PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on christmas gift

Tweaked!
11-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Ok guys, 1st off, I'm not all that much into console style gaming, more into pc gaming. The wife and I have decided to get the boys a console for xmas. We think we've narrowed it down to the X-box. Wally world even has a decent deal for $199.00 for the console, one controller, and two games (sega gt 2002 and jetset radio feature :confused: ). But we're kinda curious about a couple things.
How does this thing conect online. It says it connects via broadband (which I've got), does it have a rj45 connection? Or do I need to buy an extra proprietary connector?
Says it plays dvd's, right out of the box? Or again, is there another proprietary connector for that?
In other words, I'm just looking for some general feedback, what to expect in extra costs (other than the games), how does it connect to a tv?
Appreciate any and all input here:D

pulverizer
11-19-2002, 10:06 PM
It has a RJ45 connector built in, you dont have to buy anything.
For the DVD player, I am pretty sure you have to buy the remote for it to actually play DVDs, but I am not 100% on that. Ans far as connecting to TV, it uses standard AV cables. If you want, you can buy another connector set for $20 that gives you S-Video and composite output, if you need that. I hope this helps you some.

pulverizer
11-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Here is more specific info for you. It comes with the stardard AV cable to connect to TV though, and you do need the DVD remote kit to play DVDs.

Connection Devices & Add-Ons

High Definition AV Pack: This pack connects users that have high-definition ready TVs that support 480p 720p and 1080f component video signals, analog inputs and / or digital receivers.

Memory Unit: Serving as a solution for needed extra storage space.

Advanced AV Pack: Works with S-Video and AV input TVs

RF Adapter: Connects the Xbox to TVs without audio and video connections

Standard AV Cable: Connects the Xbox to TVs equipped with audio and video input terminals. Included with the Xbox.

System Link Cable: A cable for connecting two consoles for 8 player gameplay

DVD Kit: A Kit is required for DVD Movie playback, the kit includes an infa red receiver and a remote.

JBELL
11-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
Ok guys, 1st off, I'm not all that much into console style gaming, more into pc gaming. The wife and I have decided to get the boys a console for xmas. We think we've narrowed it down to the X-box. Wally world even has a decent deal for $199.00 for the console, one controller, and two games (sega gt 2002 and jetset radio feature :confused: ). But we're kinda curious about a couple things.
How does this thing conect online. It says it connects via broadband (which I've got), does it have a rj45 connection? Or do I need to buy an extra proprietary connector?
Says it plays dvd's, right out of the box? Or again, is there another proprietary connector for that?
In other words, I'm just looking for some general feedback, what to expect in extra costs (other than the games), how does it connect to a tv?
Appreciate any and all input here:D

XBOX is great choice as I bought that exact same bundle - you will want to get HALO with it....

the rj-45 is built into the back of it and to play online you will need a router so you can control ports 6500 and 6700 to use game spy (www.gamespy.com) to connect to the XBOX tunnel.

DVD playback DOES require remote control and optical reciever...

it conects to the tv through standard rca jacks.. you can go with the monster cable s-video but it is NOT necessary.

bundle pack = $199.99

halo = $30 bucks - on sale

x-tra control (type S is only way to go) = $30

25 foot patch cord = $15 at frys electronics

hope that helps

Tweaked!
11-20-2002, 03:28 AM
Cool, thanks a bunch guys. Please excuse the newbiness, I'm not much into console gaming since computers have come as far as they have... Both of you have been extremely helpful:)
J, does the Gamespy require a bought membership?

JBELL
11-20-2002, 09:23 AM
gamespy si free but has commecials membership can be bought for $20

Tweaked!
11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Did you buy the membership, or are the adds tolerable (at least for kids)? Thanx J :D

JBELL
11-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Ads are annoying but tolerable - they are not pop-up but part of the program andfor the most part very much so ignorable.

Tweaked!
11-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Well, We got the Xbox. Went with the deal for $199.00. Also got a $40.00 off coupon towards it with the purchase of the steering wheel setup. Didn't do bad at all, I think:) Thing is heavy though. Can't wait till xmas, I know they're gonna love it:D

JBELL
11-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, We got the Xbox. Went with the deal for $199.00. Also got a $40.00 off coupon towards it with the purchase of the steering wheel setup. Didn't do bad at all, I think:) Thing is heavy though. Can't wait till xmas, I know they're gonna love it:D

console = 7 pounds .... and I think you will love it more tweaked hehehe

I made a list for xmas game shopping i hope helps you....

Tweaked!
11-23-2002, 09:02 PM
I'll definitely be getting the "Halo". After as much as you've talked it up, I'm going to have to try it;)
Does that thing use regular cat5e cable? or a special patch cord?
I'm going to go browse your shopping list now:)

Thanx Jbell:D

JBELL
11-23-2002, 09:21 PM
cat5 is fine but I went and got cat5e to run xbox -->router

then cat6 for the router to --> modem line......

Smizack
11-23-2002, 10:14 PM
Hey you need to hook a brota up with a bit of cat6!;)

And I got halo finally. You ready to go down like Kurupt??:D

Tweaked!
11-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Scheeet boyee, He done called jou out....:D

Smizack
11-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Scheeet boyee, He done called jou out....:D

It's aight tho..

Psssht! He's gonna go down like a 2 dolla crack ho!:D :D

Tweaked!
11-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
It's aight tho..

He'd do that anyways, just ask... ;):D

JBELL
11-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Hey you need to hook a brota up with a bit of cat6!;)

And I got halo finally. You ready to go down like Kurupt??:D

keep dreaming and the gaming action is at ghost recon & xbox live foo!!

my gamespy tag is ''badmonkey''

bring it!!

JBELL
11-23-2002, 11:34 PM
It's aight tho..

...like yo' mom?? :smileysex :stick:

JBELL
11-23-2002, 11:34 PM

ouch .. where's the love

Johnny Knoxvill
11-25-2002, 11:29 AM
get your wife some stuff from the victoria's secrete catalogue ;) ;)

Smizack
11-25-2002, 03:03 PM

LOL

Owned!:D :D

Smizack
11-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
keep dreaming and the gaming action is at ghost recon & xbox live foo!!

my gamespy tag is ''badmonkey''

bring it!!

What? no no.. I got halo. Get yo ass on there! heh.

Gamespy? watchutalkingbout Willis??:confused:

JBELL
11-26-2002, 12:10 AM
you need the arcade to run HALO online ..

www.gamespy.com

download the arcade program and then get the xbox tunnel patch.

Tweaked!
11-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
you need the arcade to run HALO online ..

www.gamespy.com

download the arcade program and then get the xbox tunnel patch.

So does it have to go through the computer to get online? Or does the console connect and download the patch? I'm so confused...:confused:

Smizack
11-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Eh... I'm confuesd too... Please splain it slowly J.:D

JBELL
11-27-2002, 01:57 PM
Eh... I'm confuesd too... Please splain it slowly J.:D

I will be writing an article on how to do this....

Gimme a few days.