PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, stop error. some help please?

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Ok, a bit of background. I just flashed my bios to the 1011.001 beta build because 1010 reads temps like a monkey can read shakespeare. So I flash it using the ASUS updater (does it all from within windows, and verifies it, so didn't misflash). I reboot. And then I get a "Cannot access kernel" or something along those lines when I try and load trillian. Winamp loads fine, but not trillian. Then, after 5 minutes, windows goes to a blue screen, and I go "ยงยงยงยง." So I try a reboot, and I get a stop error and it reads "Inaccessible boot device." I've checked online for fixes (no luck), checked the microsoft knowledge database (no knowledge for me), and the ASUS website holds no answers either. So any help would be much abliged.

Tweaked!
11-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Clearing the cmos didn't help????

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 07:06 PM
how would i go about doing that? because if flashing in a new bios doesn't do it, then i haven't done it. never had to deal with this kind of problem before.

*edit* Ok, searched on it in the forums here. Clearing the cmos just requires me to remove the battery? And if so, is it the somewhat large, flat one?

Tweaked!
11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
actually, there should be a jumper near the battery. All you have to do is move the jumper from 1-2 pins to 2-3 pins. Leave it there for about ten seconds or so (all this with the computer turned off) and then put them back. Then restart the computer, go into the bios and make sure all the proper boot devices are selected, then see if you can boot into windows. Good luck.:D

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Nope, no dice on the clearing of the cmos :( And to make matters worse, I'm writing this from a Mac (damn comp labs :(). Talk about salt on open wounds. But yeah, no dice. This is happening not at start up, but durring the windows boot screen. I think my kernel is more f*cked than Janet Jackson. Anything i could do short of reinstalling windows? or should I just say f*ck it and reinstall windows?

BTW, thanks for your help and timely responses tweaked :)

IFMU
11-19-2002, 07:33 PM
I would say to do a re-install.
Its sounding like there is something that was changed somewhere when the flash went through. Which is causing Windows errors.

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 07:36 PM
ok, reinstall here i come...

this will make it 4 times now this school year i've installed windows, yay.

IFMU
11-19-2002, 07:38 PM
4 times? Is that all?
Thats lite wieght. I typically have to format at least once every 3 months.
I really need to stop playing with so many programs!!~!! LoL

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 07:52 PM
I would reformat more often, but I keep having to "borrow" a CD from somebody ;) And I am still burning all of my mp3s to CD, and I don't feel like losing 1000 of them (3300+ right now). I'm a bit paranoid about that because I lost 5000+ last time when my computer completely seized on me. And that statement of 4 was just a modest estimate, it may have been more, but I was running on 0 sleep in 48 hours that night. :banana: but yeah, time to get back to fixing windows, ugh.

*edit* PS, this school "year" is only 5 months in :p

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Well, it seems I have to reformat, not just reinstall. It woud appear that my windows installation itself was corrupted, as it was unidentifiable by the install CD.:bsod:

Kurrurrin
11-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Rarg, now NTLDR is missing. Same thing happened when I first built this thing. Got a couple fixes, but I def. need a new harddrive. :-/ pos

*Edit* Ok, first fix worked. So if anyone ever searches for an NTLDR missing fix, here it is:

Boot to CD, go to recovery console. When there, type: copy drive:\i386\ntldr

copy drive:\i386\ntdetect.com

then reboot.

drive is the drive name your CD is in. I hope this helps someone eventually :)