PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: XS Reporters

Kazoo
01-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Now that our new front page is up, it's time to get busy! XtremeSystems is looking for reporters who will scour the web for interesting articles, possibly write articles themselves...and submit them for the front page.

Anyone interested please PM me.

Kanavit
01-08-2005, 04:15 PM
count me in! :cool: i have submitted two stories, and they are still waiting to be posted on the front page.

Kazoo
01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
enzoR is also joining the front page staff. Kanavit, I'll check on that...

Kanavit
01-08-2005, 06:30 PM
thx Kazoo :), can't wait to see the front page updated.

STEvil
01-08-2005, 09:38 PM
possibly slightly off topic, but have user created articles/reviews been considered?

As in article/review is written by xxxx then staff members can critique/read it for validity etc and make it an "official" review..? ;)

matt9669
01-09-2005, 12:13 AM
I'd be very interested! Are you looking for reviews only, or would how-to guides, user projects and commentary articles be welcome as well? I'd like to do a running commentary, weekly or the like, overclockers.com style, but more from our perspective (Joe Citarella seems like he's looking out for Joe Shmoe computer user too often).

enzoR
01-09-2005, 02:36 AM
7 submitted :D :toast:

Kazoo
01-09-2005, 08:28 AM
possibly slightly off topic, but have user created articles/reviews been considered?

As in article/review is written by xxxx then staff members can critique/read it for validity etc and make it an "official" review..? ;)

Yes, those will be welcome.

Kazoo
01-09-2005, 08:29 AM
I'd be very interested! Are you looking for reviews only, or would how-to guides, user projects and commentary articles be welcome as well? I'd like to do a running commentary, weekly or the like, overclockers.com style, but more from our perspective (Joe Citarella seems like he's looking out for Joe Shmoe computer user too often).

Hi Matt,

First, please remove the link from your sig, it's not allowed. ;)

Next, that sounds like a good idea to me, I'll talk to Fugger and Chilly about it. Can you PM me an example?

enzoR
01-09-2005, 09:30 AM
hmm i noticed that the article lead in is only displayed and not the body text. i guess for news it is better if everything is in the article lead-in. Okay... in the future :) ;)

Oh and the gigabye made todays big news :banana:

shadowing
01-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Just submitted a PM. Hopefully, the news I'm thinking of matches XS's news...

chunkylover77
01-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I would be willing to scour the web looking for stories. PM me if you want me to start looking.

Dissolved
01-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I can probly help with guides and such. i have alot of free time and a 5mp camera :)

matt9669
01-09-2005, 05:08 PM
First, please remove the link from your sig, it's not allowed. ;)
Oops, sorry Kaz, wasn't aware of that rule - it's done.

As for the article, no problem, I'll write it up tonight if I can. :toast:

Kanavit
01-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey all reporters, I would like to take the opportunity and congratulate all those involved in making the front page news a success. Great job, and keep it up. The XS front page looks great. Lets keep it rolling, any leads, rumors, tips, latest tech information is greatly welcome, so keep submitting. And great work Kazoo, for posting the submissions, and keeping the front page updated.

shadowing
01-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I can probly help with guides and such. i have alot of free time and a 5mp camera :)

:slobber: 5MP!! That's pretty good. Go for the guides man. If you could, an overclocking guide would be nice!!

matt9669
01-11-2005, 12:42 AM
7.1MP, biatches - Canon Powershot S70 + birthday = :toast:

Oh yeah, ygpm Kaz. :cool:

enzoR
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
:slobber: 5MP!! That's pretty good. Go for the guides man. If you could, an overclocking guide would be nice!!

overclocking guide? hmm thats really tough. so much and where to start? :eek:
i think it is impossible to have a complete overclocking guide with every single option in the bios discribed. its also very different for each motherboard. the principle is always the same though. and hmm i think people on XS dont need to learn overclocking anymore ;)

Kazoo
01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I've actually had a few requests for an overclocking guide

Northwood
01-19-2005, 01:10 PM
the whole site is really an overclocking guide, just takes patience to sit back and read, researching the subject from other people's threads and posts.

if a person hasn't got the patience to do that, then overclocking isn't for them :cool:

also there is too much to cover, especially with all these motherboards, and as many processors as there are flavours of ice cream in the world.

jjcom
01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Whats wrong with OC guides, I can do alittle bit there for the site if needed, already did a AMD thing...I could make some genral guide lines and such if wanted

jjcom

blinky
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
id be willing to let XS use some articles im brainstorming on, so long as its understood that they can be used not just at XS

Kazoo
01-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Whats wrong with OC guides, I can do alittle bit there for the site if needed, already did a AMD thing...I could make some genral guide lines and such if wanted

jjcom

Definitely wanted. Thanks!

shadowing
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Good luck jjcom. Your AMD one is great. :) Hopefully, Intel can be defined.

Could it be possible for a Linux overclocking guide?

jjcom
01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Linux, you overclock via the BIOS normally, I'm not aware of any software that can be used through Linux...you mean something like an Linux install guide...maybe, the newest I have is SuSE 9.0 personal. But SuSE is pretty straigh forward...now dual booting....mmm...theres a topic I might be able to do a touch on.

