PDA

View Full Version : My special patched Super PI version

craig588
01-29-2005, 08:41 AM
This version will give you the exact same scores as the regular patched super pi, but it has the title changed so people will know what version you are running. I was careful to ensure that it used the same amount of memory so your scores will not be affected, the patched calculation formula hasn't been modified either. This one will also use a seperate database so you can keep your patched PI times and your unpatched times seperate.

If there are any other patches people want to have a edited title for I will make titles for the different version. (EG: SSE2 patch, SSE3 patch, Prescott Patch and so on) The only patch I have is the generic Prescott one so that is what this version has.

Hopefully this will make both the anti-patch people and the pro-patch people happy.

agenda2005
01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Give us A64 patch with SSE and SSE2 optimized. Then we will have a level playing field. Did you write the code yourself. It's strange that your sig shows A64 and you spend more time on prescott patch.

craig588
01-29-2005, 05:24 PM
It's because I like the idea of the prescott patch, you get the same results in a shorter time, it's just like a tweak. The only reason people don't like it is because it can only benefit prescotts. I'm pretty sure there is only a prescott patch, but I asked in the topic post if there are any other patches that people want edited.

It's not coding, super pi isn't an open source program (If it is I wasted quite a bit of time :rolleyes: ), and I don't really want to give more information on how to edit it because people could edit it in more malicious ways to get cheated scores. I started giving information in a previous topic and charlie said to stop, but if he says it's ok than I will show people how to edit it. I really would like to, I like discussing reverse engineering.

I figure if people stop distributing the old version and delete it from their servers/HDs and only use the one with the title clearly labeled "Patched" than using the patched version won't be so much of a problem because it will be easy to see which one is getting used.

D_o_S
01-30-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm having problems running it. After I choose any calculations, it says the Microsoft thing about crashing and if I want to send a bug report, etc.

craig588
01-30-2005, 07:55 AM
What revision of prescott do you have? It worked fine on my C0 3.2GHz.

DoGMaN
01-30-2005, 09:25 AM
sorry but it's crap won't work here either ...

That is a little uncalled for.

Craig, it is giving me the same error as well, P4 and A64 dump. If you want to take a look at the error message let me know.

craig588
01-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Wait, are you guys running this on P4s and A64s? It's only for prescotts

DoGMaN
01-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Wait, are you guys running this on P4s and A64s? It's only for prescotts

LOL guess that explains why it doesn't work. I'll fire up my 540 and see :stick:

craig588
01-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Does it work?

kristos
01-31-2005, 05:45 AM
SSE2 patch and SSE3 patch would be more usefull imho since they are more general.

if you can make an SSE1 patch then things may finally be a bit more fair.

just as long as it says that one is running a patched version I have no problem with it :)

DoGMaN
01-31-2005, 05:53 AM
Does it work?

Sorry yah it ran on the 540. I forgot to grab a screen though. I will when I get home later.

alexio
01-31-2005, 06:28 AM
I cracked it allready, Hex Workshop does the job :(

craig588
01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
I really need to shell out some money for a real hex editor, Hex Workshop can automatically rearange pointer tables, compile code portions and automatically insert and redirect to them, right?

I remember writing Z80 ASM hacks, oh it was a nightmare doing it manually.

D_o_S
01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Oh, sorry, I thought that the SSE2 would work on AMD64. Nevermind then.

craig588
01-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Go check out my other one, it is just SSE2.

This one is SSE2 and 3.

alexio
01-31-2005, 12:39 PM
I really need to shell out some money for a real hex editor, Hex Workshop can automatically rearange pointer tables, compile code portions and automatically insert and redirect to them, right?

I remember writing Z80 ASM hacks, oh it was a nightmare doing it manually.

I don't know about the capabilities of Hex Workshop.
I just downloaded it, fired it up and did a quick compare between the normal Super Pi.exe and your modded one. I only needed to change 2 sections.
It was just as easy as writing this post, and it didn't took much longer too.

I'm not a programmer and I have zero experience but this thing was a peace off cake even for me with this program.

STEvil
02-14-2005, 12:46 AM
how about a new pi that lets us bench pi on each of the instructions etc?

Something like this

pi 1M no sse:
pi 1M sse:
pi 1M sse2:
pi 1M sse3:
pi 1M other(s)?:

DudeMiester
02-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Why don't you just write an entirely new program that uses the same calculation code as SuperPI, call it SuperPI+ or something. You can copy the calculation code directly into an asm block in C++ or something right? As long as that's the same then they should get identical results.