PDA

View Full Version : Case design: SHODAN 1.0

SHODAN
11-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Update #1: I realized that at the cost of a little added weight, I could extend the reservoir toward the front of the case, which will allow me to put a reservoir window on the front half. I figure since I can, I might as well leave the first one where it was. I've updated the top view image correspondingly, please let me know if you like it or not.

Update #2: I changed the window transparency to show more of the original image with less cropping.

Update #3: All the drive lights in the drawings changed to blue; minor color adjustments; plinth enlarged for stability and appearance.

Hello people, this is my first post at Xtreme Systems.

This is the case design I'm planning to build. I hope you appreciate it, 'cause this drawing alone took almost forever; I've been working on this design since summer.

Before I continue, I absolutely must mention one extraordinary phenomenon. I've been planning the SHODAN/SS case theme for some time, long before I ordered anything. When I ordered the Lian Li PC-65B I'll be mod'ing, my order was given number 2072. :eek: :eek: :eek: System Shock fans will understand the significance! A mere coincidence? I think not. There is no turning back now, it's destiny! ...What have I started? :slobber: :D

On the top of the case there will be a recessed handle. On either side and to the back of this handle, there will be a UV-CCFL lit water reservoir. For the uninitiated, the symbol on the front and top of the case is the Tri.Optimum logo, another System Shock reference; I'd put the top one at the front end of the case, but unless I can get more creative with it, the plumbing will be in the way. Originally I planned to have coolant flow down clear tubes on the corners, also UV lit, but that would require major surgery as the main frame members at the back of the case are in the way. I now plan to use solid acrylic rod with EL tape, though I may eventually do the full mod during my next mad spell. The image of SHODAN will be a back-lit transparency, probably with CCFLs as a large EL sheet is heinously expensive. The lower section that has been added to the case will house an Eheim 1250 and twin heater cores each with dual fans and shrouds.

(best viewed full-screen on black)
Front view:
http://209.15.18.147/shodan/shodan1.0-front.jpg

Top view:
http://209.15.18.147/shodan/shodan1.0-top.jpg

Side view:
http://209.15.18.147/shodan/shodan1.0-side.jpg

So what do you think of her? ;)

Any ideas on how I can improve the design that wouldn't be too hard to do?

Kurupt
11-20-2002, 01:02 PM
Thats looks very clean.. Cant wait to see that bad boy when its done.

Also Welcome to XS and I hope you enjoy your stay

pulverizer
11-20-2002, 01:05 PM
:slobber: Wow, that looks amazing. If it turns out like your plan, that will be one of the best looking cases I have ever seen. It will be really hard to make the flow go on the corners like you are planning, as you will have to destroy the stuctural element of the case to do it, although it seems you have planned for that by using acrilic tubing to act as the support on the corners. Good luck in building this, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

SHODAN
11-20-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Kurupt
Thats looks very clean.. Cant wait to see that bad boy when its done.

Also Welcome to XS and I hope you enjoy your stay

Thanks on both counts Kurupt. :thumbsup:
I'll remember to post pictures when (if?) I complete it.

SHODAN
11-20-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pulverizer
:slobber: Wow, that looks amazing. If it turns out like your plan, that will be one of the best looking cases I have ever seen.

Thank you very much pulverizer! I've worked hard on both the design and the drawing, and I was really hoping that people would like it. :banana:

It will be really hard to make the flow go on the corners like you are planning, as you will have to destroy the stuctural element of the case to do it, although it seems you have planned for that by using acrilic tubing to act as the support on the corners. Good luck in building this, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

As I said I will not be having the water flow down the corners at this point, rather I'll be using back-lit solid rods. I still hope to do that some day, but it's just too much destruction of an expensive case right now. If this one goes well, and if I have the desire and resources at that time, I'll start working on "SHODAN 2.0" which would be a case built from the ground up like the neat acrylic cases some people have built; it would not acrylic though, that's just an example of the construction method. The second rendition would include the working coolant tubes, with a special twist added. ;)

KnightElite
11-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Very nice. Definitely looking forward to seeing that bad boy when it's done.

SHODAN
11-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Update: I made a few changes to the drawings, the most visible being the "VB" logo at the top front. That's the "Von Braun" logo from System Shock 2. I also changed the HDD LED to orange. With the exception of a few minor changes, such changing all the green drive LEDs, this design is essentially finished unless someone has other suggestions.

SHODAN
11-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Very nice. Definitely looking forward to seeing that bad boy when it's done.

That's SHE, insect! ;)

KnightElite
11-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by SHODAN
That's SHE, insect! ;)

Bad girl then? ;)

SHODAN
11-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Bad girl then? ;)

:slap:

:thumbsup:

SHODAN
12-31-2002, 08:16 AM
Hello everybody,

I still haven't started building this case :mad: but I have made a couple of changes since the drawings posted up top. Let me know if you like the changes, or have any suggestions; I'm buying the parts today or tomorrow.

http://209.15.18.147/shodan/shodan1.0.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement!

"SHODAN"

Tweaked!
12-31-2002, 08:23 AM
That's looking sharp! When do you plan to start building it?

SHODAN
12-31-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
That's looking sharp! When do you plan to start building it?

Thanks!

I promised to buy and assemble a budget computer as a Christmas present for a first-time computer owner. The sooner I get that taken care of, the sooner I can get back to this project. I am really slow to get this sort of thing done: consider yourself warned! :D

Alexandrus
01-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Nice, very nice actually, but not easy to accomplish.