PDA

View Full Version : Peltier on TDX?

vapb400
02-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Does anybody know if a 40x40 172w Peltier would fit on a TDX?

Peltier:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=89&cat=30&page=1

It now squarely hits all the pads on my AMD 1700+, which is a good thing. This is also good for A64 and P4/Xeon users, because the RBX didn't cover an integrated heat spreader completely. I believe the TDX should; it's narrowest width in the center part of block is 40mm (as opposed to 30mm for the RBX). The new "HF 9/32"" barbs Danger Den is using for the TDX (first seen on the DTek White Water blocks) are another nice new change. They are lower profile, have o rings between the threads and the base of the barb, and have a noticeably larger inside diameter than normal 1/2" hose barbs. The combination of these barbs and a single outlet means that the flow resistance of the TDX should definitely be less than the RBX. The low profile design of the barbs is also a positive change because it means that hose clamps won't come in contact with wingnuts or thumbscrews when you are tightening the block down.
That is from Procooling's TDX Review.
http://www.procooling.com/reviews/assets/images/SRBX_vs_TDX_Base.jpg

There is a pic comparing the bases.

So what do you think? Would a 40mmx40mm peltier fit between the mounting holes? Then I'd fab up a nice cooling plate? Or is there just not enough room? Anybody know if small peltiers exist?

vapb400
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
The overall dimensions of the block, including barbs and Lucite top, are 2.875" L x 1.75" W x 1.625" H, and for the base only are 2.25" L x 1.75" W x .375" H.

From system cooling. According to google that is 44.45mm, but I dont know the accuracy of that, or the distance between the screw holes.

marky
02-05-2005, 07:40 PM
i have an TDX that i'm not using in front of me, but i can't find a ruler :(

irregardless of that;

1. you shouldn't use a peltier with an jet impigment style block.
2. you canot use a peltier with a lucit top block (i know the tdx is available in brass, but it's not very common, so i will make the assumption here)
3. if you didn't already know points one and two, stay away from peltiers until you have read about them in relation to overclocking for at least 12 - 20 hours.

p.s.; if you still want i'll try to find a ruler a bit later. :toast:

vapb400
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
thanks, dont worry about measurments :p:

felinusz
02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
1. you shouldn't use a peltier with an jet impigment style block.
2. you canot use a peltier with a lucit top block (i know the tdx is available in brass, but it's not very common, so i will make the assumption here)
3. if you didn't already know points one and two, stay away from peltiers until you have read about them in relation to overclocking for at least 12 - 20 hours.

There is actually nothing wrong with using Jet-Impingement waterblocks and peltiers, only that all of the jet-impingement blocks we have on the market are designed for CPUs, and have a very small cooling area, inadequate for a large-surface area TEC.

A jet-impingement waterblock with ~50mm of cooling surface area, designed to cool off an entire peltier, would be a very effective peltier-waterblock.

So, don't use jet-impingement waterblocks designed for processor-cooling, with a peltier :)

Butcher_
02-07-2005, 11:01 AM
A jet-impingement waterblock with ~50mm of cooling surface area, designed to cool off an entire peltier, would be a very effective peltier-waterblock.

you mean ~2500mm² right (i.e. a 50x50mm square)?

felinusz
02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
you mean ~2500mm² right (i.e. a 50x50mm square)?

Yep, I meant to say 50mm x 50mm of cooling surface area, thanks for catching me ;) :D

I would really like to see a mini-cupped, or traditional jet-impingement waterblock made for peltiered GPU cooling. I'd be the first to buy such a block, if it was well made :)

snowwie
02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
the point these guys are making is that for a TEC module to operate correctly it needs to be cooled _uniformly_ along the whole hot side. A TDX simply would not cool it uniformly

felinusz, it would take rediculous pumping capabilities to have an impingement cooling solution over a 5x5cm area