PDA

View Full Version : OCZ plat rev2 running very very hot!

reality bites
01-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey all.....

this is my first post here after a few months of reading!

My problem is that i've just gone from OCZ VX to some plat rev 2 (couldn't be bothered with the volts) and there is a couple of issues.

Although they seem fine in memtest86+ (passed 98 times of test 5) they cause an error in prime95 with a 'SUMOUT ERROR' and they seem to be running very very hot. They are so hot, that after a short time you simply cannot touch them for more than 1-2 seconds without burning your fingers!

Are these stick supposed to run this hot or is there a problem with them?

They are running in an MSI neo 2, with everything at stock!

hope you can help....!

edit:/ while running prime95 you can hear very quiet beeps which sound almost like morse code. It stops when the tests stop and i've not heard it while any other memory has been installed.

cantankerous
01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
hehehe my NF2 board does that. Nothing to worry about. It is the terroids 'whining' when under stress. The noise eventually works itself away.

Ulti
01-31-2005, 01:28 PM
My TCCD also made that noises, the same with my UTT.

Lood007
01-31-2005, 01:39 PM
My TCCD also made that noises, the same with my UTT.

Its the board torroids that are making that noise, not the memory, AFAIK.

Zeus
01-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Don't worry about the temps, my rev2 got up to 55C during memtest with only 2.8V measured with a probe on the heatspreader. :eek:

Just run a fan over them and you'll be fine.

There's no other bench heating them up like memtest, not even Prime95.

The noise is probably coming from the chokes close to the mosfets, also nothing to worry about. ;)

reality bites
01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
i guess i just thought that if they are running at standard volts.....ie. 2.7 they should be running pretty cool.

I never noticed the beeps using any other ram either.

Been running prime now for 30 mins and no errors (though previous 2-3 times came up with errors after 5mins) but they are bloody hot!!!! can't touch them for anymore than 2-3 seconds!

kiwi
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, one of my sticks is rather warm but 2nd is not. Still I can keep my fingers on it as long as I want :D I am running it at 2.8V

reality bites
01-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, one of my sticks is rather warm but 2nd is not. Still I can keep my fingers on it as long as I want :D I am running it at 2.8V

I seem to have the hottest set in the world! :confused:

they've been running prime all night now and seem ok......just roasting. :eek: