PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Beta

hoodiejuggalo
01-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Didn't know if anyone noticed, but there was a beta of the new UI for download from Microsoft. It's called Avalon, downloading it as we speak.

Sorry if this was already known, you can delete this if so.

Here's the link if you're interested. Avalon Beta (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?FamilyID=c8f904e1-b4ca-402b-accf-aaa2bd60da74&displaylang=en)

By the way, this is the interface we'll be seeing in Longhorn for those out there in Windows land; so if you got some time and good internet connection (file is 200+ mb), go for it! Let's see what people think.

hoodiejuggalo
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, tried it out, I honestly don't know what changed or if it'll improve anything, I was hoping we would get a little 3D preview or something. Maybe I'm not doing something right, I mean it said I would need a DirectX 9 card, wouldn't that call for a little 3D action? I don't know, maybe someone can help me out here.

Disposibleteen
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
ill downlaod it tongiht when everyone else goes to bed (so my connection is 100% of the bandwidth and it is uninteruptable) and tell you what i think...

Jayfaas
02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
how come its takin so long for longhorn to come out!

Alec
02-02-2005, 03:52 AM
how come its takin so long for longhorn to come out!
There are alot of new parts to reprogram.
They are scrapping the old directX engine and making a new one; They have also got to build their new file system (WinFS).

You can download leaked betas from FTP sites but I wont post the links on here... Please PM or email me if you want to download them...

Thanks,
Alec

Disposibleteen
02-02-2005, 04:17 AM
There are alot of new parts to reprogram.
They are scrapping the old directX engine and making a new one; They have also got to build their new file system (WinFS).

You can download leaked betas from FTP sites but I wont post the links on here... Please PM or email me if you want to download them...

Thanks,
Alec
i dont believe they are reprogramming anything, i think this is a whole new build, this would also take alot of time becuase they have to build from the ground up.

Alec
02-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeha alot of new stuff but I think they are basing it on the architecture of windows XP (like windows 2000 was based on the architecture of windows NT).

Still loads to model but it will be awsome when it finally is released.

Crankster
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
WinFS won't be in longhorn.

kryptobs2000
02-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Didn't know what to do with this, dled it installed it, what now?

I'm betting WinFS will suck too :rolleyes: ntfs and fat16/32 did

Disposibleteen
02-03-2005, 06:44 AM
WinFS won't be in longhorn.
i thought it wouldnt be in the first release but in a later one, winfs whould kick butt tho, instant hdd searching, that will help out those of us who have huge hardrive arrays...

triangle
04-28-2006, 11:21 PM
WinFs is imho a really interesting one filesystem. If you wish to find more info on it I recommend visiting http://www.ntfs.com/ I've found out much useful info there.

masterofpuppets
04-29-2006, 03:40 AM
WinFs is imho a really interesting one filesystem. If you wish to find more info on it I recommend visiting http://www.ntfs.com/ I've found out much useful info there.
Way to threadbump noob. :stick: