PDA

View Full Version : [H] & other reviewers for sale:

Bluce Ree
11-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Greetings to all interested:

Some people apparently think Computer Hardware Reviewing is a science--and their right, it is.

But what happens when a science research project is funded from an outside source? Ask any college professor who gets his funding from a pharmeceutcal company about his testing.

All of a sudden new jargon comes into english--phrases like: "Data Massaging" come into use all around the lab.

Tobacco companies in the US tried to bury research about the addictiveness (if that's a word) of nicotine in the '70s.

How safe do you feel when power distribution companies fund studies to see if high voltage lines cause cancer to people living near them?

How safe do you feel when food companies are funding research to see if a chemcial compound causes cancer?

I know I will never eat any irridated food--reguardless of what a food company claims--especially if it is owned by phillip morris (nabisco-kraft, and many others.)

I take this same skeptical attitude towards computer hardware review sites and computer software/security review sites.

LOOK AT THE BANNERS--WHO IS FUNDING THE SITE? Remember Aberdeen's comment about "junk science?" look at their claims about security on Linux now.

I've been an [H] fan since mid 1998--when I first got my Dual Celeron system together. I also frequented Overclockers.com alot and continue to poke at Ed when I think he deserves it.

Since late 1999, [H] has included more and more banners to their advertisers. Would you trust a review about a CPU from a site who advertises for that manufacturer?

Perhaps we should have a Congressman do an investigation to see if lobbyists should be outlawed because of their heavy corruption.

Bottom line:
Just like in politics & business & computer hardware reviewing-- The reviewer will write according to what his constituants want:
If a company is funding him, he will send the article to the company for editing. If the ONLY constituants are readers who want honest answers, then the reviewer will post the truth.

Come on Kyle, it's not 1984--there is no boot stomping on the face of humanity forever. If i wanted to read bullschmitt, I'd go to Herr Tom's HardwareStuken site and be overwhelmed with marginal truths and *little white lies.*

--reguards,

Bluce Ree

p.s. Ever wonder why some news just doesn't make it to the TV? Write down the companies that sponsor the news programs that you watch--that'll give you and idea as to who is editing the stories.

Bluce Ree
11-17-2002, 02:42 PM
One more thing: Isn't it ironic that Aberdeen called AMD "junk Science" when AMD chips are far superior for crunching SETI & Folding@home distributed science projects than Intel's p4?

freeloader
11-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Who gives a rat's a__ anymore? You CAN'T TRUST ANYONE to write an honest review anymore.

Mime
11-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Aberdeen probalby did sell out, I'll agree there. Gartner is known to have sold out to Intel. However, I don't believe Kyle did. Ed at oc.com put it nicely when he said basically that just as sure as the truth will leak out, some people will go to extreme lengths to avoid admitting they made a mistake. Whatever really did happen is probably very simple, and involves some small mistake by Kyle and/or Steve which snowballed on them when they tried to cover it up. Don't think I'm making excuses for them, they still fscked up big time.

Ad banners can be a sign of allegiance to a particular manufacterer, but they're not always. If the ratio really was 1:1 most of the industry would have had to sell out since those damn things seem to be everywhere. My personal favorite are the ones that imply the new P4 will make for() loops more efficient. :rolleyes:

<scarcasm>There were AMD ads at THG not that long ago, so I guess they sold out to AMD also? ;)</scarcasm>

Silver_Lancer
11-17-2002, 07:20 PM
im defintly not sure what to believe, i don't think somebody who does not allow linkage to know sold-outs on his forum would sell out himself, but kyle obviously fubared his [H]ardness up, ppl do weird things for money.

Its a questions of ethics and no one knows anybody elses limits unless told or proven.

Hallowed
11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by freeloader
Who gives a rat's a__ anymore? You CAN'T TRUST ANYONE to write an honest review anymore.

Lies!

www.thenakedreview.com

Of course I may be a little biased ;)

Everything we review is retail bought. No cherry-picked samples, and no large payouts. Its the small sites one can place faith in :)

freeloader
11-17-2002, 07:57 PM
My father has been telling me the same thing for 40 years now.

Money talks, bull§§§§ walks!

When it comes to hardware reviews, if you give a guy/girl a boat load of money, they'll give you the world!

Death-Speak
11-18-2002, 07:12 AM
I don't think its about the money. I think it was just a snowball effect like was stated above. They screwed up, probably an accident/oversight, on one of the reviewers part and they thought they could slip the change by us and get away with it. That's not very professional, but I certainly don't think the [H] has sold out.

antipop
11-21-2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Death-Speak
I don't think its about the money. I think it was just a snowball effect like was stated above. They screwed up, probably an accident/oversight, on one of the reviewers part and they thought they could slip the change by us and get away with it. That's not very professional, but I certainly don't think the [H] has sold out.
They could have got away with this easily by simply saying that they made a mistake and that they're sorry, nut no they decided to ban members and after seeing what a story it made, send an apology with some weak argument. Honestly, Kyle is the webmaster and he took gim 3 days to figure that a pic has been changed :eek: I don't believe that

Wingy
11-23-2002, 05:49 PM
The [H] hasn't sold out. I've seen all kinds of ads on thier site from companies who are competing with each other. Thier reviews are based on the numbers.

Tweaked!
11-23-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Wingy
The [H] hasn't sold out. I've seen all kinds of ads on thier site from companies who are competing with each other. Thier reviews are based on the numbers.

Welcome to Xtreme!:D

Johnny Knoxvill
11-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Wingy

so you seen any AMD ads? :rolleyes: