PDA

View Full Version : Asus nFORCE2 A7N8X mem/cpu volt mod

sysfailur
11-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Mega thanks to DDTUNG for this... obviously couldn't have done it w/o ya :) You own!

This is for the CPU. Connect to this pin and ground. This chip is between the cpu socket and the back ports.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/betweenportsandcpu_labeled.jpg

This is for MEM. Connect to this pin and ground. This chip is on the top right of the mobo.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/toprightofmobo_labeled.jpg

RoydRage
11-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by sysfailur
Mega thanks to DDTUNG for this... obviously couldn't have done it w/o ya :) You own!

This is for the CPU. Connect to this pin and ground. This chip is between the cpu socket and the back ports.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/betweenportsandcpu_labeled.jpg

This is for MEM. Connect to this pin and ground. This chip is on the top right of the mobo.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/toprightofmobo_labeled.jpg

Thanks for taking the time and sharing to help everyone...

Could you recomend a fixed resister value... for each.... To get like 2.0vCore, and 3.0vMem?

I don't like using the VR's .... They can drift, or get moved.... Besides I'm aircooled so I can only go so high....

thanks, Royd

sysfailur
11-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by RoydRage
Thanks for taking the time and sharing to help everyone...

Could you recomend a fixed resister value... for each.... To get like 2.0vCore, and 3.0vMem?

I don't like using the VR's .... They can drift, or get moved.... Besides I'm aircooled so I can only go so high....

thanks, Royd

Erm, I dunno hehe -- I don't think I can check resistances while it's soldered on can I?

vmsrules
11-21-2002, 05:13 AM
Could you make a photo of where to check the vmem.

RoydRage
11-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Erm, I dunno hehe -- I don't think I can check resistances while it's soldered on can I?

No, You can't .... I guess I could play it safe... and start on the high side..

Royd

sysfailur
11-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by vmsrules
Could you make a photo of where to check the vmem.

Sure.... give me like 10mins.

sysfailur
11-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Sure.... give me like 10mins.

Wow I totally forgot, but then again I remembered... here ya go:

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/pin_for_mem_voltage.jpg

Top Hat Theater
11-22-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm a noob when it comes to vmods so please excuse my ignorance. What is a VR? Also, when you say "ground" do you mean, connect the other end to the chassis?

~THT

vmsrules
11-22-2002, 05:16 AM
Thanks sys.

RoydRage
11-22-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Top Hat Theater
I'm a noob when it comes to vmods so please excuse my ignorance. What is a VR? Also, when you say "ground" do you mean, connect the other end to the chassis?

~THT

THT,

A VR is a Variable Resister... Or Pot... You can get them at Radio Shack... With the recommened Resistance.

And Yes, Ground is the Chassis.... I like using the Bare Metal Surface around the Holes for screwing the motherboard to the case. pick one closest to the VR....

BTW, Sys, Nice picture...

Royd

Purity
11-22-2002, 06:22 AM
Excuse my daftness but does increasing or decreasing the resistor value give you more voltage?

I'd rather not try this the experimental way;)

MCWB
11-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Decrease resistance of VR => Voltages go up :)

Top Hat Theater
11-22-2002, 01:39 PM
So by doing this vmod, will the BIOS have more voltage options open or will the board just overvolt the CPU?

~THT

sysfailur
11-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RoydRage
THT,

A VR is a Variable Resister... Or Pot... You can get them at Radio Shack... With the recommened Resistance.

And Yes, Ground is the Chassis.... I like using the Bare Metal Surface around the Holes for screwing the motherboard to the case. pick one closest to the VR....

BTW, Sys, Nice picture...

Royd

Thanks! :) I use the fan plug grounds myself. ;)

sysfailur
11-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Top Hat Theater
So by doing this vmod, will the BIOS have more voltage options open or will the board just overvolt the CPU?

~THT

Well you can turn the VR to whatever voltage you want on the fly. It doesn't actually give you more options in the bios like "2.00" and you can just select it in the menu. What I do is I have set the "1.65" in the bios to 1.95. So When I put it @ 1.85 I get 2.15. Then If I want more voltage I'll just up it w/ the VR while in windows.

[H]AMDGamer
11-22-2002, 10:29 PM
hey can sys can you link me to the data sheet for the Vmem regulator i cant find it

i found the one for the Vcore http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8162.pdf

sysfailur
11-23-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by [H]AMDGamer
hey can sys can you link me to the data sheet for the Vmem regulator i cant find it

i found the one for the Vcore http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8162.pdf

Nope I can't. DDTUNG can though ;) He found them somewhere... I tried looking but had no clue where to find em.

LardArse
11-23-2002, 08:10 AM
Sysfailur, do you have the whole code of your Vmem voltge regulator chip?

sysfailur
11-24-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by LardArse
Sysfailur, do you have the whole code of your Vmem voltge regulator chip?

? No clue.

Maaij
11-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Wow I totally forgot, but then again I remembered... here ya go:

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/pin_for_mem_voltage.jpg

Must I checked is when the computer s on??
The red is to check the voltage right?? and where must I put the black of the multimeter??

I am a noob:)

Galifrey
11-29-2002, 10:19 AM
sweet Sys, your the daddeh :D

sysfailur
11-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Maaij
Must I checked is when the computer s on??
The red is to check the voltage right?? and where must I put the black of the multimeter??

I am a noob:)

The computer must be on, yes. Then take the red lead from the multimeter and put it on the pin, and the black lead on any ground in your computer ;) And you should put your multimeter on V (V for voltage) and on a scale of 20. If you set to 2 it won't work cus the voltage is over 2. ;)

Maaij
11-29-2002, 03:21 PM
The computer must be on, yes. Then take the red lead from the multimeter and put it on the pin, and the black lead on any ground in your computer ;) And you should put your multimeter on V (V for voltage) and on a scale of 20. If you set to 2 it won't work cus the voltage is over 2. ;)

sysfailur, first I must thank you for your great work :)

I did what you said but I dont get a voltage in bij multimeter
It only says 0.00V
Can I measure the voltage without doing the Vddr mod?? I didnt do the mod yet. But I think you can measure the Vddr without doing the mod. You will get the Vddr whats in the bios right??

sysfailur
11-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Maaij
sysfailur, first I must thank you for your great work :)

I did what you said but I dont get a voltage in bij multimeter
It only says 0.00V
Can I measure the voltage without doing the Vddr mod?? I didnt do the mod yet. But I think you can measure the Vddr without doing the mod. You will get the Vddr whats in the bios right??

You're welcome! You may want to check your mult, you may have it on the wrong V. There are two and you need it on the other ;) Or, just recheck to make sure you're connecting properly. You don't need the mod to be able to see the voltages ;)

Maaij
11-29-2002, 04:40 PM
You're welcome! You may want to check your mult, you may have it on the wrong V. There are two and you need it on the other ;) Or, just recheck to make sure you're connecting properly. You don't need the mod to be able to see the voltages ;)

Ok I will checked it again :)

Galifrey
12-02-2002, 08:29 AM
bah screwed it up...

Now got no voltage at all to the cpu it seems...

