PDA

View Full Version : MSI K7D MASTER Vdimm Mod

Ace-a-Rue
11-18-2002, 08:43 PM
WARNING....TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK. DOING THIS MOD VOIDS ALL WARRANTIES!

Ok guys, I found how to increase Vdimm beyond 2.5V. Finally got the courage to explore this system owned and operated by "She who must be obeyed"!:D hehehehe

I think everyone knows the 'how to' for the Vcore, which quite honestly will take care of most people's needs. But if you think things aren't stable enough, then this mod will make this duallie m/b work flawlessly. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have very good memory. I am now using a single 512 mb stick of TwinMos Non-ECC, unbuffered.

PARTS NEEDED
http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/PARTS%20NEEDED.jpg

VDIMM MOD
I used a 47K Radio Shack pot with a SMD grabber. I attached the grabber to the 2nd leg on the same side that the AGP slot is on. The picture (below) shows the proximity of the regulator to the DIMM slots and 2 small Mosfets, and the 12V Intel plug. Then just south of the 12V plug is the AGP card. Yup, the VC card is only 32mb so it is not a monster card.

You will solder your 22 or 24 gauge multi-strand wire to the SMD grabber. The other end of this wire will be soldered to the middle lug of the 47K pot. Depending on what direction you want to turn the pot to decrease resistance (this will increase Vdimm) will determine which outer lug you will use to solder the ground wire. It is best to check the resistance first and then set it to the maximum resistance. WARNING, REMEMBER WHICH DIRECTION INCREASES RESISTANCE (reduces voltage), IN FACT, DIAGRAM IT ON PAPER SO YOU DON'T FORGET!

After soldering your ground wire to either outer lug, it will determine which way you set the resistance to maximum. On the other end of the ground wire, attach an electrical grommet that allows you to insert a fastener to ground to the case or motherboard.

To attach the SMD grabber to the 2nd leg/pin, you will push on the SMD plunger head to extend two very tiny claw type copper feet. You just extend it enough to slide the two claw feet around leg/pin 2 and then release the SMD plunger head slowly so it can grasp on to the leg/pin. The approach to the pin should be around 45 degree angle. Coming straight down or straight in horizontally will make it harder to grasp.

http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/k7d_Regulator.jpg

MEASURING VDIMM
You can do this from the bios but I found the accuracy of the reading in doubt so I went to the 2nd Mosfet (pic below) and measured the leg closest to the green capacitor. My reading showed the bios reading low by as much as minus .08V. But, you have to be careful here not to slip with the probe and short out the regulator. Most times when that happens it is for a split second; you just lose the video. One thing you could do to avoid shorting out the Mosfet is to use a single wire attached to a SMD grabber. Attach the grabber to that Mosfet leg and then use electrical tape or cap the end of the wire when not setting/measuring the voltage.

http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/k7d_mosfet.jpg

EDIT: When you are ready to lower the resistance of the pot, turn it very, very slowly. If you turn it to fast, you could lose the video momentarily. Usually a reset or power off/on will correct it.

EDIT NO.2: "If you cannot go above 2.75V for Vdimm with a 47K Radio Shack pot, then switch out to a 10K RS pot to allow for further Vdimm increases."

MY OTHER VMODS
IWILL P4R533-N VCORE & VRIMM MODs (http://www.thenakedreview.com/index.php?p=showarticle&id=80)

ASUS P4T533 VRIMM MOD (http://www.thenakedreview.com/index.php?p=showarticle&id=82&showpage=3)

Tweaked!
11-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Good read Ace-a-rue. Very well explained. :):toast:

Ace-a-Rue
11-19-2002, 04:38 PM
Thank you Tweaked!:):toast: I've learned from reading other author's Vmods about the little items that need to be explained. So often, we believe the reader understands the flow and sometimes that doesn't happen.

muzz
11-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Good to see you again Ace.......... I used to chat a bit with ya on the Shuttle forum at AMDMB.

Ace-a-Rue
11-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Howdy Muzz!:toast: I still have my AK-31 in the closet. I did the Pilsy mod but it just would not make that baby stable above 162 FSB. Could have been the memory wasn't up for it. I am sure tempted to pull that out and put something in it and then try my TwinMos 5NS memory. That is some good stuff!:cool:

muzz
11-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Yeah it's been awhile bro, I'm getting ready to upgrade this old biatch........... I THINK I'm going Epox 8RDA+ ( nforce2 ya know ;) ), I was looking into the Abit model, but they did away with the HSF holes on their version, I have a maze2, and obviously would not give it up for that board, I will finally be able to utilize this skr. I could make up a bracket with some lil steel strips and some nutz/bolts , but not sure I wanna do that. Gonna happen soon though. I'm going to pickup some xms 3500 to go with it ( 2x256 ). Should be fun. :banana: :banana::toast:

Ace-a-Rue
11-19-2002, 09:56 PM
DON'T BUY CORSAIR XMS 3500 unless it is their newest update ram. They apparently just made an announcement about making it CAS 2 and 7-2-2. I would recommend TwinMos PC3200 which is 5NS chips. I can put you in contact with a USA dealer who will guarantee it to your satisfaction....let me know if you want the link.

muzz
11-22-2002, 10:31 PM
I never saw your reply, sorry bro. As a matter of fact I am waiting on the board, but in the meantime I'm picking up either the 2600+ or the new ram, as a matter of fact I'm on newegg right now getting ready to buy.... suggest away my friend.

Edit: As a matter of fact the only reason I saw that you wrote anything back to me was because I'm trying to find a post/discussion where someone mentioned that Nv was getting ram made specifically for their boards..... or something like that. I can't find it. Pretty difficult when the search word is memory.......;)

EE: I saw your post and at the naked review, and got the URL .... I've been to that site b4, didn't notice the TM. It's 3200, but with winbond -5 ns chips, which I believe the XMS3500 has also - must be hand picked huh? lol
BTW I didn't buy any ram, or the 2600 ........, always later today though :D :D

Ace-a-Rue
11-23-2002, 08:07 AM
I'll PM you with the TwinMos link. I did hear that twinMos is raising there price. TwinMos does not have any heat spreaders, which I like becasue the spreaders actually trap more heat than they dissipate.