Current plan: Work on some type of guide (possiblely) on RAM. Questions on when to do x to RAM when x occures, seem to be poping up.

I would like to do something like on AMD and Intel...something like a "Current product" thing but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll look into it this weekend...school can really keep you from doing things :(

then I'll let one of you XS news guys know when its ready.

jjcom
EDIT: How does it sound if I were to take my AMD guide and try and make some shorter "cheat sheet" things like I did to help out shadowing?

matt9669
01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I'll look into it this weekend...school can really keep you from doing things :(

No :banana::banana::banana::banana: !! My Dothan followup article has been sitting in deep freeze for a few days - all because of school. :brick:

*sigh* - just glad labs haven't kicked in yet, then I'll be really boring . . .

smokey
01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
the newest I have is SuSE 9.0 personal... dual booting... theres a topic I might be able to do a touch on.

Not to be overly critical, but if the _latest_ OS you've run is 9.0, in SUSE of all distros... well, I would certainly ask for a different author's perspective. In fact, I'd be willing to offer my familiarity with several distros, as well as BSD, if requested. Although, dual booting fundamentally only requires three topics: NTLDR, LILO and GRUB... but I digress.

enzoR
01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
No :banana::banana::banana::banana: !! My Dothan followup article has been sitting in deep freeze for a few days - all because of school. :brick:

*sigh* - just glad labs haven't kicked in yet, then I'll be really boring . . .

i cant wait for that follow-up. you did a great job ;) :toast:

jjcom
01-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Not to be overly critical, but if the _latest_ OS you've run is 9.0, in SUSE of all distros... well, I would certainly ask for a different author's perspective. In fact, I'd be willing to offer my familiarity with several distros, as well as BSD, if requested. Although, dual booting fundamentally only requires three topics: NTLDR, LILO and GRUB... but I digress.
yeah, I'm not the most expersinced there, I've been looking into getting into it again tho.

Seems like this is getting alittle off topic tho, sorry

jjcom

matt9669
01-20-2005, 04:27 PM
i cant wait for that follow-up. you did a great job ;) :toast:
Thanks Enzor! Always nice to know I didn't stay up all hours for nuthin :D

BTW, news hasn't been posted all day . . . Kaz, Fugger, someone get on that . . . :slapass:

STEvil
01-20-2005, 06:01 PM
sorry, been busy working so havent submitted anything today.. gotta feed the addiction one way or another ;)

Dissolved
01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, Are we going to make any XS guides?

i would like to work on a few, but if its just going to be stricky news, i may opt out as it think we have enough as it is.

Thanks.

enzoR
01-21-2005, 10:43 AM
yea just submit the guide as an article no?

Kazoo
01-21-2005, 04:43 PM
No, we need to have a special area for guides. Let me figure it out and I'll get back to you shortly.

skate2snow
01-21-2005, 07:43 PM
There *should* be some reviews and guides soon. Dont worry for that guys;).

Kazoo, YGPM!

jjcom
01-21-2005, 07:48 PM
yeah, sounds good a guides section :D

jjcom

matt9669
01-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Any thoughts? - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=679005&posted=1#post679005

My next Dothan article IS in the works (TGIF!!) but data on the Pentium M architecture is not easy to find - but, I could do an HT writeup in like 5min :D

Oh, and those of you working on guides, keep it up - I have neither time nor resources to do such, but Kazoo has me covering the big sites for press releases (NV, ATI, Intel, AMD, etc.), plus I check other news a lot so don't feel too obligated on the news portion.

Reflex1
01-22-2005, 05:17 AM
is there still room for more reporters? I would be interested in looking for interesting articles/news for XS ...

Kazoo
01-22-2005, 08:28 AM
There's always room for more reporters. :) Sign up on the front page and start submitting! Please let me know when you've done it so I can change your title.

Also, talked to Fugger and he's going to set up a new topic for guides.

enzoR
01-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Any thoughts? - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=679005&posted=1#post679005

My next Dothan article IS in the works (TGIF!!) but data on the Pentium M architecture is not easy to find - but, I could do an HT writeup in like 5min :D

Oh, and those of you working on guides, keep it up - I have neither time nor resources to do such, but Kazoo has me covering the big sites for press releases (NV, ATI, Intel, AMD, etc.), plus I check other news a lot so don't feel too obligated on the news portion.

i think every single 1st gen HT CPU reviews have an explaination of how HT works so im not sure if its really needed :)

matt9669
01-22-2005, 02:55 PM
i think every single 1st gen HT CPU reviews have an explaination of how HT works so im not sure if its really needed :)

Was thinking this myself, but after seeing it brought up in the forums I wondered - OK then, back to the grindstone :D

jjcom
01-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm working on two basic guides for those people who are starting to come to XS. The new members who like computers and want to overclock...but they don't know how to go about it on there RAM...