Ah well, Epox 8RDA+ ordered instead :D

Me :stick: vmodding

Maaij
12-02-2002, 08:42 AM
YESSSSS!!!

My Vcore and Vddr is finished :)

Let's see what my AMDXP 1800+ wil do now :)
AIUGA0242 core, Prometeia cooled :)

vmsrules
12-02-2002, 01:00 PM
i did the vcore mod...
my xp1800+ palomino is running at 9.5x182 vcore 1.95.
it won't run 183 no matter how high the voltage is.
not great, 200mhz oc, but in the old days it would be.

Thanks sys and ddtung

Ace-a-Rue
12-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Nice job in finding those babies....Well done!!:)

PimpJack
12-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Thanx!!!! We need some mods to make this a sticky:toast:

Can the asus probe monitor the raised voltages? I would rather not get a multi m. Also when the vr is set to its highest 25k then what voltage is selected? would that be neutral and give me what bios reads? If not what is a safe setting to get into windows and experiment.

One more thing sys. I noticed u are using pc3500. This board can't oc pc3500 if it is ran in sync so why would u need to do a v mem modd. shouldn't u just keep it at the minimum of 2.6v since ur mem has so much overhead!

sys: please post complete pics of ur board volt modded. Is there a need to cool (heatsink) any of the chips on the motherboard? Even for overclocking puposes like the clock gen or susch?

nikhsub1
12-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Thanks! :) I use the fan plug grounds myself. ;)
Please excuse my ignorance but WHICH pin on the fan header is the ground?

Maaij
12-06-2002, 01:06 AM
The black one :)

sysfailur
12-06-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by nikhsub1
Please excuse my ignorance but WHICH pin on the fan header is the ground?

Well I dunno how to describe it... if you look on a fan plug there is that plastic thingy.....

_____
| ___ | <---plastic thing sticking up
| ... | <---3 pins
|_____|
^
|
ground

Hope that works ;)

sysfailur
12-06-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by PimpJack
Thanx!!!! We need some mods to make this a sticky:toast:

Can the asus probe monitor the raised voltages? I would rather not get a multi m. Also when the vr is set to its highest 25k then what voltage is selected? would that be neutral and give me what bios reads? If not what is a safe setting to get into windows and experiment.

One more thing sys. I noticed u are using pc3500. This board can't oc pc3500 if it is ran in sync so why would u need to do a v mem modd. shouldn't u just keep it at the minimum of 2.6v since ur mem has so much overhead!

sys: please post complete pics of ur board volt modded. Is there a need to cool (heatsink) any of the chips on the motherboard? Even for overclocking puposes like the clock gen or susch?

The asus probe can read the raised CPU voltage, but not the raised mem voltages. When it's set @ 25k, I'm not sure, but it's not anything dangerous.

About my memory, I _was_ planning on getting an 8k9a2+ but newegg never stocked it... so then I saw the Asus NF2 was in stock and said ya know what the heck with the 8k9a2+ I'll just get the A7N8X. And don't think that we won't get past 211mhz fsb. I'm sure I'll be able to get higher soon enough w/ a setfsb programmed for the NF2.

RoydRage
12-06-2002, 05:29 AM
The asus probe can read the raised CPU voltage, but not the raised mem voltages. When it's set @ 25k, I'm not sure, but it's not anything dangerous.

About my memory, I _was_ planning on getting an 8k9a2+ but newegg never stocked it... so then I saw the Asus NF2 was in stock and said ya know what the heck with the 8k9a2+ I'll just get the A7N8X. And don't think that we won't get past 211mhz fsb. I'm sure I'll be able to get higher soon enough w/ a setfsb programmed for the NF2.

Well, Sys You have given the answer to the RAM voltage...

I just used an 8k Resister, this way you don't have to worry, and wonder if the adjustment went out when you can't see it anymore. And measured the voltage with the board outside the case... It gave me 3.28v... And each step lower in the BIOS is proportionatly lower...

You're right about... The FSB.. I can really never get higher than 204MHz. With 1GB of XMS3500 C2.. and I see people with the EPoX and Abit Boards seem to all be doing about the same.... Very fast board for the Speed though... I'm Trying to make up my mind in using this, or the 8k9A2+ For my Big Prome/Lian-Li Christmas Project... The 9A is one sweet board... 218 FSB.... 3300 Sandra.. And VERY stable...

One Big advantage with the A7N8X though is you can use the ATI 9700 Pro... And because of the locked PCI Buss, you can use what ever cards, or hardrives you want without having to worry it limiting you're OC..

Hmmm... Decisions, Decisions...

Later.... Royd

nikhsub1
12-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Well I dunno how to describe it... if you look on a fan plug there is that plastic thingy.....

_____
| ___ | <---plastic thing sticking up
| ... | <---3 pins
|_____|
^
|
ground

Hope that works ;)
Exactly the answer I was looking for! Since I don't have any 3 pin fans in my system, I can't look for the black wire.

PimpJack
12-06-2002, 06:08 PM
HMMM... no sticky yet? This is one of the most talked about mobos now'a days

nikhsub1
12-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Another newb question, I went to radio shack, they didn't have a 25k or a 15k VR, they had others but they all had 3 connection points on them. Don't I wan't a VR with just 2 leads? One to mobo and one to ground right?

Antomathy
12-09-2002, 08:27 PM
sorry to ask such a stupid question, but..

any chance that someone could quickly tell me what pins on the vr (for cpu) i need to wire up to ground and the pin on the motherboard?

i think i wire a wire frlom the motherboard to pin 1, then ground to pin 2. so i leave pin 3 empty?

sysfailur
12-10-2002, 02:48 PM
To answer both of you guys, use the middle one and one of the side ones. Don't use both the outter pins. :) All those mean is if you use the left and middle, or right and middle, one when turned clockwise will raise resistance, and if you use the other 2, when turned clockwise it will lower resistance. That's all. It really doesn't matter which way you choose to hook it up as long as you use the middle pin and one of the other 2.

nikhsub1
12-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Success!!! VCORE mod complete!! Thanks sysfailur! I don't know HOW you soldered onto the board... I used an SMD Grabber, tiny test clip which holds like the devil and for the ground I used a 3 pin plug plugged to a fan header on the mobo!!! Now onto the VDIMM mod!

eliteone
12-11-2002, 03:46 PM
am I at any risk doing these vmods? What should I put the VR at when I first test it out to make sure it doesnt pump crazy voltage through?

sysfailur
12-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Success!!! VCORE mod complete!! Thanks sysfailur! I don't know HOW you soldered onto the board... I used an SMD Grabber, tiny test clip which holds like the devil and for the ground I used a 3 pin plug plugged to a fan header on the mobo!!! Now onto the VDIMM mod!

Glad it worked for ya!!! I'm pretty new to soldering, but my neighbor gave me some good techniques. When I solder I always put a little solder on the pin I'm soldering and also on the wire I'm soldering to it. So when you connect it all you have to do is heat it up some and it connects really easy. The cpu one was SOOOOOOOOO hard to get, but I got it eventually hehe. The memory was easy as pie.

sysfailur
12-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by eliteone
am I at any risk doing these vmods? What should I put the VR at when I first test it out to make sure it doesnt pump crazy voltage through?

