PDA

View Full Version : Abit 845PE and the Quest for 3 ghz

AuxNuke
11-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Well after reading everything that has come out about GB over the last few days, and getting caught in the middle of the [H] debaticle... I have a bunch of lingering questions about the system I am about to build. Now that im not going with the 3.06ghz w/ HT or GB... here are the important parts of my soon to be specs in hopes of reaching 3ghz.

Abit IT7 Max2 2.0
P4 2.4B C1
Alpha PAL8094 w/ 68 cfm adjustable YS Tech
1 gb Geil PC3500 (2x 512mb sticks)

Questions:
1) Will the 1gb of Geil PC3500 be able to reach 209mhz at the lowest cas settings? (18 x 167fsb = 3006mhz using 3/4 divider on memory)
2) Does the IT7 Max2 2.0 have the option to lock agp/pci bus?
3) Will I need to do any Ram voltage mods because of the 1gb of Memory?(I am already planning the pin trick for cpu voltage)
4) Is there enough room for the Alpha to fit properly on the IT7?

Thank you so much in advance for any answers, advice, or opinions.

Aux

Jupiler
11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
First of all :
Welcome to Xtreme :banana:

1. should be possible, depending on which board you're gonna buy, and how good the modules are.

2.yes. have the board myself. There's a thread about the IT7 v2.0. You might wanna check it out.

3. depends if you want to. I have a modded C7 bios for the Max 2 v2.0, which will allow memory voltages up to 3.2V. (link for DL is in the same thread)

4. there's enough room around the socket, big heatsinks should be no problem.

Mentaly
11-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi

Well im with Jupiler all the way, I find it a real nice board, and all your goals should be in reach with this board im running 3gigs with a 2.4b B0, with a Dangerden Water cooling setup(CPU, GFX, Northbridge). Follow the other thread on the IT7 MAX2 REV2

Ps: Ups and WELCOME TO EXTREME :-)

Menty

AuxNuke
11-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Would anyone reccomend the Corsair PC3500 instead of the Geil? I have had great luck with their XMS PC2700 in an old 8KHA+ before. Also, how is the stability of C1 chips @ or over 3ghz with just air cooling?

Again, thank you.

Aux

PS: Thanx for the warm wlecome! Seems as though i've found my new home.

subscience
11-19-2002, 03:00 PM
From what I've read, many people have mixed feelings about Geil RAM: It's either stellar, or doesn't meet expectations. As trite as this sounds, Corsair is the way to go. However, with the new Kingston 3200 and 3500 modules around the corner, it might be in your best interested to check those out.

Also, using the Swiftech MXC4000 heat sink on an IT-7 renders the two fan headers nearest to the socket useless. The heat sink manages to block them off just enough so you can't fit the plug in. Just a little heads up for you.

Also, if you do get the MXC4000 with the YS Tech TMD fan, you don't want to plug it into the motherboard fan header anyway. Lots of people have had burnt out motherboard fan headers / dead CPU's that way.

Good luck!

sub.

AuxNuke
11-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Yeah I read about probs with the Swifty.. that's why Im using the Alpha. In fact I already have that part of the system from my old rig. Hopefully it will fit!

AuxNuke
11-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Well... I just got a call from Fed-Ex saying all of my stuff is in! I will set it up and let everyone know how she works out.

Aux