PDA

View Full Version : What order do I cool components?

Judaeus Apella
01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Just for the sake of it, lets say I want to cool everything I can with water, including the CPU, VGA, Mobo Chipset, and hard drive. In what order should I cool these components? Should I cool only two components at a time and cool the water in between them in 2 stages? Whats the best way to do this?

felinusz
01-25-2005, 06:15 PM
The best way, is the way that is both easiest and cleanest to route - the least amount of tubing, kink-free, leads to the best results.

The order makes no difference. It doesn't matter if your blocks are before, or after your radiators, or if your radiator is before or after your pump.

Judaeus Apella
01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, what Im thinking is this. If I send the water to the cpu, the mobo, the gpu, then the hard drive, by the time it reaches the drive, that water is going to be warmer than when it first started out. Would that actually cause the drive to overheat or raise its temp?

Der_KHAN
01-25-2005, 06:23 PM
i think the higher your flowrate the lesser it matters

Judaeus Apella
01-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Ah, ok. Well Im going to use this one:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HD09202&ast=&key=

So I guess I should be fine then. Cool. Thanks :)

Cool, get it? *rimshot*

MaxxxRacer
01-25-2005, 10:16 PM
That is a pretty decent pump.. Not all that powerful, but it will work just fine.. Having all of those components cooled, it will slow down the flow alot...

Unless you are running 15k rpm drives or raptors, I would suggest not cooling the hds.. they just dont need it. That is assuming you dont have them in a foam box with no airflow what so ever...

But i would go with the cpu>gpu>nb...

The order does matter, but its not horribly significant. if you want the maximum performance for your cpu then put it first, if you want to go for the highest gpu, then cool that first... the change in temp between the blocks will be very miniscule either way though..