PDA

View Full Version : anyone who has an iBook?

Fry
01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
hi

some experiences with the new iBook G4 ? i love them and maybe i will bye me one in the near future :toast:

bye

boshi
01-05-2005, 03:46 PM
They are very good computers. I'd highly reccomend them to anyone who wanted a laptop.

wr0x2
01-05-2005, 07:18 PM
The ibook is good, although I must say I prefer the powerbook g4 series. Go to an apple store and try one out, but also try out a powerbook. The ibook is really a consumer machine, but if that's ok with you then it's definatly a good computer. Otherwise, get the PB.

gkiing
01-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Ive got an iBook G3 650mhz and I've never had a problem with it, crashing or otherwise. It's got good battery life and It uses unix so you can run quite a few useful programs.

phobix
01-08-2005, 04:54 PM
The performance gap is now marginal between the ibook and powerbook Since the 10/2004 update.

I just bought myself a 12" 1.2ghz ibook in December and all I can say is that I am more than happy. I am using it for music and performs flawlessly without crashes. This was the main reason why I decided to go with the Mac (OSX = BSD Unix core), when you are on stage you can not afford to have your laptop crash on you. My P4M laptop was less than ideal when dealing with Audio and software synthesizers.

At any rate, if you do decide to get an Ibook, take my advice and make sure you order:

1) The bluetooth transceiver option - very useful if you want to use an external keyboard and mouse.

2) If you do not want to open your ibook (Biggest PITA i have ever experienced) order the biggest drive (60gb), trust me 30gb is not enough. I thought I was going to be fine, but I ended up replacing the 30gb with a 60gb 7200rpm 8mb cache Hitachi Travelstar within 2 weeks. Be warned, you completly void your warranty by opening the ibook. The thing must have 10000 screws, apple doesn't want you touching this thing, ok I exagerate but there are a lot of screws.

3) Add memory but DO NOT but it from apple - Crazy expensive. OSX loves memory, I added a 1gb SODIMM (Compaq memory) which I bought off ebay for $150.00 for a total of 1.25gb. So if you are on the cheap you can get the memory from ebay for a nice price.

4) Screen size - it may bother you, but I like the portability of the 12". I installed a screen hack which allows monitor spanning on the ibook. One more reason why the GAP is marginal between the ibook and power book.