PDA

View Full Version : I'm very confused, GSkill LE or VX + Booster?

Gauss
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
I've just bought a Winchester 3500+, I'm about to receive it as well as an XP-90. I also have an MSI K8N Neo2 ready.

The problem is I have 2 memory sticks of Corsair 3200 XL Pro that do not fit when using also an XP-90. I'm not hoping too get too much from this memory anyway, with an LanParty NFII Ultra B board I could just get 225 MHz with 2225-2T with 2.8v, don't know if it could be another story with the Winchester.

Anyway, since the memory don't fit and I don't think I could find something better than the XP-90 for less than $50, I'm thinking to better change my memory.

I'm expecting to have enough as to buy 1 GB of dual channel sticks of OCZ VX and a DDR Booster or maybe the so now popular GSkill LE.

The question, what would be better for me? Let's take in account I wouldn't use water cooling, just an XP-90 with a Tornado, and from what I've read Winchesters doesn't like very high FSB.

What's better? 250 MHz 2-2-2 1:1 from the VXs? or any other thing I could get with the GS-killers? Is it also better anything the GSkillers can handle at 1:1 let's say at 280 MHz than 250 MHz 2-2-2 and a faster FSB let's say at 280 MHz (asynchronous)?

As many may guess, I cannot try one first and other next, RMA is not an option. I'm in South America with a tight budget, so I have to pick a wise decision, I also want a memory that can survive more than 1 year 24 hours a day and I'm not sure the VX would last long even when they are covered by warranty, my memory should live. Are the VX the option?

I've also read that the VX sometimes cannot handle Prime95 tests. I know that Prime95 is too much as to take it in account, but I like a full stable 24-hrs-a-day system, so what's better?

glock19owner
02-01-2005, 12:52 AM
The question, what would be better for me? Let's take in account I wouldn't use water cooling, just an XP-90 with a Tornado, and from what I've read Winchesters doesn't like very high FSB.

What's better? 250 MHz 2-2-2 1:1 from the VXs? or any other thing I could get with the GS-killers? Is it also better anything the GSkillers can handle at 1:1 let's say at 280 MHz than 250 MHz 2-2-2 and a faster FSB let's say at 280 MHz (asynchronous)?

I would go with the G. Skills and the OCZ booster (if at all possible)...Word as of late is the newer TCCD's chips like 3.2v+...so that would mean tighter timings at higher FSB...

As for the winnies not like real high FSB/HT...I am running 10x278/1T/5-3-4-2.5/1:1/2.85v on my 3200...I run the LC's...not the LE's...

These do bench at 5-3-3-2.5 at 278 with 2.85v...but not 100% stable...with a OCZ booster (which I am thinking about getting myself)...with 3.2v...they should run at 275+/5-2-2-2/2.5/1T/1:1 stable...the cas 2 will be iffy...but still going to try for cas 2...

Another key thing I like about the G. Skills is I can run the HT at 1100...

http://home.insightbb.com/~myglock19/1100.JPG

For cooling I am running the same...XP-90 with 92mm tornado...nice air cool setup...