PDA

View Full Version : news: trojan infested windows media files

Maelstrom2160
01-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Trojan WMVs download a dictionary of spyware 9:27AM
Microsoft's rights management technology is already being sussed out by hackers, and the result is a pair of wmv files that instead of downloading licences to validate them, download a dictionary of spyware.

PandaLabs says it has picked up copies of WmvDownloader.A and WmvDownloader.B. The files are in fact Trojan viruses and, with their .wmv file format, will trigger Windows Media Player into thinking they are the Windows Media video format.

If a user plays the file, Windows Media Player will see that it has to licence attached and will look out on the Internet for one.

However, rather than download a licence, the search is redirected to sites that subsequently download a host of seven adware components, a couple of diallers, three spyware programs and another downloader virus.

PandLabs says it has seen most of these copies out on peer-to-peer networks, but warns that there is nothing preventing them turning up in email attachments or burned to a CD.

Ironically, those at risk are Windows XP users with Service Pack 2 installed and the latest version of WIndows Media Player - version 10.

However, most antivirus companies began offering protection against these viruses around 5 January, so users with up to date protection should be safe.

story via http://www.computershopper.co.uk/?news/news_story.php?id=67985

bxa121
01-18-2005, 11:42 AM
i use avg free edition as my norton antivirus subscription ended subscrption.
plus i use regprot.
its a small programme that stops things being added to your registry with out you knowing. good program