If you do em properly and make sure you have good solders before you fire it up you should be fine. You should set it @ the values given, 25k and 15k or whatever. From there you can then lower the resistance and raise the voltage ;)

eliteone
12-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh ok so 25k and 15k will keep me at the voltage that I set it to in the bios right? Then from there I lower it and the bios will tell me the vcore? Can the vdimm be checked in sandra or something? Oh and why do you say if I have good solders? I plan to juse use those little clips from radio shack and just clip em on. If a clip falls off it will just go back to the voltage that its set to in the bios right?

sysfailur
12-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by eliteone
Oh ok so 25k and 15k will keep me at the voltage that I set it to in the bios right? Then from there I lower it and the bios will tell me the vcore? Can the vdimm be checked in sandra or something? Oh and why do you say if I have good solders? I plan to juse use those little clips from radio shack and just clip em on. If a clip falls off it will just go back to the voltage that its set to in the bios right?

Yes they should keep you at a normal voltage (maybe slightly raised, I forget). Vdimm can only be checked so far by taking a direct reading from the mosfet pictured.

And I meant if you don't have a good solder like the solder is touching more than it should, or whatever.

If you're using a clip then that's fine, you should be ok. Just make sure the clips are very small.

If a clip falls off... that may not be good. If the clip touches something else stuff could short out or fry maybe. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that could happen.

nikhsub1
12-11-2002, 05:50 PM
OK, my VDIMM mod is done too... The leg for the memory voltage is WAY smaller than for the core voltage... These clips REALLY hold, they are tiny and there is nothing exposed except the part that hooks to the leg. I have max VCORE of 2.05 and max VDIMM of 3.15, ahh just the way I like it! Pics soon...

nikhsub1
12-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I thought I took MORE pics, oh well, here are a few shots of the SMD grabbers on the mobo:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vcore.jpg

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vdimm.jpg

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/ground.jpg

sysfailur
12-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Looks nice!!! :)

N8
12-12-2002, 03:02 PM
nikhsub1,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the SMD grabbers? I need to buy some someday & I'm trying to find em cheap somewhere :)

BTW, nice to see you over here...believe I recognize the name from overclockers.com forums ;)

nikhsub1
12-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by N8
nikhsub1,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the SMD grabbers? I need to buy some someday & I'm trying to find em cheap somewhere :)

BTW, nice to see you over here...believe I recognize the name from overclockers.com forums ;)
I got mine at Fry's. You have to LOOK, but they have a bunch of POMONA stuff. They had 2 packs of 2, I bought them both and ruined 2 of them! Soldering the wire to them is tricky. I think they were like $3.50 for 2, well worth it IMO and, I can unhook the vmod in seconds with no trace... Yea, OC.com, procooling, AOA all the usual suspects.

zdnet
12-13-2002, 07:45 PM
I am a beginner, and I want to buy this MB, which CPU, the frequency, will I need.

sysfailur
12-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by zdnet
I am a beginner, and I want to buy this MB, which CPU, the frequency, will I need.

You can use whatever processor you want on it... a Duron, a Thoroughbred. I would recommend a 1800+ Thoroughbred from newegg if you're a beginner and on a budget. If you're not on a budget, a 2600+, 2700+, or 2800+ Thoroughbred would be a good buy.

nikhsub1
12-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Thought I'd post a more complete picture!

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vcoreclose.jpg

SHrKY
12-20-2002, 11:08 PM
I realize this is completly off topic, but oh well...

Hey nikhsub1 does that northbridge fan help fsb stability at higher speeds? Your sig shows you have it running at 200MHz, and I was wondering if it was the active cooling that got it there. Mine can only manage 191MHz stable... :(
Any hints on how to do it?

nikhsub1
12-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SHrKY
I realize this is completly off topic, but oh well...

Hey nikhsub1 does that northbridge fan help fsb stability at higher speeds? Your sig shows you have it running at 200MHz, and I was wondering if it was the active cooling that got it there. Mine can only manage 191MHz stable... :(
Any hints on how to do it?
Don't know really, I got new ram and the cooler at the same time and installed them at the same time so I have no Idea... Some say it does help while others see no gain. I have new ram coming monday, I should be able to run 211 sync no problems - me thinks NF2 chipset may have some issues, we'll see.

BBQdaBaby
12-27-2002, 01:26 AM
im going to use the smd grabbers. i want to use a voltage that will let me hit the max fsb. what kind of VRs should i use?

sysfailur
12-27-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by BBQdaBaby
im going to use the smd grabbers. i want to use a voltage that will let me hit the max fsb. what kind of VRs should i use?

As the pictures say...... 1 X 25k, 1 X 15k.

nikhsub1
12-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by BBQdaBaby
I got a 47K for the VCORE from radio shack and a 20K for the mem from Fry's. You could use a 47K for the mem to if you had to...

impulse
12-27-2002, 01:00 PM
This may be a totally rediculous question but, where do you measure for vcore on the mobo? Would you measure right off the IC chip? I cant get asus probe to work and theres no voltage check in the bios. Also MBM doesnt support a7n8x yet.

nikhsub1
12-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by impulse
This may be a totally rediculous question but, where do you measure for vcore on the mobo? Would you measure right off the IC chip? I cant get asus probe to work and theres no voltage check in the bios. Also MBM doesnt support a7n8x yet.
There is VCORE in the bios...

impulse
12-27-2002, 01:52 PM
erm sorry, shoulda been clearer. Bios doesnt work at sub-zero temps. It freezes in the monitoring section. Sok I figured it out.

sysfailur
12-27-2002, 03:06 PM
I got a 47K for the VCORE from radio shack and a 20K for the mem from Fry's. You could use a 47K for the mem to if you had to...

I actually used 2 50ks cus I couldn't find any, but the value you want it set at is 25k and 15k. If you can find a mult-turn trimpot @ a higher value (not too high like 100k) then just use that but turn it down the appropriate resistance.

nikhsub1
12-27-2002, 03:08 PM
I actually used 2 50ks cus I couldn't find any, but the value you want it set at is 25k and 15k. If you can find a mult-turn trimpot @ a higher value (not too high like 100k) then just use that but turn it down the appropriate resistance.
sys that's where I think he got confused, try to find a 15K VR, not easy to find!

NUNEZ1980
01-01-2003, 02:37 PM
HI THERE,

I have a asus board a7n8x non deluxe, I have the same chip but with a different name for the vcore, I wanted to know if the mod can still be done:confused:

kb4343
01-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Ahhh..this vmod thread is just what I was looking for!!

I have a Unlocked XP1600+ on a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe,
I can't seem to get the system stable over 1800mhz. Highest stable is 1780mhz.
Everybody keeps telling me to "GIVE THE CHIP MORE VOLTAGE!!"

Well here is my question:
I just ordered a 92mm Tornado, so if I do this vmod, will my 92mm Tornado and SLK-800 be enough cooling?

I have plenty of case fans to move the air in and out of the case.

Are all of you guys using water cooling with a vmod?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!!

nikhsub1
01-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by kb4343
Ahhh..this vmod thread is just what I was looking for!!

I have a Unlocked XP1600+ on a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe,
I can't seem to get the system stable over 1800mhz. Highest stable is 1780mhz.
Everybody keeps telling me to "GIVE THE CHIP MORE VOLTAGE!!"

Well here is my question:
I just ordered a 92mm Tornado, so if I do this vmod, will my 92mm Tornado and SLK-800 be enough cooling?

I have plenty of case fans to move the air in and out of the case.

Are all of you guys using water cooling with a vmod?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!!
With that CPU and highend air cooling, I would NOT go above 1.95V or 2V at the max. But, it is only a $50 CPU so it's up to you but you do get to a point of diminishing returns with voltage. The Vmod should help you push that CPU further... And yes, I use highend watercooling.

kb4343
01-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Right now the chip is at 1.85v.

Will 1.90 or 1.95 make a big difference in stability?

nikhsub1
01-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Right now the chip is at 1.85v.

Will 1.90 or 1.95 make a big difference in stability?
Most likely.

ShoKinG
01-02-2003, 06:02 PM
tnx sysfailur it help me a lot !

kb4343
01-02-2003, 07:57 PM
How about my temps?
Will the small increase in voltage really make them spike?

Right now Asus Probe reports CPU @ 34 idle and 40 full load.

And thats with a YS Tech 80mm pushing about 48cfm's.

My 92mm Tornado (113cfm's) should be here any day.

HMB
01-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Chipset V-mod for A7N8X? Yes yes... gimme gimme gimme :)

nikhsub1
01-03-2003, 11:51 AM
How about my temps?
Will the small increase in voltage really make them spike?

Right now Asus Probe reports CPU @ 34 idle and 40 full load.

And thats with a YS Tech 80mm pushing about 48cfm's.

My 92mm Tornado (113cfm's) should be here any day.
Yes, even small increases in vcore will increase heat alot. Just watch your temps.

kb4343
01-05-2003, 06:18 PM
A previously unanswerd post asked if this vmod will work on the Deluxe version as well.

Will it?

sysfailur
01-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ShoKinG
tnx sysfailur it help me a lot !

You're welcome! :)

sysfailur
01-06-2003, 08:20 PM
A previously unanswerd post asked if this vmod will work on the Deluxe version as well.

Will it?

Well I just got a PM, or an E-Mail....

"just needed your advice, I got the asus a7n8x non deluxe and I try the cpu volt increase with the vr and nothing happeneds, I check all connections and different resistor and nothing, can you please help me out!"

But what I'm thinking is that he may not be turning the VR enough... or if he is, he's turning it the wrong way heh...

So when he gets my reply hopefully he'll try turning it more and it will work :)

NUNEZ1980
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
I try three different vr, I try 25k, 47k, two 47k together, I have a volt reader that I check resistance, I did my r9700 so I did something right, back on the case, I got good ground, try from mobo and chassis, the only think I notice is that the name of the chip is different than the one for the deluxe, I think the mod is jus for the deluxe.:(

NUNEZ1980
01-06-2003, 09:29 PM
sysfailur, how can I check the vcore with tester, I think the software is not working properly, want to findout direct, tnx

:)

sysfailur
01-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by NUNEZ1980
sysfailur, how can I check the vcore with tester, I think the software is not working properly, want to findout direct, tnx

:)

I think if you poke around on the mosfets by the CPU, on one of those pins you should get the CPU voltage. That's how I got the memory voltage, so just check around there ;)

NUNEZ1980
01-06-2003, 10:00 PM
I think if you poke around on the mosfets by the CPU, on one of those pins you should get the CPU voltage. That's how I got the memory voltage, so just check around there ;)

I try them, no luck:rolleyes:

kb4343
01-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Sysfailur,

You have the A7N8X Deluxe?

Kato
01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Guys, whats the highest voltage with the vomodd you guys can get, without the OVP kicking in? I did the Vcore modd, but somehow the computer will froze when the vcore are higher than 2.1V:mad:

nikhsub1
01-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kato
Guys, whats the highest voltage with the vomodd you guys can get, without the OVP kicking in? I did the Vcore modd, but somehow the computer will froze when the vcore are higher than 2.1V:mad:
The highest I have been to is 2.05...

[TS]T㣣ã 2XLC
01-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Thought I'd post a more complete picture!

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vcoreclose.jpg

hi,
just a question:

is it a Crystal ORB on your NB? does it fit into the original holes of the passive cooler which is installed by ASUS or did u use the pad?

thx!

nikhsub1
01-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by [TS]T㣣ã 2XLC
hi,
just a question:

is it a Crystal ORB on your NB? does it fit into the original holes of the passive cooler which is installed by ASUS or did u use the pad?

thx!
Yes, crystal orb. I scraped all the pink crap off the NB and used AS2. Yes the ORB fits in the stock holes.

[TS]T㣣ã 2XLC
01-10-2003, 03:59 PM
k, thx a lot!

i scraped the pink crap off the NB and used also AS2 but i had to use the passive cooler again (i have nothing else here at the moment). but if you say it will fit into the holes, then i'll try the Crystal ORB too :)

sysfailur
01-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Sysfailur,

You have the A7N8X Deluxe?

I have the Deluxe version, yes.

[TS]T㣣ã 2XLC
01-13-2003, 06:05 AM
sysfailur,

did u use for the Vcore mod a 1/4W 25kOhm resistor? or did u use a VR? i dont know how much W it must have... i think 1/4W or not?

how much Vcore do u get with the 25kOhm resistor? over 2.00V?

thx ;)

NUNEZ1980
01-13-2003, 08:05 AM
sysfailur,

did u use for the Vcore mod a 1/4W 25kOhm resistor? or did u use a VR? i dont know how much W it must have... i think 1/4W or not?

thx ;)

the best thing to do is get a 50K RV and it will give .05 over the one selected in the bios, from there you can increase untill you reach the volt you need or the fasety thing kicks in and shuts the comp when it reaches the limit;)

sysfailur
01-13-2003, 09:45 AM
sysfailur,

thx ;)

Well I threw the boxes away so I can't tell you. If you see in my pics (on other threads) my VR's are humungous. So maybe they were a larger wattage. I'm not sure. I have actually disconnected them and I will be putting on smaller multi-turn pots.

I have gotten up to 2.18v on the core and as much as I want on the mem.... 3.59v (by accident I had it that high).

HMB
01-13-2003, 12:59 PM
I think its time we add VDD voltmod for the a7n8x to this thread, dont you think? :)

luihed
01-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi nooby here,If I use a 25k VR and set it to its lowest setting, what kind of vcore would I be getting and will this fry my mobo/cpu? Also how can i test the new vcore so i can reference it to the bios vcore?

NUNEZ1980
01-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by luihed
Hi nooby here,If I use a 25k VR and set it to its lowest setting, what kind of vcore would I be getting and will this fry my mobo/cpu? Also how can i test the new vcore so i can reference it to the bios vcore?

well, if you do that, that and checking if a gun fires filled with bullets while aiming at your head wouldn't be that far off:stick:

seriously, don't do that, get yourself a 50k vr, set it to 50k, that will give you around .05 over whatever is selected in the bios, from the lower resistance and youre set:banana:

luihed
01-14-2003, 09:31 PM
No way I will do that with my board lol. Ive never voltmoded b4 and have never seen a VR before, just wanna know the worst case scenerio if I did it wrong. One more thing, if I get the 50k vr and set it at 50k, would i be able to lower the resistor to get more than .5v? I figure i need .1v to be stable at 2078mhz w my 1800+. Thank bro.

NUNEZ1980
01-14-2003, 09:40 PM
No way I will do that with my board lol. Ive never voltmoded b4 and have never seen a VR before, just wanna know the worst case scenerio if I did it wrong. One more thing, if I get the 50k vr and set it at 50k, would i be able to lower the resistor to get more than .5v? I figure i need .1v to be stable at 2078mhz w my 1800+. Thank bro.

example, bios 1.65, real, 1.70, ext

ok, and please make sure you get a tester so you know the resistance before aplying it to you board,

VR, have three legs, you only need to use two, the center one and one of the other, but when turning the knob will change depending on the outher leg you choose, the tester is handy in this case because you can check which way will give less or more resistance:)

and looks at this I this my first mod, like less than a week ago, so I can tell you this is very simple but you must be careful, I did my mobo, and my r9700:banana:, good look and have some fun while you are at it:toast:

luihed
01-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks Nunez1980, Are you saying that turning the vr will give me more than .05 that I need? cos Im at max 1.75v right now and I wanna get to 1.9 - 2v. Will the 50k vr sufficient or do I need a 25k instead or something inbetween?

NUNEZ1980
01-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks Nunez1980, Are you saying that turning the vr will give me more than .05 that I need? cos Im at max 1.75v right now and I wanna get to 1.9 - 2v. Will the 50k vr sufficient or do I need a 25k instead or something inbetween?

oh, I see, check this out>

100K max resistance 100K, minimum resistance 0.0K
50K " " 50K, " " 0.0K
25K " " 25K, " " 0.0K
10K " " 10K, " " 0.0K

get, 100K or 50K RV is not a resistor, a 100K resistor is just a 100K can't change that, but with a 100K RV you can start at 100K and lower when needed.

this is why RV are good for mod because you can increase or decrease, while resistor are fix:smileysex is simple, but since you hadven't had any experience it feels a little complicated, but you will get it:toast:

luihed
01-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Is a 50k potentiometer(??) the samething as a 50K VR?

nikhsub1
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Is a 50k potentiometer(??) the samething as a 50K VR?
Yes. VR (variable resistor) and potentometer are essentially the same thing.

NUNEZ1980
01-16-2003, 07:42 PM
nikhsub1

can you please tell me how to tell the speed of winbond ram, and at what volt you got it in your nforce and bios version, tnx:rolleyes:

nikhsub1
01-17-2003, 10:09 AM
nikhsub1

can you please tell me how to tell the speed of winbond ram, and at what volt you got it in your nforce and bios version, tnx:rolleyes:
Tell me what it says on the chips of the ram. I am using the UBER hacked bios, but, makes no diff I still can't get above 200. I have the ram at 2.8V

NUNEZ1980
01-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Tell me what it says on the chips of the ram. I am using the UBER hacked bios, but, makes no diff I still can't get above 200. I have the ram at 2.8V

hi there,
I have the asus non deluxe, try bios e,d, beta and the hack one,
ok,

first sticker: TwinMOS
second " : 256D8D328-32 0010762
third " : P/N:M2S9I08AF AWB9F0811A-T
302M5300190279
PC3200(CL2.5) 256MB DDR-DIMM

I have two and they are both single side, do you think a heat sink with fan would help now or after the chip set mod, thx:rolleyes:

nikhsub1
01-17-2003, 11:20 AM
hi there,
I have the asus non deluxe, try bios e,d, beta and the hack one,
ok,

first sticker: TwinMOS
second " : 256D8D328-32 0010762
third " : P/N:M2S9I08AF AWB9F0811A-T
302M5300190279
PC3200(CL2.5) 256MB DDR-DIMM

I have two and they are both single side, do you think a heat sink with fan would help now or after the chip set mod, thx:rolleyes:
Not the sticker info, there should be some printing on the actual chips, what does THAT say?

NUNEZ1980
01-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Not the sticker info, there should be some printing on the actual chips, what does THAT say?

winbond
250we
w942508bh-5

nikhsub1
01-17-2003, 11:50 AM
winbond
250we
w942508bh-5
Ok, that is the good Winbond 5ns chips. This ram is rated at CL 2.5, but I run it at 4-2-2-2 at 200 FSB. Now, keep in mind that it should not be the ram holding back your FSB, it is something else, chipset voltage I suspect. I used the UBER bios but that still has not let me go past 200:mad: How high of a FSB were you able to go with your other ram?

NUNEZ1980
01-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Ok, that is the good Winbond 5ns chips. This ram is rated at CL 2.5, but I run it at 4-2-2-2 at 200 FSB. Now, keep in mind that it should not be the ram holding back your FSB, it is something else, chipset voltage I suspect. I used the UBER bios but that still has not let me go past 200:mad: How high of a FSB were you able to go with your other ram?

195, when I try 200, it corrupted my drive:(, do you know the procedure to reach max, a program to test memory, I try memory86, and when it reaches 64%, the section of errors goes up very fast, its this normal, I try@ 133, 166, 190, and samething:(

nikhsub1
01-17-2003, 12:30 PM
195, when I try 200, it corrupted my drive:(, do you know the procedure to reach max, a program to test memory, I try memory86, and when it reaches 64%, the section of errors goes up very fast, its this normal, I try@ 133, 166, 190, and samething:(
If you are getting errors in memtest, there is a problem with the ram, especially at only 133! How many sticks do you have? If you have more than 1, test each stick seperately with memtest to see which one is the problem...

NUNEZ1980
01-17-2003, 02:44 PM
If you are getting errors in memtest, there is a problem with the ram, especially at only 133! How many sticks do you have? If you have more than 1, test each stick seperately with memtest to see which one is the problem...

I try 166, like for 30m and no errors, what is the shortest period of time need to find most errors? :rolleyes:

NUNEZ1980
01-18-2003, 05:04 PM
nikhsub1 or any one be kind to send me the bios 102 beta 001, I need it to unlock again my cpu, I had it but lost the disk, thanx

nunez1980@hotmail.com

kb4343
01-18-2003, 06:28 PM
I am happy to report that my first vmod was a SUCCESS!!!
No pops or smoke when I turned it on!!! :D

Here is a pic:
http://www.savethru.com/vmod

Here is what I have my 1600+ upto so far using 2.0v:
http://www.savethru.com/OC%201861

My temps are still awesome 34 idle--38 load.
Man... The SLK-800 and 92mm Tornado is a great combo!:D

I tried to set the voltage over 2.0v without success.

I set it to 2.05, save changes and exit from the BIOS.
Then something weird happens.
The system will not display anything and some of my case fans stop working. My CPU fan still runs but my exhaust fans stop.
I have to pull the power plug, lower the resistor(voltage) and wait a few minutes for it to reset. Then I get video again.

