PDA

View Full Version : mod questions

Aaron
11-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey guys
I’m new here, not a newb, but have been out of the scene for a while (college has that affect on a lot of things). I'm getting ready to build a new box and want to trick it out. I've been looking around checking out all the latest trends and gotta say I’m pretty impressed. Coupl'a general questions maybe some of you can answer for me. First of all does the prometia system have any effect on psu selection, I mean it is in some way hooked to the psu, or just on a separate switch. I plan on water cooling the video card and the mb chipset (granite bay) I was thinking of water cooling peltier units attached to these, but when I quit modding there were still issues with condensation. Do these currently available vapor barriers do the job, or should further precautions be taken. Also when I left the scene 60 and 80 watt pelts ruled, what kind of output is recommended for these apps. I also assume that using pelts heavily affects the order in which these devises are cooled. I mean not much point on boiling the water over the mb chipset before sending it to the vid card, but then the latter doesn't sound all that attractive either, should they just be on separate circuits to avoid all this? If so how separate should the circuits be, 1 pump, 1 radiator, 1 res, using a splitter after the pump and before the radiator, or would two separate radiators be recommended (I guessing that’s a stupid question as it probably depends on the radiator(s)).

Also on the point of esthetics I noticed a lot of guys have various kinds of wraps and looms around their PSU wires, very nice touch. Anyone know where I can get the braided metal ones, I’ve been searching, I’ve seen them at auto parts stores put they come in big kits with a bunch of crap I don’t need.

Thanks guys

Aaron

shortcircuit
11-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Hi, I can answer a few of your questions...

The prometia doesn't run off your PSU power. Well, the control unit does but the power draw is minimal. The prommy takes 120v/230v (depending on where you live) and has a pass-thru cable that goes to your pc's psu.

The Vapochill on the other hand runs completely off your psu. I'm running one with an xp2400 and an enermax 431w psu, no problems at all...

I never had a prob with a 172w peltier and water cooling on my 9700 pro. The only issue was a minor one - a little condensation on the back of the card during bootup (which takes a few minutes with the prommy). I solved that by not turning on the peltier till the system boots. The condensation on the back of the card was never enough to cause a problem. All I used to seal it all up was neoprene rubber around the gpu core and a lot of dialectric grease everywhere.

Aaron
12-05-2002, 06:03 AM
Thanks a bunch for the input, I've done a lot of research since I posted this and have answered many of my own questions. I am still unsure about a few things though. I will post questions as they come up.

Aaron

TheDude
12-05-2002, 06:39 AM
Aaron Welcome to the forum,

In answer to the wired cables, go here...they sent me freebies with my prommie
http://www.xtwerkz.com
Plus lots of other cool stuff and great folks to deal with!:D

Aaron
12-05-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm glad that you like them, some of the stuff on my list is coming from them. I've never dealt with them before so it's reassuring to hear good things about them. Where are the cable dress Items though? I looked through every page of their site and didn't see any. Or is it something thats not listed and I just have to call to order it? If so would you happen to have any pics of yours that you could post?

Thanks Aaron

Edit

Thanks for the welcome too :D