PDA

View Full Version : No GB7

Tony
11-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Looks like Abit have pulled out of Granite bay...shame as i know that would have been an awesome board:(

*foo
11-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Where did you read that?

DaGooch
11-19-2002, 04:03 PM
Please tell me this isn't so. :(

Tony
11-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Over at Hexus...it seems they pulled the plug on it.

www.Hexus.net

worthless
11-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Hexus later updated to say that it's still up in the air, and the board might come out if there is enough demand... Also, in this (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1751) Anandtech comdex article, they talk briefly about seeing the GB7, and mention they'll have a review of it within the next couple weeks... hopefully that means it still has a good chance of coming out.

There was a thread about this at your favorite [h]ardware site... I'll repost what I said there for the benefit of the banned and boycotting...

Abit has stated recently that they plan on refocusing their efforts towards the high end enthusiast/server market exclusively. If that is the case, them not releasing the GB7, yet going ahead with the SIS boards, would be totally contradictory to their new direction.

They state that with springdale around the corner, GB would be short-lived... but springdale isn't expected till april or may (according to anandtech), and it could very well be later if AMD doesn't get competitive before then... so we are looking at a good 5 or 6 months at least until the next big enthusiast chipset (intel chipset I should say) comes out. 6 months isn't all that short-lived in this industry.

The i850 is pretty much dead, and the SIS and VIA boards aren't exactly the "enthusiasts" cup of tea, so Abit might be making a big mistake if they skip the GB7. They will have no big top-of-the-line board until springdale, and the enthusiast community, which has supported them for years, will be forced to find a new home... Reputation is an important and volatile thing in the enthusiast market, and once your name is out of rotation for 6 months, it can be hard gaining it back.

I'm not giving up hope yet...

wicktron
11-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Anandtech says there will be a review in a few weeks. I'd trust Anand before Hexus.