Does this systemboard have some sort of OverVolt Protection?
Could it be something else causing this?

The reason why I did this volt mod was to get this 1600+ stable above 1800mhz. I was kinda hoping to hit 1.9ghz with the vmod but it looks very doubtful.

Maybe I should just fry this damn 1600+ and buy me a 1700+ Tbred 'B'. I heard they have been hitting 2.5ghz!!!

NUNEZ1980
01-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Does this systemboard have some sort of OverVolt Protection?

yes you are correct, whener you pass the limit your mobo will freeze, and if you restart while alittle over, you system will freeze and off and on again and it should work, but everytime it will need to be shut off and then on again, something like, but is better to find the sweet spot and you won't have any problems:D

kb4343
01-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Yeah...thats exactly what is happening.
What I did was adjust the volatge regulator higher with the system off. I know this sounds crazy but I did it in small increments. I got the system to boot at 2.05v but I can't reboot. It just craps out.

So I backed it down to 2.01v and now it works fine.

I just ordered a 1700+ 'B'. :D
Hopefully I can get it upto 2.5ghz like some of the others I have seen. 1860mhz just isn't cutting it!! ;)

NUNEZ1980
01-19-2003, 07:48 PM
some more bad news:( , I found out that the problem with my system not wanting to run my memory higher them 174, the more I increase the cpu volt mod, the more errors I get, I think there is a conflict, can somebody confirmed this:mad:

dammi* now I get the same issue with my r9700, what could it be?

Guys do you think by putting washers on the bottom of the screws that grap the board to the case might help?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

luihed
01-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Nunez, could it be that your hitting the capability of your ram? I have a 256mg Samsung pc2700 and I cannot take it more than 178fsb at even the most relaxed setting. My OCZ on the other hand goes as high as my mobo can take it.

NUNEZ1980
01-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Nunez, could it be that your hitting the capability of your ram? I have a 256mg Samsung pc2700 and I cannot take it more than 178fsb at even the most relaxed setting. My OCZ on the other hand goes as high as my mobo can take it.

no, you don't get, in simplier terms

pc with mod, max 174 4-2-2-2

pc without mod, max 200 4-2-2-2

this is also happening to my r9700, the more voltage the gpu gets, the worst the performance of the memory, just like the cpu
:mad:

this is an issue, cause I need more voltage to be able to run the cpu real fast, but in return the memory is doing bad, when both are used at the same time, dammi*, Now I remember that a friend told me that if a board is not designed to run cpu volt up to 2.2, there might be problems getting one that only does 1.85 to 2.2:( oh well, thats life,

solution, new mobo, or just get half and half:rolleyes:

maxwell
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
need help...

wath for a resistor should i use when i dont want to use a VR to get vcore to 2,25 and vmem to 3,3V

sysfailur
01-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by maxwell
need help...

wath for a resistor should i use when i dont want to use a VR to get vcore to 2,25 and vmem to 3,3V

You won't be able to hit 2.25v on the vcore... most people top out at 2.12-2.18v.

For 3.3v, hmm... I think that would be around 11.5k? When I was @ 12.6k I believe I had 3.2v. *I think*. I could be wrong.

cleoent
02-13-2003, 04:24 PM
sorry for being a tard, but i looked through the first page and couldn't find my answer, so my question is, what do I use to connect the wire to the chip? Solder? Glue?

Sorry for the dumb and probably repetive question :(

nikhsub1
02-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by cleoent
sorry for being a tard, but i looked through the first page and couldn't find my answer, so my question is, what do I use to connect the wire to the chip? Solder? Glue?

Sorry for the dumb and probably repetive question :(
I used an SMD Grabber, I would NOT recommend glue for this mod, either solder or use a grabber. I put some pics in this thread somewhere...

cleoent
02-13-2003, 04:29 PM
what is SMD grabber? Can i buy it at radio shack?

nikhsub1
02-13-2003, 04:33 PM
No. Radio shack does not have them. Fry's does if you have one near you, or you need to order from online. Here is some more info: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1152

Here is my pictures: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=71505#post71505

cleoent
02-13-2003, 06:07 PM
hmm... that was the easiest mod i've ever done. I bought a cheap grabber from fry's, and a 25k pentometer and now im running a 2v, sweet!

cleoent
02-13-2003, 06:07 PM
hmm... that was the easiest mod i've ever done. I bought a cheap grabber from fry's, and a 25k pentometer and now im running a 2v, sweet!

sysfailur
02-13-2003, 06:11 PM
cleoent: Awesome man! :toast:

NUNEZ1980
02-13-2003, 07:42 PM

SMD grabber is a little hook that you use instead of soldering into the board to make the connection, good for people like me that don't have any experience with soldering :D

yes you can buy some grabber at radio shack but they are in a form of hook that looks like and L with one stringe coming out which is not as good as the ones found at fry's or online, that has two and hooks more secured...

I bought some online for the mobo and I'm using two that I got from radio shack for my r9700, but I had to clue then to make sure then don't slip :D

Mugen1516
02-14-2003, 07:55 PM
so do these mods work on the non-deluxe too?

utherwun
02-19-2003, 08:52 PM
i got 2 15k vrs and 1 25k vr. i know one 25 and one 15 would do it for the cpu and ddr, but im not sure about the vdd. will the 15k be too much, too little, or just right for the vdd????

sysfailur
02-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by utherwun
i got 2 15k vrs and 1 25k vr. i know one 25 and one 15 would do it for the cpu and ddr, but im not sure about the vdd. will the 15k be too much, too little, or just right for the vdd????

Woa there! You need 1 MEGA OHM, or 1000K Ohm resistor AND a 1 MEGA Ohm variable resitor. 25k aint gonna cut it!

utherwun
02-20-2003, 03:04 AM
thats good to know :rolleyes:

guess i need to either go up to radio shack or peerless and then on to :stick:

thanks for telling me sys.

sysfailur
02-20-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by utherwun
thats good to know :rolleyes:

guess i need to either go up to radio shack or peerless and then on to :stick:

thanks for telling me sys.

No prob ;)

phobix
02-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Just want to thank you guys for these Mods, they work great. :toast:

King_Tweaker
03-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much for all the info guys. I am gonna get all this stuff as soon as possible but I need to find a good online UK store that will ship all these goodies to me in Ireland.

Anyone know any good stores.

maplin.co.uk have a nice collection but I can't see any 25k resistors there.

?

noikz
04-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Anyone know any good stores

RS Components sell em dude. www.rswww.com

Thanks for all the info to every1 mines up n running. VDD mod next. :|

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noikz/DCP_1331.JPG

blubbo
06-30-2003, 01:45 PM
can I use two VR:s in the vmem mod? If I can then that would be great since i have two 10kohm VR:s here on my desk. Going to buy a 47kohm VR for vcore mod tommorow and I already have done my vdd mod.

