PDA

View Full Version : New Weapon heatercore & shroud arrives...

EnJoY
01-11-2005, 01:06 AM
...and guess what? It doesn't fit in my f*cking case! As some of you may know I am using the CM-Stacker case, the ThermoChill 120.3 fits just fine, but a 302 core won't? I was so surprised and excited to see my new weapon heatercore and shroud at my door today. I go and install and fans and such and then try and fit it into my case and for what? Only to find out that it won't fit in the god damn case. I've never been so frustrated with a computer related item in my entire life. Now keep in mind I am in no way blaming this on Weapon or his cores/shrouds...I am blaming this on myself for now taking the measurements beforehand.

So what should I get now? I have far too many bay devices to get a BIX3 or 120.3...so maybe a BIX2 at the front and a BIP or BIX at the back 120mm fan?

I'm still just so mad...I contemplated throwing my pc out my window and letting the garage man take it away.

MaxxxRacer
01-11-2005, 01:17 AM
lol well dont throw it out the window jsut yet. how doesnt it fit??? do you have any pics. Im sure there is a way to get it to fit in the caes. i didnt think it was wider than the 120.3 i thought it was rather thin in width. I know my 199 core is a bit wider than the 302.

if you have aboslutley no way if getting it to fit i might be interested to buy it though. but first lets see if there is ANY way to get it to fit.

DaGoof
01-11-2005, 01:26 AM
pics would be nice

Weapon
01-11-2005, 01:59 AM
enjoy - is it the core itself that won't go or the mounting lip that is on the shroud? If it is the mounting lip on the shroud, I think I have a fix for it but you will have to send the core and shroud back to me so that I can install it. Before we do that, can to tell me the width you have to get it to fit in?

bix 2 is 10.75 x 5.25 where the core is 5.625" wide with the width at the mounting lip of the shroud being a hair under 6". As above, can you post some pics of the mounting problem?

idleuser
01-11-2005, 03:00 AM
You can alway sell it but that's a suggestion :) But yes yes always measure and that sucks to hear man! best of luck with your conquest to get weaponized!

V I P E R
01-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Enjoy - if you want to throw your PC or some parts of it, please tell me when you will do that, and I'll come in front of your house and I'll wait to cach something :).

Circaflex
01-11-2005, 11:35 AM
i want to know the problem too, this is exactly what i was going to do. Put the hc in the front bay parts because there are so many. I know the rad from 2fresh fits because ive seen it done, but im not sure what core he uses. I dont want to mount it on the top panel either, i mean why would i? there are so many drive bays i can just use that.

EnJoY
01-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Omg, guys guess what? IT FITS! IT FITS! IT FITS! Why didn't it fit before you ask? Because the damn shroud's lip, just as Weapon thought, is a bit too large. However, I think I'll still be able to it is by keep the entire shroud out of the drive cages, it'll work nicely infact now that I think of it.

Before I was trying to push it in from the front with the shroud and fans fully mounted...this would not fit obviously once it got to the lip...but I was thinking it was stopping because of the heatercore size. But nope, the heatercore fits just fine. :)

So Weapon, I'm pming you back with answers to many of the questions you asked me there.

Weapon
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
i want to know the problem too, this is exactly what i was going to do. Put the hc in the front bay parts because there are so many. I know the rad from 2fresh fits because ive seen it done, but im not sure what core he uses. I dont want to mount it on the top panel either, i mean why would i? there are so many drive bays i can just use that.

hmmm... the last time I looked at at a 2fresh core, it was a 2-302 or had the exact same dimensions as one. Was it one mounted in the front of a CM stacker or was it some other case?

Circaflex
01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
it was in the front of the stacker, but i guess enjoy got it to work, if you have tgo do any mods for Enjoy, please let me know ill purchase mine with the mods since im going to put it in a stacker too

EnJoY
01-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Just make sure weapon gives you the smaller shroud without the lip that threads through the fins.

Weapon
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
lol - dammit - now I am going to have to buy one of those cases and invent a mounting mechanism for them. ;) at least that will be the line I give the wife when I am whipping out the credit card and logging into newegg... :D

MaxxxRacer
01-11-2005, 02:18 PM
ROFL. I think we need to have a intervention weapon.

I already thought of a mounting mechanism up in my head if u want the deisngs for it. just send me hte shroud and heeatercore cad drawigns and ill show you.

RAINFIRE
01-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Omg, guys guess what? IT FITS! IT FITS! IT FITS!

Darn! I was hoping you were going to sell it at a discounted price. :D

http://www.fx-55.com/watercool

idleuser
01-11-2005, 03:05 PM
That's a nice setup rainfire :) I'm surprised that you got the northbridge block cooled with a videocard installed in the agp slot. How does it preform? are you getting more heat into the loop?

willfreund
01-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Same here enjoy, it doesnt :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing fit! it looks so small in other peoples cases.... I think are case is overated

Weapon
01-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Same here enjoy, it doesnt :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing fit! it looks so small in other peoples cases.... I think are case is overated

willfreund - are you using a stacker as well? I might have a fix lined out for it. that damn drive bay that runs all the way to the base of the case is an oddity - especially since that case doesn't really have a front end to it. I am pulling a 5.25 bay out of a different case to test it tonight. the 302 should fit - it is the mounting lip on the shroud that is causing the problem, right?

Mastakilla
01-16-2005, 03:07 AM
the stacker seems popular ;)

have one too

where are u trying to fit these custom radiators?
in the front where the drivebays are?

or in the bottom at that hole?

(pics?) :p

i was planning to put my radiator in the bottom so it can blow the air out through that hole

allready have 2 drivebays, so not enough space to put em in the front...

fareastgq
01-16-2005, 05:55 PM
hrm, I may have that same problem with my lian li 7077.....twiddle.

Weapon
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
the most obvious solution is fairly simple - run 2 threaded rods thru the fins on the core and thru any two of the fan mounting holes in the shroud (one in the top right or left and the other in the lower right or left, diagonally positioned from the first threaded rod) and then add a nut and washer on each side of the threaded rods - that will secure the shroud to the core.

the second step can go one of two ways - either of which should only take a few minutes. push the shroud/core assembly (attached together as above) in to the 5.25 bay as deeply as it will go (i.e. it should be able go in up to the mounting lip on the shroud).

option #1 - mark a line on the drive bay even with the holes on the mounting lip. On that line, mount 1/2" L-brackets - once they are mounted, run the machine screws from the holes in the mounting lip of the shroud to the L-bracket and secure them with nuts and washers.

option #2 - the quick and dirty route - once the core and shroud are attached as above, run a zip tie thru the holes in the mounting lip on the shroud and then thru the drive mounting holes in the 5.25 bay and pull them tight.

Still working on a slightly more complex fix - I will get it finished soon.