PDA

View Full Version : How does RAM work internal?

BerT
01-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi ,
First of all I want to thank you for letting me be a part of this forum.
I'm not quite new here since I follow this forum quite some time now.

Second , I dont know if this is the right place to ask my question here but if not place be my guest to move it. :)

Straight to the point.
I'm in my last year of high school and we have some kind of final task to graduate.
We can chose the subject. I chose overclocking since It kept me fascinated through the years.
I have to explain to people who don't know a thing of computers what overclocking is all about.
I think I did quite a good job till now. Now I need to explain what timings are all about. I just quickly defined it as "the value of the time intervalls that a certain action is executed in the memory"
Sorry for my bad english.
I know this isnt suffisant so I first want to explain how the ram works, so I can explain the values of the timings ?

I hope you understand me...
Plz feel free to correct my english.

Thx in advance
BerT

Jessfm
01-08-2005, 05:23 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ram+timings+explained&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

that should keep you busy for a few hours

BerT
01-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Funny as it seems , I entered the same tags in google so I already had that info.

I need a short and clean explanation. Somebody resumes his info and I resume that info so that it's really easy and simple explained.

I hope I make myself clear.
I had expected another reply but still thanks for your help.
I appreciate...

BerT

Jessfm
01-08-2005, 05:33 AM
You want someone to do the reading for you & condense it.

TBH thats not going to help you 'understand' . All you would be then doing is quoting.

BerT
01-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Idd , I formulated it wrong...

I've read the first 3 pages of google ... the same as you gave me.
I think I managed to explain it quite obviously ...

But the only think I still are looking for is kinda a model how data is been stored in the memory.
Like a 3Dmodel or etc... with the collums and rows... ?

Dont misunderstand me , dont want you to do all the work :) :)
Ive read my post and I formulated all wrong.... sorry my bad.

Jessfm
01-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi bert,

yes it was'nt clear what you wanted- sorry.

So you want a 3D image of the memory configuration ?

BerT
01-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Some model would be nice...

So i can explain the working of the timings etc .... at the hand of such a model.
Do you understand ? :)

If it isnt on the web maybe i could try making it myself but havent got much experience with 3d imaging.

BerT

Jessfm
01-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes bert I think i understand what your looking for, but after a good search with google image I can't find anything that would hyelp you, the schematics are all split into various headings on anyhing that resembled what you would want.

enzoR
01-08-2005, 02:12 PM
i think you wanted this (http://www.corsairmemory.com/memory_basics/153707/) ;) :toast:

skate2snow
01-08-2005, 03:08 PM
You could define it this way : Timings are the number of cycles the data will take to process.

jumanji969
01-08-2005, 03:19 PM
i think you wanted this (http://www.corsairmemory.com/memory_basics/153707/) ;) :toast:

Dang thats a nice link. Learned a lot.

Skip
01-08-2005, 07:49 PM
what about howstuffworks.com they usually have very good information.

also there are equations for figuring out how fast a cas3 at say 500DDR really is compared to cas2 at ddr400. some anandtech benchmark of memory has that in there.

BerT
01-09-2005, 04:04 AM
The corsair presentation is very nice and saw it already ...

But it doesnt give an all round simplified image ?
Really simplified ?

Thx anyways :)