PDA

View Full Version : Samsung to Replace Dead Pixel LCD Panels.

Kunaak
01-05-2005, 03:39 AM
The number one reason I refuse to buy a LCD panel so far, is the ridiculous "dead pixel" policies of LCD makers, or websites that sell LCD Panels.

Newegg is the absolute worst for this, needing no less then 8 dead pixels, to be accepted for a RMA.

can you imagine paying your hard earned money, for a LCD then getting one with 6-7 dots that are permanantly on your screen, and knowing your item is defective, but neither the maker, or seller, will honor a request for a return on it, cause it doesn't meet thier greedy standards?

if I was about to buy a car, and it had 6-7 scratches on it, I would expect them to fix it.

if I bought a model airplane, and 6-7 parts were missing, I would return it.

if I bought a CPU and 6-7 pins were missing, I could return it... why?
cause it's defective.

so when a LCD panel has all these dead pixel on it, don't gimme this crap about "well it's hard to make a LCD and garauntee every pixel will work"

BS!!!!!!

I seen enough LCD's to know, most aren't gonna come with dead pixels, so take back the 5-10% that do.

if you can't make something, with a 99% perfect product pass, then don't sell it, or if you can't make the product to that standard, then take responsibilty for the damaged parts, don't say "its your risk to buy it", cause it's not.

as the consumer, it's your job to provide a fully working product if I paid for it.
if it's not 100% working, then fix it.
don't gimme excuses, just fix it...

well...

seems atleast 1 major manufacturer seems to give a damn about thier customers.

Samsung.

Samsung, has aparantly given the go, to replacing any of thier LCD panels, that are sold from January 1st, on up, if you buy a Samsung LCD panel, and it's got even 1 dead pixel on it, then you can get it replaced.

I know dell, has a excellent replacement offer for thier LCD's as well... but when your basically just buying a viewsonic with another name on it + the usual mark up, it's not all that enticing.

Atleast now, I know what company I will buy from, when I do look into getting a few LCD's finally. :D

Samsung Electronics announced Thursday that from Jan. 1, customers who discover defective pixels on an LCD monitor produced by the company less than six months after its purchase may have the panel replaced free of charge.
An LCD monitor is made up of hundreds of thousands of tiny pixels. Manufacturers have classified products with 10 or less defective pixels as "normal" and refused to repair or exchange them, which led to complaints from customers. Samsung added, however, that the free exchanges do not apply to customers who purchased their LCD monitors before Jan. 1.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/h...0412300018.html

funny thing is...

I been looking at samsungs for a long time anyways.
this just tips to scales in thier favor, reguardless of the extra $20 I pay for one :thumbsup:

texuspete00
01-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I agree whole-heartedly. There is probably just a higher defect rate. So what? Let it drive the price up a little. Otherwise if you're the sucker that just got 6 or 7 dead pixels.... congrats... you "took one for the team." 20 random people just saved $20 on their LCD. Wouldn't that just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling! When you get into the economics of it, it makes it no better.

pelikan
01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
That's great news about Samsung.

Dell will also replace an LCD with even one dead pixel, or anything at all that you don't like for that matter.

Tube
01-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I tend to think more companies will follow this movement. LCD panels still have a high overproduction.

Dissolved
01-07-2005, 07:13 PM
i thought this was only in korea?

Origin_Unknown
01-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm a toshiba laptop repair engineer and they will only replace a 15inch 1024*768 screen if it has about 13dead pixels :|

drunkenmaster
01-14-2005, 04:44 AM
the difference between a car with a few scratches, and a panel with a dead pixel is that you can't take out the dead pixel, replace and sell the screen still. it costs a lot to replace out items that are faulty, and there isn't the efficiency in the production of lcd's yet to really justify replacing every dead pixel. For one thing most aren't very noticeable, i had one on my lg, barely noticed it, and when i did it still didn't affect me.

Simple fact is theres a product, it doesn't do what you want to do, like a billion other products, you don't buy it. Plenty of people buy them taking the risk and are happy to do so. For instance, i could complain about every single case being made that doesn't have the antec style hard drive mounting that is effective in killing vibrations and very easy to move drive in and out without removing cages that sometimes might need a gfx card moved out the way. Cheiftec have cages that are a pain in the ass, yet loads of people get them. Its not a perfect product, get over it. thats life.

AS for why not increase the cost by $20, had they done that, at first with the first panels would have been a much higher failure rate and at massively increased costs they would never have become popular at all. $20 might not seem like much to you, but to oem's that make or break companies based on the huge orders they make $20 for 20k computers and it becomes everything.