NUNEZ1980
06-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by blubbo
can I use two VR:s in the vmem mod? If I can then that would be great since i have two 10kohm VR:s here on my desk. Going to buy a 47kohm VR for vcore mod tommorow and I already have done my vdd mod.

yes you can, just remember that when you hook only one end to each other they will add, while you hook both ends they will be subtrate, can't remember but I think I'm right, but to make sure use a multimeter to make sure, don't want to kill the board, right? :D

NUNEZ1980
06-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mugen1516
so do these mods work on the non-deluxe too?

yes:D

Bugs
07-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Where I can read Vcore directly on board? (not by software);)
Thanks

sysfailur
07-08-2003, 12:56 AM
bugs: I'm not sure, but you can just look in the bios...

Bugs
07-08-2003, 10:39 AM
I don´t like BIOS readings either...
My psu is giving 5V e 3,33V exactly and in BIOS there is 4,8V and 3,2V.
So I decided to meassure Vcore on the same IC and pin where the Vmod for Vcore is done, here...

And whit 1,8V choosen on BIOS, there was 1,79-1,80 V on my multimeter.
For Vdd I used this point for monitor...

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_super_a7n8x/vddmod.jpg

And there was 1,55-1,56V

I just want to know if, when I done the Vmods, I can still read my voltages on the same points.
Thanks

sysfailur
07-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Hmm well, I don't know about measuring the same pin. I would tell you if I had an A7N8X on me but I don't. Perhaps if someone else could check....

As for the same spot for the VDD, yes you still measure from there after the vmod. But I'm not sure bout the cpu.

Bugs
07-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok, thanks anyway.
Guess I should ho ahead with the Vmods, calculate depending on resistor wich Voltage should I get in those points, then measure and compare with BIOS readings.
Anyway if anybody knows a good Vcore reading point (pin), please post it here :toast:
Regards

blubbo
07-16-2003, 04:39 AM
yes you can, just remember that when you hook only one end to each other they will add, while you hook both ends they will be subtrate, can't remember but I think I'm right, but to make sure use a multimeter to make sure, don't want to kill the board, right? :D

No, not really :p. I'll just check with a multimeter. Thanks btw!

roky
07-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi there,

Have done the vcore mod and all works great. But I have a problem…

When I Set FSB/Mult to 215X12.5 @ 1.95V - All looks good - Rock Solid. But when I move to 216X12.5 @ 2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3…V - Cannot get a good stable rig. I noted that when I go up that High (2+V’s) A> the fan connected to the Mobo CPU FAN Header slows down and the B> Core voltage drops when I start a CPU test.
– Is this a problem with my PSU? – using an Enermax 550WAT
– Is it the voltage of the mobo? – if so can I mod that to?

Can some one help me?

Blue078
07-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Do theise mods still work for the rev 2.00 A7N8X Deluxe's ???

blubbo
07-29-2003, 02:47 PM
BLue078: Yepp, I can't see why not! Also roky has one :D

Blue078
07-29-2003, 03:43 PM
:cool: I'll round up some VR's tomarrow and give it a try.
I need more vdimm 2.8 sucks

roky
07-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi there,

Rev 2 works AOK on the VCORE - Have not done the Vdimm yet..

In relation to my previous post. It was indeed the PSU - it was not able to sustain a stable supply of current to the Mobo/CPU (Fans slow down - erratic V readings)

Replaced it with a Server class PSU (Enermax EG851AX-VH) last night... Initial test results are good - Brought the unit to a Vcore 2.06V - Rock solid and also as it happens got my best OC to date (12.5X217) rock solid .

Moral of the story – if you want to go with a High Vcore get a goooodddddd PSU

ROK
:) :)

XXl
07-31-2003, 01:59 AM
hi,

i wona have 0,2V - 0,3V more v-core but i won't have a VR. can u tell me which resister i need?

XXl
08-02-2003, 10:05 AM
hi, plz help me

XXl
08-03-2003, 12:08 PM
whats the maximum and whats the minimum V-core u can get with the 25k VR ? with the bios settings 1,65 V

roky
08-05-2003, 04:02 AM
I am using a 50K VR - but figure that U should be able to go from 1.7V - 2.1V+ ...

Hell-Fire
08-05-2003, 08:17 PM
I use a 50K and easily get to 2.1,,,so theres some left in it..

Way I have it is at +.05 for each setting in bios until I want to bench,,then I set it so its at 2.05 at 1.85 in bios.

roky
08-06-2003, 07:33 PM
HI,

Have noticed that my vCore becomes erratic above 2V going up and down like crazy i.e. I set it to 2.02 and under load it may go up to 2.05 and then drop to 1.95v! .

Does anyone have idea as to what might be happening and what I can to do to resolve it?

Hell-Fire
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by roky
HI,

Have noticed that my vCore becomes erratic above 2V going up and down like crazy i.e. I set it to 2.02 and under load it may go up to 2.05 and then drop to 1.95v! .

Does anyone have idea as to what might be happening and what I can to do to resolve it?

Not sure....mine does that as well...

Thought maybe is was my psu, but after the mod made my rails solid and high, still does it.

Hell-Fire
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by roky
HI,

Not sure....mine does that as well...

Thought maybe is was my psu, but after the mod made my rails solid and high, still does it.

But mine doesnt flux that much,,maybe .02 or so.

roky
09-02-2003, 02:49 PM
How does one make the Rails solid and High?

Hell-Fire
09-02-2003, 08:40 PM
You need to tell us what psu you are using in your rig bud before we can help you.

It may be something simple you can do based on your psu maker and model, or it may take a vmod or 2.

Teus
09-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I think it's most likely the PSU, or some mosfets on the board are running hot (causes fluctuations too)

roky
09-03-2003, 03:02 AM
Hi there, Thanks for the help thus far Guys.

My power supply is en Enermax EG851AX-VH. - In reply to post 158

I have also noticed that the cluster of 4 mosfets (above the AGP slot) run quite hot even with a passive heat sink. - In reply to post 159

ROK

saaya
09-03-2003, 05:38 AM
really? on my board they are only getting a bit warm. ~40°C...maybe 50°C

but not like 80°C on my 8rda+!!!

X-Ecutioner
10-14-2003, 08:47 AM
i got a question im plainin to vmod my a7n8x ... wont be a too big prob ...

my question is : do i have to set the pot to min or something so i dont get like 3 volts and kill the system?
the first start after the mod u know... or wont it boot if i set it too low?

thx in advance

X

Hell-Fire
10-14-2003, 07:40 PM
At first boot you need to set it at a high resistence so that the voltage flow is low.

After a boot, check your voltage at the measuring point and adjust from there. Depending on what pot you used, you will need to be very careful how fast you turn that puppy.

Overlag
11-12-2003, 11:10 AM
bump!

is there a Northbridge voltage mod for this board? Ive been told to raise it from 1.5 to 1.7 if i want over 200fsb....

oh and hi btw :)

Hell-Fire
11-12-2003, 05:58 PM
http://www.maximumoc.com/

There are several links at the top of this page. Click the one named "Guides and Articles". You will see a listing for A7N8X.

I am not sure if you have looked into vmodding the A7N8X b4 or not, and whether you are familiar with its component placement on the mainboard, but sometimes people call the North Bridge vmod the South Bridge vmod simply because the actual mod occurs near the SB chip. Not sure what moddin the SB would gain someone in the first place since it controls USB, sound and stuff like that.

