PDA

View Full Version : Active cooling the 850 NB

Dogwood
11-17-2002, 04:47 PM
I have looking for quite a while for a retail fan and heat sink for the 850E northbridge chip.
The heat sinks that Asus and Epox use are pretty crappy and I cannot get a fan to mount to them.
I have resorted to mounting a 80mm fan in the case pointing at the NB, but this seem to disrupt the natrual airflow through the case.
I bought a Thermaltake Tiger 1, which is for the 845, thinking I could adapt it to the 850 motherboard, I was wrong.
I was hoping that someone has run into this and had a solution, any help will be appreciated.

Jupiler
11-17-2002, 04:57 PM
Any chance of finding some small 40mm fans and hook them on the heatsink? That's how I cool the NB of my IT7 (which doesn't have a fan)
At least, I suppose all the NB heatsinks are about the same in size.
BTW, welcome to Xtreme. :banana:

Dogwood
11-17-2002, 05:55 PM
The one that is on, for instance, the Asus P4T533, has such large gaps between the fins, that the screws won't catch on them like they would on other heat sinks, believe me, I've tried.
Edit: The link I posted did not work.
This picture on Newegg's site is pretty good and show what I'm up against.

And thanks for the welcome, I'm a frequent poster to DSLR/BBR and was an infrequent poster to [H].

Rocinante
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
I was able to mount a 40mm fan to the stock nb heatsink of my P4T533. I bent the pins to get the screws to bite, but I can't remember if I bent them in or out. Either way, its do-able.

Good luck!

pulverizer
11-18-2002, 04:21 PM
I put a 40mm fan on the stock HS on my NB. You could probably attach it with some screws, but I am just using some duct tape for now, and it is working fine.:D

Dogwood
11-18-2002, 07:46 PM
The Abit heat sink looks like it would hold some screw real well, I would not want to use duct tape, but what ever floats your boat.
The Asus heat sink is just too crappy, I would love to get one of the HSF that Gigabyte uses on the 8HIXP, that would be perfect.

pulverizer
11-20-2002, 12:32 PM
You could get one of those Zalman northbridge HS, and also get a 40mm fan, that combination would only cost about $10 and would cool really well, since the zalman is very large, and is meant to be passive, but the way the pins are set up, i am sure it would hold screws well.

Dogwood
11-21-2002, 08:04 AM
I got it to work, I attached the fan from the Thermaltake Tiger 1 to the stock heat sink.
I cut grooves into the fins that would line up with the screws, then set the fan on top and shoved the screw into place, i did this with the assembly off of the board.
I had a picture of just the 2 parts together, but the camera decided to focus on something in the background, so this is the best one I have.

Jupiler
11-21-2002, 08:20 AM
Nice work. Glad you have it working now.
Looks like it was a tight fit. Or wasn't it?