PDA

View Full Version : Inaccessible boot device?

wr0x2
01-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Recently I had to reset my bios due to a ram error. This is nothing new, but this is the first time I had reset it after my new install of 2k pro onto my new 160gb sata drive. When I try to boot my windows partition on that drive (all my others on regular IDE drives work) I get a blue screen with the error "boot device inaccessible" at the top. It further suggests me to "remove all new hard disks and hard disk controllers"

Anyway I can fix this, or do I have to reformat and reinstall? This is my main workstation, so if anyone can help me quickly it would be appreciated.

:banana4:

jjcom
01-14-2005, 08:12 PM
maybe you could install some OS on an IDE drive, then acess the Sata drive and get what you need off of it?

jjcom

wr0x2
01-15-2005, 07:35 AM
I have 3 other OS's installed on the two IDE drives ;). I guess I'll just have to do a reinstall onto the sata..

wr0x2
01-15-2005, 08:47 AM
All right, I got it resolved.

Here's what I did, in case someone else here finds themselves in the same situation:

Boot win2k install cd and press f6 at beginning
load SATA drivers
choose to repair the windows installation in question (replaces all system files but leaves other stuff intact)

And that was it.

bxa121
01-15-2005, 08:49 AM
download the gnoppix live distribution (its free)
its a cd image
yoiu burn the cd image onto cd and you boot from there!
you can acess your HDs from it too

jjcom
01-15-2005, 09:50 AM
knoppix, is that what you mean? And yeah, any of those live-distros should work as long as they support your hardware. Those repair installs can be really nice...let me fix up my system without having to loose all my files

jjcom

wr0x2
01-15-2005, 10:30 AM
I do use knoppix for stuff like this, but I don't really like the new 3.7 version. I find 3.4 to be more stable so I use that when needed.

urbanfox
01-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I had that alot with a no pci lock board and an sata drive when overclocking, I just did chkdsk and fixboot a lot from the xp cd.