PDA

View Full Version : Pelt vs Pelt + chilled water

LardArse
11-19-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi guys. I'm planning to use a 65 watt peltier beside a 172 watt peltier on an 2000+ Tbred. I have no problems taking care of the hot side with radiators but I'm thinking of using chilled water. However, I'm having a hard time trying to get a good deal on an old fridge, and those bar fridges suck. Over a hundred bucks just to get an extremely old fridge which may or may not be suitable :( Just wanna know the overclock difference I would get between chilled and non-chilled water. Maybe 34C water vs 10C water. Most of you guys are using chillers I know so you guys should have some answers :cool:
Another thing, how near is the Epox Nforce2 board? I'm going crazy just waiting for a good overclocking NF2 board! If its too far away, I might just pick up the Asus board, but I was wondering how well the Asus overclocks (FSB wise) and how tweakable it is.
Lastly, I read almost 30 pages of JC's thread and I wanna let you guys know I'm not going back to Hardforums anymore, even though I started visiting it since before Steve joined the team. :)

wymjym
11-19-2002, 09:54 AM
well,
I like the thought of grabbing a drink while I'm chilling my rig, Keeper did it for $25

look here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=57028#post57028)
I took a different approach here (http://westech.home.mindspring.com/chiller/mychiller.htm) .

I don't want to think about condensation so I hoover around <8~10 of ambient air. At that temp I gain about 150mhz of totally stable overclock...that is 150 more than running ambient water (80 degrees normally).The only justification is that I can do it, I did do it and it was enjoyable doing it.
wj

Player0
11-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey LA,

I'm hoping to find the same thing out. I have a MCW462-UHT with 226w peltier mounted on the CPU, and four 172w peltiers chilling the water going to that block. At 70% power on the 172w peltiers, with no CPU load, I have 15c cold water temperatures, and cold plate temperatures of well well below zero (unable to determine, DigiDoc doesn't go under 0). Im thinking -20 or more no load.

Not sure how this will look when I raise the pelts up to 100% power and I put the 2800+ in (later this week I hope). But using chilled water with a peltier on the CPU should at least make a 30c temperature difference, which in terms of overclocking is pretty substantial. Plus you can use that chilled water to cool your GPU, RAM, etc. And if you make a peltier chiller, you can fit it all in one (albeit large) case.

But yeah, i think its worth it :)

LardArse
11-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Thanks for your replies. Chiller wise I would be going phase-change if I can get suitable stuff. At the very least I'll have something like a 230 watt peltier on the CPU. And I would need a pretty damn powerful chiller as well with the heat from 3 pelts as my GPU is pelt-cooled too. I'm just waiting to get my new board before starting all over on the board. Problem is I just dunno which board to get!

Torinalth
11-19-2002, 12:43 PM
intel or AMD.... ask in the OC forum.

EDIT: I'm a moron. 1700+... right... well, off the crack. hit the guys in the OC forum, tell em what yer doing in short and watch the responces fly in. I'm not an AMD person any longer or I'd advise from my knowledge.

EDIT: 2000+... right, I'm going home.

Torinalth