - at least. Send the unit back and have them to fix it. If you apply some leak repair, additional coolant or what ever, you screwed your warranty for good...

|PuNiSh3R|
11-22-2002, 12:53 PM
There shouldn't be a "partial" block in the cap tube.. there shouldn't be any blocks at all.. if the system was built by professionals there shouldn't be any type of foreign (sp?) objects or liquids floating through the system at all.

If the system continues to get worse then it's most likely a leak.. if it is a block in the cap tube.. well.. you got the shaft.

ZubZero
11-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Of course there shouldn't be any blocks on a system made by pros, I was just pointing out what the symptoms indicated...

calantak
11-22-2002, 11:45 PM
owkay... I'm gonna get in touch with them and send it back :( all the fuss...

Its-Freezing
11-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Okay Calantak,

Sorry to hear about your troubles

I am not sure if we have you in the pipeline already (processing any complaints from you), but in any case, I have looked through the postings here, and it does indeed sound as if you have managed to squeeze the capillary tube within the thermal bus, since it happened all of a sudden.

If a leak turns up and all of a sudden gives different performance, then the system will most definately not work shortly after.

If it is a very small leak then it will graduately deteriate with a higher and higher temperature as each day goes by. It will actually most likely start presenting itself with better no-load temperatures, but worse and worse load temps, and finally also worse no-load temps.

A system which has been running for so long would hardly be able to contain any contamination that would not have showed up much sooner, so this can most likely also be ruled out.

Concerning the solderings, please note that this was one of the very first systems sold, and that we are constantly doing our best to improve the built quality in all aspects.

The idea about the starting Cap, is an interesting one, but since the Cap is to insure the start-up capability of the compressor motor itself, it would basically just not start, rather than running bad, moreover that event would not likely have occured in connection with a CPU change, as I understood it did.

Whether or not the warranty covers this event, will have to wait untill furhter examination, as there obviously are limits to what a warranty can cover, which everyone surely will agree. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it ;)

Any and all spelling errors are however totally free of charge, and only due to lack of spell checking features in writing posts (unless you have time to prepare a posting by other means first) I hope also the very literate can live (or at least survive) that :D

Kind regards
Steen

calantak
11-24-2002, 03:27 AM
thanks for replying