check this out:
http://www.vr-zone.com/Home/news171/gigabyte.htm

Maybe gigabyte did a board right for once :p

depending on what kind of pll chip this board has, and
what the max fsb and max voltage settings are, this
board could be decent :banana:

Tweaked!
11-18-2002, 10:37 AM
Looks to be really cool, but froma glance it loks like it won't fit in just any atx case. With that dual power system, It looks like it will need a wider opening in the rear.

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 11:00 AM
It seems like that daughter-board would do more harm than good. It looks like it would pretty much block the exhaust fan that most cases have directly to the left of the CPU. Who needs that much power anyway? :confused:

Edit
Dual BIOS? Dual RAID? This whole board seems kinda excessive... :rolleyes:

libertate
11-18-2002, 11:08 AM
nice avatar :)

the 6-phase will be effective for peeps with vapor phase cooling
or chilled water.... cuz those 4ghz + overclocks are gonna create
huge power draws....

otherwise, yeah it is a little excessive....

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by libertate
nice avatar
Thanks, same to you. :)

the 6-phase will be effective for peeps with vapor phase cooling
or chilled water.... cuz those 4ghz + overclocks are gonna create
huge power draws....
True, true; and in that case, airflow wouldn't matter much so the size of the daughter-board wouldn't be a problem.

Still though, dual RAID? I guess eight drives might not be enough for someone, but damn. They have PCI cards for that. And someone with those kind of storage needs should be buying a server board not an overclocker.

deeznuts
11-18-2002, 03:05 PM
SHrKY, since when has being excessive been bad in the overclocking/enthusiast world?

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 03:23 PM
excessive usually = expensive

That's always been bad in the overclocking/enthusiast world.

deeznuts
11-18-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by SHrKY
excessive usually = expensive

That's always been bad in the overclocking/enthusiast world.

not necessarily. gigabyte has always had major options on their boards, but usually cheaper than asus. i find gigabyte boards to be reasonable in price.

expensive has never been bad in the oc/enthusiast world. there is a perception that it is, but how do you explain Promethia's, Vapos, watercooling, $40 heatsinks, etc. for a few hundred MHz extra? i have to disagree with you, being an oc'er enthusiast is very expensive. durons and ECS boars (which i love btw.) are cheap.

also, if you are worried about "expensive" you should stop looking at granite bay immediately.

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Gigabyte lacks Asus' long-standing strong (and IMO undeserved) brand name; their pricing tends to reflect that.

Saying overclocking is an expensive practice isn't necessarily true. When I was first getting started I was in it to prolong the useful life of my obsolete computer. I learned that overclocking the videocard and processor could make Quake 3 playable on the machine I originally bought for Quake 2. At that point it was about saving money, and getting the most bang for my buck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for warranted excesses.

Ex.
-For a long time RDRAM was considerably more expensive than DDR, but it was a little bit faster.
-Intel has just about always been more expensive, but are usually a bit faster than their contemporaries from AMD.
-My alpha heatsink cost about $50, but was a little better than my old AVC Sunflower.

Each of these expenditures was the cosiderably more costly option, yet they helped me acheive my goal of maximum possible performance, therefore I consider it a justified excess.

Back to this board...

Is it for Servers with all the drives and memory bandwidth?
Is it for Overclockers with all the overclocking options?
Is it for stability/longevity freaks with the 6 phase power and dual BIOS?

The board's glut of features and doodads make it seem like it's trying to be trying to be everything to everyone, and I just don't understand who would need or want it all.

Edit
On my second glance, I realized something. Look at this board. What the hell were they thinking? Blue PCB, gold HSFs, neon green AGP and IDE-RAID, yellow ATA-RAID, white PCI, red primary-IDE, white secondary-IDE, etc....

It looks like it was designed by a color blind Liberace. The miss-matched appearence matches it's hodgepodged features.

Charles Wirth
11-18-2002, 07:16 PM
I met with the guys from Gigabyte today at comdex and hopefully scored.

