PDA

View Full Version : How to flash 6800GT PCI-E??

Dirt
01-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Hello!

How do I flash a 6800GT PCI-E card. nvFlash 4.42 doesn´t work with the PCI-E cards.

Did someone to this successfully?? Please tell...

Mavke
01-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Yeps...
Make sure you first of all Backup your BIOS!!!
NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Backup Guide (http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/14/37)
And supply it to me (mavke@mvktech.net (mailto:mavke@mvktech.net)), cause then we can use it to improve our NVIDIA BIOS Tuner Tool (NiBiTor).

You first should use nvFlash v5.xx.
Best is to for the latest version.
nvFlash v5.12 (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=701)

Then you should use the command...
"nvflash -5 -6 newbios.rom"
Or when you get some Mismatch try...
"nvflash -4 -5 -6 newbios.rom"
The "-4" is a hidden feature to force a Flash.

Dirt
01-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Mavke: Great info there. I will send you my XFX 6800GT Bios as soon as my new rig is up running.

Mavke
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Mavke: Great info there. I will send you my XFX 6800GT Bios as soon as my new rig is up running.
Great I will be looking out for it :-)

[XC] moddolicous
01-11-2005, 03:03 PM
i thought u already had an XFX 6800gt bios, why would u need another one?

Dirt
01-11-2005, 03:20 PM

I guess that is if there would be a later version of the bios.

Mavke
01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Why? Because almost every month each brand puts a new version of the BIOS on their Cards... That is why I advice everyone to send me their BIOS, then I can check it.

Secondly I don't have much PCI-E BIOS's and a XFX 6800GT or 6800Ultra PCI-E I don't have yet...

As we are trying to get NiBiTor as good as we can, the more BIOS's we get for checking and using the better the Tool will get. And even if I receive 2-3 time the same BIOS I don't care cause I have seen that most users say it is the same version as on the site and I still advice em to send their BIOS 1 out of 3 has a different BIOS but with the same version number...

[G.N.U.]Fragman
01-12-2005, 10:29 PM
i hate you guys :) where the heck do u get the 6800GT pci-e ????? cant find them anywhere (i live in Denmark, but any onlineshop in EU is ok)

Mavke
01-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Well BFG has them, Point of View, eVGA...

Dirt
01-13-2005, 01:51 AM

Well you can by a XFX 6800GT/Ultra and GainwardGT/Ultra @ www.komplett.se don´t know if they will ship to Denmark?!

Mavke
01-13-2005, 02:18 AM
I guess that is if there would be a later version of the bios.
And did you get your card already? And had some time to backup the BIOS?

Dirt
01-13-2005, 02:34 AM
And did you get your card already? And had some time to backup the BIOS?

No sorry mate, I must get both XFX card, processor and my DFI nForce4 first. But all the last stuff is expected the 29th of Jan. I will fix It for you then.

Mavke
01-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Oh that is still 2 weeks of waiting... Oh well I think you will be very happy when you get all that stuff :-)

Dirt
01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Guess I will :) Have changed the TFT though will go for Hyundai 8ms or a BENQ 8ms 19inch TFT That will be sweet :)

[G.N.U.]Fragman
01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Well you can by a XFX 6800GT/Ultra and GainwardGT/Ultra @ www.komplett.se don´t know if they will ship to Denmark?!

asked them...they wont :(

[G.N.U.]Fragman
01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
full url will be nice...

Ratax
01-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Fragman']i hate you guys :) where the heck do u get the 6800GT pci-e ????? cant find them anywhere (i live in Denmark, but any onlineshop in EU is ok)

My 2 6800GT PCIe came from: PCBarato in Portugal

Direct link to the product (http://www.pcbarato.pt/product_info.php?products_id=6717)

If you want them, tell me about and will help you in the contact with the store.

J-Mag
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Curious: what will happen if/when I try to use nvflash on my rig that has two 6800GTs? will it pick one randomly, can I back both up... I haven't downloaded it yet, so excuse me if this is a dumbass quesiton

[XC] moddolicous
01-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure. You could try flashing each one separatley with the same bios. Thats how I would do it.

J-Mag
01-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure. You could try flashing each one separatley with the same bios. Thats how I would do it.

That is always an option...

But not for the lazy types :banana4:

Dirt
01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Mavke: A small change, the XFX simply took to long and they got MSI 6800GT PCI-E in store so i changed my order. But I´ll still mail my BIOS if you want it? Latest call on the DFI nF4 is 9th though :(

EDIT: As far as I can se the option above the 1,4 (standard GT) is 1,6 is that correct. On the AGP verions i thought it was 1,5 that was "ultra" voltage?!? Will it work properly to raise it up to 1,6 on my GT??

Mavke
01-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Mavke: A small change, the XFX simply took to long and they got MSI 6800GT PCI-E in store so i changed my order. But I´ll still mail my BIOS if you want it? Latest call on the DFI nF4 is 9th though :(

EDIT: As far as I can se the option above the 1,4 (standard GT) is 1,6 is that correct. On the AGP verions i thought it was 1,5 that was "ultra" voltage?!? Will it work properly to raise it up to 1,6 on my GT??
Yes I wan that MSI 6800GT PCI-E BIOS. Cause I don't have it yet! Please make a backup and mail it to me...
mavke@mvktech.net (mailto:mavke@mvktech.net)

Well normally the GT runs at 1.3V the Ultra at 1.4V and well it seems some cards can do 1.5V or even 1.6V. Now you should try to gradually go higher and see if you can clock higher yes or no...

Dirt
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Yes I wan that MSI 6800GT PCI-E BIOS. Cause I don't have it yet! Please make a backup and mail it to me...
mavke@mvktech.net (mailto:mavke@mvktech.net)

Well normally the GT runs at 1.3V the Ultra at 1.4V and well it seems some cards can do 1.5V or even 1.6V. Now you should try to gradually go higher and see if you can clock higher yes or no...

Well ill get it for you as soon as my DFI mobo arrives, my MSI GT wount go many minutes with original bios.

BTW: I thought about this with 6pin PCIe connector, does this meens that there is no differance between GT and Ultra power accessibility? This would be a huge advantage for the PCIe compared to AGP cards. AGP Ultras used two connectors and now both GT and Ultra PCIe use 6pin only, 5v (4pin) to 6pin converters also need dual 5v (4pin) to work. Thoughts on this??

Mavke
01-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Great thanks mate!

On the PCI Power Connector, I think that this is the greatest thing about the cards which means that the GT will just work as an Ultra as they get the same power drawn to it...

Dirt
02-03-2005, 08:27 AM
My MSI 6800GT have arrived and is looking good I´ll tell you :) Still waiting 4 my DFI card though hope to get it tomorrow but most likley in the begining of next week.

I have a question though, I got the part below:

Yeps...
Make sure you first of all Backup your BIOS!!!
NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Backup Guide (http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/14/37)
And supply it to me (mavke@mvktech.net (mailto:mavke@mvktech.net)), cause then we can use it to improve our NVIDIA BIOS Tuner Tool (NiBiTor).

You first should use nvFlash v5.xx.
Best is to for the latest version.
nvFlash v5.12 (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=701)

Then you should use the command...
"nvflash -5 -6 newbios.rom"
Or when you get some Mismatch try...
"nvflash -4 -5 -6 newbios.rom"
The "-4" is a hidden feature to force a Flash.

But what is the command to save down the originalbios to the floppy??

Mavke
02-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Well you just use:
"nvflash -b backup.rom"

Dirt
02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Well you just use:
"nvflash -b backup.rom"

Ok, thanks. Thought it was something else since you use number-commands for the flash.

Mavke
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM
So I guess I can expect your BIOS very soon?
BTW did you get one card or two for SLI?
If you got 2 please send me both BIOS's...

And you can always us this for SLI Backup/Flashing...
SLI Flash... (http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,0/func,view/id,7726/catid,13)

J-Mag
02-04-2005, 09:35 AM

SLI Flash... (http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,0/func,view/id,7726/catid,13)

Well thats good, I have been putting off copying my BIOSes cause I didn't want to take the other card out :P

Dirt
02-04-2005, 03:09 PM

Hello again.... I can hardly belive the kind of problems I hit to get this rig roling.. Just read this:

"Last January 31, we have published this new about the MSI NX6800GT-T2D256E graphic card. It appeared that even if this graphic card featured 256 MB GDDR3 memory and NV45 chip, it only had 12 pixel pipelines and 5 vertex engines activated instead of 16 pixel pipelines and 6 vertex engines for any GeForce 6800 GT"

http://www.behardware.com/news/7268/6800GT-MSI-s-answer.html

Well, guess what kind of card I got.... Yeah thats right, a bad one. So it is in fact in the mail on a RMA to the dealer and since I havn´t got the DFI board yet I couldent copy the bios B4. Well I hope to have the rig upp running next week but it might be with a Gainward or XFX card then.

Over and out!

Mavke
02-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Well thats good, I have been putting off copying my BIOSes cause I didn't want to take the other card out :P
Well then I hope you wil all be sending in yoru BIOS's hehe ;-)

Butcher_
02-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I can flash bioses with both cards in with SLI using nvflash, least I can. ;)

J-Mag
02-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Yes, but can you copy / back-up both? What happens then?

Mavke: I will still get the BIOSes out to you eventually, i had some problems with my machine not booting this weekend and I took the whole thing out of the case and re-assembled it component by component and it is working again...

I did notice though when I looked at the back of both of my BFG 6800GT's they DEFINATELY have different BIOSes... There is a sticker indicating what rev BIOS on each... It is interesting that they work in SLI together fine... I had thought that you needed two of the exact same BIOSes to get SLI running properly...

Dirt
02-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Well now I have been benching since 19:00 and now it is 05:22 in the morning... Hugga!!

Just sent you the bios of my brand new Gainward Card.

Have fun!

EDIT: Kinda good score i think.... http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8437709