There are several ways to do the NB vmod, but I recommend the one where you solder the resistors to the chip versus soldering to the itty bitty little thingy...as you can heat it up to much and it falls off, then you have lots more moddin to do to get yer board working again. Be sure to either have a very small smd grabber, or a high power mag glass and steady hands as the legs on the ic to which you are soldering are uber tiny.

GL and happy moddin.

Swiftech
11-12-2003, 06:23 PM
How well is A7N8X in high FSB compared to 8RDA+ and NF7-S ?

Hell-Fire
11-12-2003, 10:01 PM
My understanding is that the NF7 is a better performer, which hurts to say as I own the A7N8X. However, people have also hit very high fsb action on the A7N8X, but it can take a little work of course. You need to do the mods and have proper cooling.

For example, after the vmods I added colling to the mosfets as they were really kicking out some heat. Also, all NF2 boards are sensitive memory wise. The little buggers are picky to say the least. At first I had Corsair in my board, crapped out..but now it is stable.

Given vmods, proper cooling, and good quality mem, I would wager the boards you listed above are all comparable to each other. Put it this way, many many people have hit insane fsb on all the boards. Depends on how far you wanna push your components. Are you willing to push up that vdd and vmem to get those fsb speeds.....are you willing to say buh-bye to your warranty (unless you are one bad ass solderer or use smd grabbers)....?

Vanrick
11-17-2003, 11:33 AM
I thought I took MORE pics, oh well, here are a few shots of the SMD grabbers on the mobo:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vcore.jpg

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vdimm.jpg

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/ground.jpg

Man very nice, where did you get those grabbers?:slobber:

Vanrick
11-17-2003, 12:02 PM

Lets see, you buy the SMD grabbers and the VR and you just attach the grabbers on the VR and a away you go? Correct me if Im wrong, I really need to do these mods.

Hell-Fire
11-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Well, almost that easy, be sure the VR is set to the correct resistence just to be safe.

Attach the grabber to the leg of the IC you wanna mod, then attach the grabber to the VR..dont forget your ground. :hehe:

Vanrick
11-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Hëll ‡ Fîrë
Well, almost that easy, be sure the VR is set to the correct resistence just to be safe.

Attach the grabber to the leg of the IC you wanna mod, then attach the grabber to the VR..dont forget your ground. :hehe:

Thnx a lot bro, if you dont mind can you possibly map me out a pic on the whole procedure. Advance thnx! :D Appreciate it :D

Hell-Fire
11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Check out www.maximumoc.com for a full write up including pics of all the vmods available for the A7N8X motherboard.

Click on "Guides and Articles" at the top which will take you to the "Guides" page. You will see a link for the A7N8X vmods in the middle of the page. It is very well written and easy to follow. The only difference is that instead of soldering the wire to the ICs you will be using the SMD Grabbers instead.

If you are still confused just reply back. ;)

taman
11-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Any body know where the vcore failsafe is set on A7N8X (rev 2.0) Series MOBO's is set at. I recently did the Vcore volt mod w//excellent results: FROM p95 Stable at 2.26ish to rock solid at 2.375 and still testing/pushing.

I've heard it is set at 2.1 but I get no shutdown at 2.15, have seen posts on other forums stating running Vcore at >2.2.

Where is it set(rougly) and does any when have a clue as to disabling or upping it.

Thanks in advance,

T

ATI Radeon 9500 PRO (w/warp11 BIOS)
Western Digital 80GB HD w/ 8MB cache (WD800JB), Aopen 48x12x50 CD-R/RW, Cisco Aironet 350 broadband connection Soundblaster Live Value
420W Thermaltake PSU w/ PFC.

Hell-Fire
11-21-2003, 11:58 PM
This is a prob that a few are working on now. I have upped mine to 2.15, she died loading windows, but me thinks that was a cooling issue versus any fail safe. We are mainly looking at the IC that you would do a VCore mod on: http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/betweenportsandcpu_labeled.jpg

The theory is possibly cutting one or 2 of those legs would get rid of any vcore limitation...but there is no definitive proof yet as no1 has tried it.

sysfailur
11-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by taman
Any body know where the vcore failsafe is set on A7N8X (rev 2.0) Series MOBO's is set at. I recently did the Vcore volt mod w//excellent results: FROM p95 Stable at 2.26ish to rock solid at 2.375 and still testing/pushing.

I've heard it is set at 2.1 but I get no shutdown at 2.15, have seen posts on other forums stating running Vcore at >2.2.

Where is it set(rougly) and does any when have a clue as to disabling or upping it.

There is a method that was developed by the finnish I believe that allows for 2.35... but the pictures were always too garbled to understand what the heck they were doing, and no one could get in contact with whoever took the pictures hehe... But dang 2.375... that's nice!

Holst
11-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Im still semi-confident that what I described here will work, although I havent had the oppotunity to test it out myself.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20943

Dieter@be
01-08-2004, 04:26 AM
Hey peepz.
About the Vcore measuring: I don't trusted my speedfan readings (1,79V atm) so I wondered where I could measure it myself. Offcourse the dots of solder un the underside are on the same voltage as the core. But I cant reach that atm.
So what I did, is measure it on the pin where I soldered the pot on (like I saw someone do a few pages back). It said 1,59V

So I dont think thats the right voltage either. (actually pretty logical if you know how a V-mod works :) )

I'll keep looking for a nice spot, or I'll just have to turn the mobo upside down...:rolleyes:

kleptophobiac
01-15-2004, 05:02 AM
What would 10k on the vdimm give me?

r3b0rN
02-19-2004, 09:23 PM
what does VR stand for and what VR will i use to do the vdimm mod? also, how much voltage will i be able to give vdimm after the vdimm mod?

Hell-Fire
02-19-2004, 09:37 PM
VR stands for Variable Resistor. Alot of people call them Pots, which is short for Potentiometer.

You should use a 15k VR or so for the Vdimm.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5167

You would be able to give it all you want pretty much.

Not sure where it stops at, but you would want to STOP before you hit it's max voltage ouput.

xbladex
02-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Hey guys justed done the mod to A7N8X-E Deluxe hope its the same mod well i put a 50k variable resister for the vcore and 20k for the vdimm but when i plug the earth in the fan header she wont boot take it off and it does any ideas would be appreciated

cheers

xbladex
02-24-2004, 04:54 AM
Worked it out guys prob was the core mod took it off vdimm is working fine so will have to have anoth go at it

Electroid
02-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Vcore IC:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~chedu/teamob/mobo/a7n8x/L6917BD.gif

VSEN mod?

I put 50k vr to 10. leg with no effect (also tryed ~ 30k). Mobo doesn't boot if vcore is over 2.15V (multimeter), but I can put over 2.16V (when windows is running) and run pifast/superpi.

(Bad English)

elec999
04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
I know I am kind of late. But will this mod work with Asus a7n8x-x.
Thanks

Malves
04-26-2005, 02:56 AM
If the layout of the board is the same, which I think it is, then yes.:) I think "-x" just means more features on the board, right?

PoL
07-13-2005, 02:32 AM
Can I do this mod to a A7N8X-E Deluxe?

Thanks! :)