Gigabyte Titan 667 8INXP is the official name and a few things that are new

"Anti burn" AGP and memory slots so that if a card is insert incorrectly it will not harm the device. I can see where this may be a life saver but I have yet to screw up a video card or ram that was improperly seated. There is also the feature if you install a 3.3v AGP 2x card in the AGP slot a red light will come on and warning sound will alert you to the problem.

The dual raid is actually two different raid chips, a Promise 20276 Raid chip for IDE and Silicon Image for SATA. I like the hot plug ability as they kept swapping drives around and the system shows the event, the drive manager picks up and drops off drives quickly from the list.

Seagate will be the first to the market with a SATA drive

I have the specs from the best product handout "slick" I have ever seen to date.

Another nice feature I seen is the color coded jumpers on the motherboard to make it easier to install jumpers correctly onto the correct pins.

deeznuts
11-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by FUGGER

The dual raid is actually two different raid chips, a Promise 20276 Raid chip for IDE and Silicon Image for SATA. .

this was actually what i was going to say in my first reply to SHrKY (that it is not excessive because one is IDE and one is SATA) but upon further reading i couldn't confirm one of the RAID chips was actually for the SATA. Fugger cleared that all up.

on a different note, i love gigabyte boards. they always are missing one option that would make them a perfect board, but at least that is our major gripe. my 8IEXP and 8IXHP were good boards, and never had a problem on the grand scale of Asus P4T533 or missing 12v connector of epox's.

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 10:24 PM
But SATA-RAID is supposed to support 125 devices per channel. Taking that into account, why would it then be necessary to have IDE-RAID on top of that?

*foo
11-18-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by SHrKY
But SATA-RAID is supposed to support 125 devices per channel.

Eh? SATA is point-to-point. One connection per cable. There are only 2 connectors on that board, hence, you only get 2 drive SATA raid.

It's provided through a Silicon Image 3112 part that sits on the PCI bus. I think the part only supports two SATA ports, and hence only two drives.

SHrKY
11-19-2002, 12:08 AM
Hmm, in a rushed search through some white pages i found something that said one SATA channel. I'll post the link when I find it again.

Edit
Found it. I'm probably wrong, but here (http://www.intel.com/technology/serialATA/pdf/20530-234.pdf) it is. Either way, I'm positive that chip couldn't handle that many devices

subscience
11-19-2002, 08:50 AM
:slobber:

Looks very nice. Also looks like it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Does anyone know if we'll see ANY sub $200 Granite Bay motherboards?

sub.

Tedinde
11-19-2002, 06:22 PM
This effectively provides a more durable and stable power circuit to sustain a larger electric current of up to 150A. The DPS (Dual Power System) technology is conceived and specially designed for future processors that demand a higher working frequency and a more stable and durable power circuit.

150A, does that stand for AMPS, Id love to see the heatsink that can cool something that's pulling 150 amps. My 40 amp pelt power supply heats up the room now.

worthless
11-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by subscience
sub $200 Granite Bay motherboards?

Anandtech said the Asus is expected to debut around $190 and the Gigabyte "around $15 cheaper". $175 is not bad at all.

libertate
11-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
150A, does that stand for AMPS, Id love to see the heatsink that can cool something that's pulling 150 amps. My 40 amp pelt power supply heats up the room now.

hehe, yeah that is a lotta power.... but it's nice to know that
there'll be a mobo that can handle that kind of power draw....
I mean, it's not like it'll run 150 amps all the time, I'm guessing
it'll give that much if required.....

with phase change and a 3.06, well past 4 ghz should be
stable as hell with that kind of regulation....

Tedinde
11-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Sure would be nice to have a date when to buy one.

wicktron
11-19-2002, 08:25 PM
From what I have heard, Abbas from tbreak says about 2 weeks or something like that.

*foo
11-20-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Tedinde

150A at a low voltage wouldn't be that much wattage at all.

150*.5 = 75W, for example.

No Northwood will ever pull anything close to 150A. Dual Xeon boards aren't even pulling that (yet).