PDA

View Full Version : Heatkiller Rev. 2.0 GPU

Ricarus
01-17-2005, 03:04 AM
What do you guys think of this GPU cooler?

Here's a test with some nice pics

http://www.hw-center.com/Scripte/Artikel/sartikel.php?id=154&test=47

http://www.hw-center.com/Artikel/cooling/heatkiller2/10.jpg

http://www.hw-center.com/Artikel/cooling/heatkiller2/3.jpg

MaxxxRacer
01-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Looking good. It looks like the design of the silverprop fusion. I think that will perform very well. I checked out the link u gave. gotta love the tubing job they did on it. I've never seen a more restricvie 3 inches of tubing and barbs in my entire life.

DaGoof
01-17-2005, 04:47 AM
VERY Similar to the silverprop. Like maxx said, should perform well.

Ricarus
01-17-2005, 05:17 AM
It also reminded me of the Fusion, which is good a thing

And about that tubing, that is indeed verry bad... The germans don't seem to care much about flow :rolleyes:

http://www.hw-center.com/Artikel/cooling/heatkiller2/14.jpg

Arkangyl
01-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Does anyone know how much the small tubing and elbows really hurt temps though? I can't really imagine it being more than 2-3c

quicksilverXP
01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Yeah... doesn't hurt that much...especially for a GPU block..

nikhsub1
01-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Not sure I like how the mounting bracket comes into contact with the water... what material is that bracket? SS? Al?

EnJoY
01-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Where can we Americans by this block? ;)

MaxxxRacer
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
nik, the braket is SS from what i can tell. Alluminum doesnt look like that from my experiences.

Quote from the website translated with google..

" high-quality high-grade steel"

EnJoY
01-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Where can we Americans by this block? ;)

Yes, I too am interested to know that. ;)

nikhsub1
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
nik, the braket is SS from what i can tell. Alluminum doesnt look like that from my experiences.

Quote from the website translated with google..

" high-quality high-grade steel"
The type of SS is very important here, some SS is fine, like found in the D4's, others are not so fine... I know I'm nitpicking, but I'll be damned if I have any corrosion in my loop...

MaxxxRacer
01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I know what u mean. I somehow doubt its ultra high quality steel. They didnt specifially say it was SS.

Ricarus
01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
In german it says something like "edelstahl"

Die Halterung besteht aus hochwertigem Edelstahl und macht einen sehr stabilen Eindruck

I don't know the exact translation to english, but I guess it's good...

mustrum
01-19-2005, 10:44 AM
In german it says something like "edelstahl"

I don't know the exact translation to english, but I guess it's good...
Edelstahl = stainless steel. Don't worry bout it. ;)

MaxxxRacer
01-19-2005, 12:19 PM
ahh thanks for the info.. soudns good. but as nik said there are different types of SS. i have no knowledge of SS metals, as I ahve only dealt with al and ti.

nikhsub1
01-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Edelstahl = stainless steel. Don't worry bout it. ;)
yeah yeah yeah, I've heard that before.

"There are five main types of stainless steel: ferritic, martensitic, austenitic, precipitation hardening and duplex."

"Corrosion resistance of stainless steels is a function not only of composition, but also of heat treatment, surface condition, and fabrication procedures, all of which may change the thermodynamic activity of the surface and thus dramatically affect the corrosion resistance. It is not necessary to chemically treat stainless steels to achieve passivity. The passive film forms spontaneously in the presence of oxygen. Most frequently, when steels are treated to improve passivity (passivation treatment), surface contaminants are removed by pickling to allow the passive film to reform in air, which it does almost immediately. Most of the ferritic and martensitic stainless steels have limited corrosion resistance in marine environments, but some of the newly developed ferritic grade s (often called “superferritics”) have excellent marine corrosion resistance and are widely used in applications such as tubes for power plant condensers." From: http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corrstainsteel.htm

From one source, there are many more. Again, the TYPE of SS matters here.

MaxxxRacer
01-19-2005, 04:26 PM
ok smarty pants... Well it seems we need to get this steel mount out of the block. possibly a silghtly thicker copper mount would do the trick.

STEvil
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
or titanium

MaxxxRacer
01-20-2005, 01:31 PM
yah that is true, but you have to have special cnc machine to be able to cut titanium. normal steel bits wont cut it.

But i am pretty sure that titanium would do the trick. as far as i know it isnt reactive to water, and copper.

[XC] mysticmerlin
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
bringing this back to life. Does anyone have a link for a US place to buy one? I have googled for an hour and no dice.
Thinking chiller gpu blocks. (blocks as in sli) will 2 of them fit in sli on a Ultra-D ? anyone have 2 on that way?

eXa
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
looks pretty restriktive... ill stick too mcw60.
and lol, that is really awful tubing, i hate those connections

Radical_53
07-29-2006, 01:13 AM
The connections are awful, but the block is way less restrictive than it might look. It has large channels and a very solid design.
Restriction is even lower than of competitors such as EK...

Btw., if you get it as GPU-X version with the attached RAM cooling, there's no stainless steel touching the water. All pure copper.

PS: Like it better with some real fittings? :d

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Radical_53/IMG_2506rs.jpg

creidiki
07-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Yeah, the GPU-X is a sexy block.

andersson.j
07-29-2006, 07:37 AM
I love the all copper design, it's even nicer than my Fusions!

@ Radical_53: Beautiful picture!

Clay
07-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Thx "Ricarus" for pointing it out. Thx "Radical" for the pic with nicer fittings.9The other way looked pretty bad LOL)
Does the ram heat collector thing actually work?

Radical_53
07-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, it does work. They all do somehow.

I did a test, like half a year ago. Passive sinks, Alpha aluminium ones, gave me temps of roughly 50°C on a X1800XT fully clocked. All water solutions, if it was aluminium with paste, copper with paste or copper with pads gave me around a 10° drop. Good thing about this design is that the RAM cooling doesn't really restrict flow as it doesn't require longer channels on the block.