PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice Experiment Preparation

DeNs
02-05-2005, 12:08 AM
I've started preparing for my upcoming DICE experiment with my 3200+/Neo2, and would like to know a couple of things. I've already read up as much as I can about this, but there are a few things I need clearing up.

1) What have people found is the optimal alcohol to use to be cooled? I've seen people debating between using ethanol and acetone, but can't find a definitive answer. Acetone looked like the better option because its Boiling point was -58C or something, and Ethanol was high -70C's in comparison.

2) I'm getting the tube/block made up today, and i've already discussed with my uncle how we're going to prevent condensation with it. We were thinking of Silver soldering the main tube in the middle, then using a slightly larger tube, lead soldering that and sealing the ring at the top, which if airtight, will prevent condensation from forming on the outside. An easy way to put it would be like a Flask or Thermus (sp?).

I've been wondering about how we'd get rid of condensation at the base of the block, but we'd have to insulate that somehow as well.

Ideas very welcome.

---dens

Jort
02-05-2005, 04:14 AM
about the condensation, just put some big foam around it.
try to insulate the backside of the mobo too.
i've got a piece of wood and some armaflex(very good insulation) on the back

then try to cover your mobo with a plastic bag or something.
and make it airtight.

someone with more experience?

DeNs
02-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Ahh yes, gotta remember to put a bag over it. Annoying thing is i'm gonna need to replace the 6800 with a crap card i've got lying around (MX440 or Ti4200 probably) when I do this, meaning some driver re-installing...

There've been a few people that i've seen with DICE setups that have had condensation drip down the tube and onto the motherboard :\ That kinda freaked me out.

A shame I don't have an oven capable of doing Sub-100C, so i'll be without that PC for a day or two afterwards... Will be worth it though :)

Thanks for the reply :)

---dens

Jort
02-05-2005, 07:15 AM
np.

yeah just make a hole in the bag so the condensation can't dip onto your mobo.

but you said your going to insulate your container, if its done properly normaly you wont have condensation.
prolly on your base only.

k|ngp|n
02-05-2005, 07:22 AM
GL with your experiments...here are some tips that may help you:
You dont need to use alot of acetone or ethanol at all really. The DI will cool the container down good, but a little bit of acetone at the bottom of the container helps get the base colder. Fill container with DI maybe 1/2 way then pour in maybe a double shot at the most of fluid. Then once it settles down fill to top with DI and your ready to go. Temps pull down harder this way.

Make some foam gaskets out of closed cell foam to fit between your container and the motherboard...just make sure it is thick enough to seal off any air flow to base of block / cpu area. Find a supplier near you and buy it buy the sheet, and you'll always have it then. I found a place nearby here that had a wharehouse full of just closed cell foam of all diff thickenss's)

neo2 is infamous for cold issues so make sure that you put a temps probe on the base of your block to know your temps at all times. Boot your machine before the temps get too low, and you shouldnt have any problems with the mobo and sub zero temps......on that note TRY TO AVOID powering down the rig and the powering it back up while you have -70c on the board / cpu. Use the reset switch when at all possible.

Make sure that you insulate / isolate the cold away from the caps bordering around the soclet area..especially if you use a container that has a large diameter base on it....if they get frozen or even to cold, it causes alot of instability and treachery (DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT? LOL ;)

Get at least 10-15lbs for a benching session, Once you put some good heat on the cpu, your rig will eat the DI faster.

DeNs
02-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the comments k|ingp|n and chillingdude :)

I completely forgot about the issue with cold booting. Will I have a problem the first time I boot the system up with the DICE?

Aquiring closed cell foam shouldn't be an issue, so i'll just have to get some in the next few days.

I'll keep you all informed of what's happening, and hopefully i'll do the experiment either during the week or next weekend.

Also, do people generally still cover their socket in Dielectric grease? I was about to ask wether I should insulate the inner part of the socket, but it's non-existant anymore :rolleyes:

---dens

Btw k|ingp|n - well done on getting #2 on 2K1 :toast: