PDA

View Full Version : MSI Granite Bay review is out at tbreak

bmg
11-17-2002, 04:22 PM
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=166

It doesn't look too interesting to us overclockers. Non-overclocked performance looks equivalent to rdram, which is no surprise. FSB and memory look like they can be pushed way beyond what rdram is capable of. I've got a couple of sticks of Corsair ram ready and waiting for an Abit GB7-Ultra or maybe the Asus P4G8X.

Phalanx28
11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Just to note about this review, *foo was indeed right about the fact that single channel use is permitted. I'm shocked. ;)

I'll look forward to their P4G8X review and OC Workbench's review of the 8INXP.

Perhaps then we can see some more realistic overclocks, without the use of ES chips.

Phalanx28

Bushboy
11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
The performance looks good, but those are the worst OCing features I've seen in a while! And the ybarely even OCed the CPU anyways...Nice mem bandwidth though you have to say.

Rocinante
11-17-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by bmg
I've got a couple of sticks of Corsair ram ready and waiting for an Abit GB7-Ultra or maybe the Asus P4G8X.

After the P4T533 incident, I can't believe you would give Asus another shot untill someone else verifies they are good.

Even if the Asus is good, I will wait for the Abit, and see how it does. So far (knocks on wood) Abit has been very good to me.

The next week should be full of good Granite Bay news...but I will wait and see what the real people are doing with them. :D

The MSI is out for me because of the total lack of overclocking options in the bios.

Tedinde
11-17-2002, 09:43 PM
The MSI is out for me because of the total lack of overclocking options in the bios

I havnt seen a good MSI board. I gave up on them with the k7t master kt 133 with crap voltage options.

They are saying no AGP/pci lock. WTF, That's stupid.

And also, what chip has a 15 mult?? Are they using an ES chip?? look at the 182fsb marks x 15 on this page??

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=166&pagenumber=5

They say overclocking options are weak. 182fsb isnt bad at all for and MSI board or any other board.

PS. hello all

:D

bmg
11-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Rocinante
After the P4T533 incident, I can't believe you would give Asus another shot untill someone else verifies they are good.

What can I say, I love playing with new hardware.:D The 2 phase power on my P4PE seems to work reasonably well, so maybe the P4G8X will be ok. The Abit GB7-Ultra is what I really want, but I'll try the P4G8X if it becomes available first.

When my P4 3.06 arrived I decided to give the P4T533 another try. I got a few super low esr 820uf caps from work and added them in parallel with the tantalum caps I'd already added to the 1.5V supply (had to remove some sheet metal underneath the mb so they'd fit). The board has been running fine at 149mhz for the past couple of days and will go higher if I switch my rdram to X3 mode. I no longer seem to have the problem of higher vcore voltage actually degrading overclocking. Of course I doubt if there's a P4T533 in existence that's got all the mods mine does. I've sold all my other rdram boards (two P4T-E's, P4T533-C and a TH7II with volt mods and the rdram clock generators replaced with TI's), bought a supply of corsair ram and am going to switch everything over to Granite Bay asap.

Tedinde
11-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Im holding out for the abit also. Epox is my board of choice for amd. Man i love their killer voltage selection on the. The hell with volt mods.

It's now the 18th, supposed release date of the GB, Where are they. I've been searching?? Dam i hate waiting.

bmg
11-17-2002, 10:24 PM
I've been hoping a few Granite Bay reviews would start showing up also.

Tedinde- if you happen to end up getting a 3.06 processor, check out my post on the folding forum. Hyperthreading can actually improve folding performance (36% in the case I tested). Unfortunately that's the only thing I've found that it improves. Of course I didn't get the 3.06 expecting much from hyperthreading.

*foo
11-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Phalanx28
Just to note about this review, *foo was indeed right ... I'm shocked.

Yeah, that's never happened before, eh? :)

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 10:16 AM
There's a first time for everything. Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day. :p

No PCI/AGP lock!! :stick: Yuck, I thought that was standard issue these days.

Well, there are still plenty of other GB boards to come, so maybe one of them will manage to get it right.

Jupiler
11-18-2002, 01:05 PM
And if you look a the price for the MSI boards
Cheapest version (without firewire, SATA and LAN): around 280€ or $, as you wish
Top model : around 315€ or $..
Pretty expensive, not?

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Very expensive, but all GB boards probably will be. :( I wouldn't necessarily mind paying that much if you got what you paid for, but this board certainly isn't worth that kind of money.

Jupiler
11-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Same for me, but I would never buy an MSI board anyway ;)
I'll wait for the ABIT (also depending how much it's gonna cost).

Tedinde
11-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Tedinde- if you happen to end up getting a 3.06 processor, check out my post on the folding forum. Hyperthreading can actually improve folding performance (36% in the case I tested). Unfortunately that's the only thing I've found that it improves. Of course I didn't get the 3.06 expecting much from hyperthreading.

That is very nice 36%, I would have to crank the chip up i currently have 36% percent more to almost 4.9ghz to get the same folding numbers. That is definitly worth it.

Dont be pulling a "Kyle" on us, just kidding. I believe it.

Im just waiting for it to show in intels IPD deal. Only thing on there now is a 2.8 for $298 and 2.53. for $187, i've already bought both in the past so i cant get anymore.

Im hoping for the 3.06 to show at about $420 if my guess is right.

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
Im just waiting for it to show in intels IPD deal.
Same here. :)

Jupiler
11-18-2002, 02:39 PM
I'd love to have a 2.8 for $298 but I can't, as I live outside the US.

lefthandedgoat
11-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Im holding out for the abit also. Epox is my board of choice for amd. Man i love their killer voltage selection on the. The hell with volt mods.

It's now the 18th, supposed release date of the GB, Where are they. I've been searching?? Dam i hate waiting.

The clowns at Nvidia had to pay everyone to come out with a friggin FX preview. Anand is the man though. 3 reviews out today, quad Xeons, granite bay, and the FX preview.

lefthandedgoat
11-18-2002, 04:02 PM
The people at Intel still have not emailed me about the IPD thing, its been almost a week. How long did it take everyone esle to get confirmation?

SHrKY
11-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Two days or so.

Rocinante
11-18-2002, 05:19 PM
They say overclocking options are weak. 182fsb isnt bad at all for and MSI board or any other board.

PS. hello all

:D

Well, at 182fsb it running the PCI at 45.5:eek:

There has to be a lock, I have never got a harddrive controller to work well over 170ish, 183 OMG!!!

I read on some other forum that it does indeed lock the PCI/AGP, but non the less, I am waiting for the Abit.

Rocinante
11-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by bmg
What can I say, I love playing with new hardware.:D The 2 phase power on my P4PE seems to work reasonably well, so maybe the P4G8X will be ok. The Abit GB7-Ultra is what I really want, but I'll try the P4G8X if it becomes available first.

When my P4 3.06 arrived I decided to give the P4T533 another try. I got a few super low esr 820uf caps from work and added them in parallel with the tantalum caps I'd already added to the 1.5V supply (had to remove some sheet metal underneath the mb so they'd fit). The board has been running fine at 149mhz for the past couple of days and will go higher if I switch my rdram to X3 mode. I no longer seem to have the problem of higher vcore voltage actually degrading overclocking. Of course I doubt if there's a P4T533 in existence that's got all the mods mine does. I've sold all my other rdram boards (two P4T-E's, P4T533-C and a TH7II with volt mods and the rdram clock generators replaced with TI's), bought a supply of corsair ram and am going to switch everything over to Granite Bay asap.

You definately have the most modded P4T533 I have heard of.. :D

I love playing with new hardware too, but unfortunatly, I don't have enough spare cash...:( Maybe when I get married and my wife finally gets her law degree, I will be able to keep up with you guys...;)

I still have my P4T533 in the closet, I'm thinking of RMAing it back to Asus and see if the newer "fixed" boards are really "fixed"

Rocinante
11-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by *foo

*foo, if you were ever wrong, it would bring down the whole *foo-ism religion. That would be a disaster. ;) There would be no more hamsters sacrificed on the alter...ect...ect....

BTW, what are your thoughts on the Gigabite GB 6 phase power supply. Sounds like overkill to me, but maybe it will be the s**t.

Phalanx28
11-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by *foo

Hehe. :)

Phalanx28