Plus one that deals with PSUs...

should be useful for the new OC'ers of XS

jjcom

Kazoo
01-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Guys, we have lots of news in the forums themselves that is not making it to the front page. I need volunteers to cover those areas. Folding, Over-Clocking, and Cooling news specifically. If you have a strength in one of those areas and want to cover it, let me know. We want news like moving up a place in folding, records being broken in oc'ing, new and record breaking cooling, etc...

jjcom
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
I can look over the D2OL folding area...plus I spend time in the AMD section so I can look that over as well. I'm really liking the stuff on the front page :D

jjcom

STEvil
01-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Will keep an eye out for forum stuff to put in the news, wasnt really too sure whether stuff off the forums should be put into news too often ;)

matt9669
01-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Someone could cover the 3dmark 01/03/05 records (we do a LOT of that here, lol) for example OPP has got a 42K '01 bench up in the forums (#1 on ORB) and is shooting for 43K, if someone wants to post that up . . . http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=680282#post680282

Jeff has a great deal running for D2OL farmers ATM, not sure if I should post it front page tho - link here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=680298#post680298

Also, peeps looking for ideas for how-to/guides should think about 3dmark tweaking guides, I know I'll be looking for that sort of thing once my SLI rig is up and running (it's been a while since I had a system capable of competing!)

jjcom
01-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I posted about OPP's record. So thats taken care of...Jeff...there needs to be away to get him on the front page...maybe something like his knowledge of dual Xeons

jjcom

matt9669
01-23-2005, 03:58 AM
It's up!! http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51113

Bennah
01-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Yea to me Jeff would be great on the front page talking about D2OL... he knows a lot.

Good work on the Dothan article Matt :toast:

matt9669
01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Thx Bennah! :D

Any thoughts on what I should write next? I pretty much beat the :bananal: out of Dothan for now, no ideas are coming to mind (and those writing fingers are getting itchy) . . .

bias_hjorth
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Nice work matt :toast:

perry_78
01-28-2005, 02:53 PM
The AMD, XTREME OVERCLOCKING and 3dMark team should be covered. I'm sure if I have the time to fully concentrate on that, but we'll see :) Glad to help in any way i can ;)

jjcom : D2OL will be easy for you :D And a folding news section won't be too difficult. "Today i researched the SARS 3 candidate 150 times" :p

jjcom
01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
lol yeah I know what you mean, I've been looking at the AMD section...not awhole not going on...Altho i might submit something, I need to look at the front page first to see if its there already

jjcom

bias_hjorth
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Another dane on the team :up:

perry_78
01-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I'll be into then :) I'll be trying to put as much time as possible into, however my exams are kicking in :(

If we do have some news, do we just send it in to an admin/moderator?

jjcom
01-29-2005, 08:41 AM
you need to talk to Kazoo. let her know what your planning then reg on the front page. Kazoo will have to approve the new reg I believe

jjcom

dippyskoodlez
02-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey.. been lurking a lot (dont get comments in too much.. usually one of the more experienced get to things first..) but I've been interested in writing some articles/gathering news.. :)

I'll definatly help!

Kazoo
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi Dipsy, register on the front page, and let me know once you've done so...welcome aboard!

dippyskoodlez
02-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi Dipsy, register on the front page, and let me know once you've done so...welcome aboard!

took me a few min to find it, but all set :up:

don_vercetti
02-27-2005, 09:51 AM
i'd be happy to submit some articles...if any nvidia fans or n00bs don't know how, i've been thinking of writing an article on bios voltmodding (and pipeline unlocking) for some time. I'd also be happy to do reporting and such from time to time.

You really should get a guides/articles section for the front page. That Dothan write up would fit right in there, as would my hopefully upcoming guide to bios voltmodding, and all such things.

$0m#0n#
03-08-2005, 06:15 AM
I can also make news, ve got a lot of time :D

IvanAndreevich
03-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Could help out if help is needed.

Kazoo
03-13-2005, 10:28 AM
All new reporter inquires should be directed to Matt9669 via PM. Thanks!

Bra!nFreeZe^
03-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi, I'm actually very interested in joining the XS crew by providing news and alike to the site, I have actually been a colleague of Bias_Hjorth in here.
I posted news at his site www.oc-central.dk (shut down) and I also posted news at the biggest danish overclocking site, www.overclocking.dk

SLaY3r07
03-14-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd be glad to help, I post tons of news on the AMD Forums (http://forums.amd.com)

matt9669
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Like Kazoo said, if you're interested, send me a PM, I'll get you setup! Make sure you have an account on the front page first, if you are having trouble doing that post your problem here. Also if there is any particular news or sites you check regularly let me know. Thanks!

-- Matt

matt9669
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
FYI:

We've had one too many newsies who aren't posting at all. I'm currently working on a new front page for XS while Kazoo posts/edits the news. We won't be taking any more newsies on the team until:

A) Non-posting newsies are - well, no longer newsies ;)

B) The new front page is up.

C) The mods/admins and I have drafted some basic guidelines for accepting and removing newsies. I only want dedicated people on the team, if you don't have the time or commitment and still want to post news, there's a thread for you:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52781

You may also PM me, or for longer items email me at xsnews@xtremesystems.org.

Thanks!