PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear anything on the THermaltake 680?

Skip
01-05-2005, 01:15 AM
I read one review on it, the only i think exists currently, but they didn't test anything, just gave it a highly recommended and stated what Amps the rails had.

the specs on it are pretty good, and the OVP is pretty darn high. But there is no white sheet on it on thermaltakes site, they don't say what temp its rated at and how the wattages degrade as it gets hotter, or the peaks.

its 170$ at newegg, which isn't a bad price at all. considering the ocz 600 is 200+ at newegg. also it has 2pci e connectors and every cable is sleeved.

i'll probably pick this up when the DFi nf4 becomes available at stores.

Skip
01-05-2005, 08:22 PM
nobody has heard anything about it?

btw, http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHardware/Various/2004/Thermtake_PureP-680w_Dec.shtml thats the review. its far from thorough though.

it looks like a really nice power supply, it has the ocz finish i believe, no external pots, i'm hoping there are internal. i think i might buy this, and if its not so great, i'll stick it in my not superoverclocked computer and save up for something better.

Skip
01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/tt680/

this review goes a little more in depth, they show voltage readouts, its not a tolerance of 1%, but still good, and no undervoltages. they opened up the psu and it looks like it is made of some good parts, except i still didn't see any pots.

i'm talking to myself here.....

Sheograth
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I dont know, everything TT makes looks so good on paper, but its shoddy sometimes.

Skip
01-05-2005, 10:36 PM
i don't know many people with TT power supplies, and none of them seriously overclock, so its not like their opinions would really help me, as most any psu will work fine when you run stock.

i'm a little suspicious of the 3 12V rails, i which thermaltake had a pdf giving more info, like what fortron and pcpc do.

D_o_S
01-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I'd go for something like Enermax, OCZ...

The TT has 15A on both the 12V rails... I'd reccomend at least 18 on the CPU rail...

Skip
01-06-2005, 01:29 PM
thanks for the info, it at first was looking like such a nice product, nice finish, excellent sleeving, i've heard its very quiet, but the 15A does kill it.

thanks for point that out. i'll wait around for the ocz620 then i guess.

D_o_S
01-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Yes, that is definitely better :toast:

gouldy
01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt take advise from people that most likely dont even own this psu
me on the other hand i do own this ps and if im honest i would say that this is the best psu ive ever had
and ive had 2 antecs 1 480w 1 550w and 1 zalman 400w
i took a chance on this instead of the tagan 480w and im so glad i did

Aphex_Tom_9
01-10-2005, 07:33 PM
i used a TT480 for a while, under heavy OCing, i needed to pop it open and boost the rails, after that it performed pretty nicely.

gouldy
01-10-2005, 07:40 PM
i used a TT480 for a while, under heavy OCing, i needed to pop it open and boost the rails, after that it performed pretty nicely.

beleave me these new tt 680w are a different breed to the older ones
my rails are rock solid no matter what i chuck at em :cool:

kryptobs2000
01-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Well you have 2 posts, so many people don't know you, so what have you been chucking at them, and what are you measuring them with multimeter or software?

gouldy
01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Well you have 2 posts, so many people don't know you, so what have you been chucking at them, and what are you measuring them with multimeter or software?

multimeter
i only regersted because i wanted to tell the poster how pleased i am with this power supply cause atm theres not much info on this unit on the web
its just when i asked about this ps at futermark just before i brought it no one could give me any advise as no one had it so i was just trying to give him some first hand opinions
and for whats in my comp

nf7-s
xp-m 2600 mhz 1.9v
dvd-rw
cd-rw
4 hds
gf6800 nu fully soft modded 440c 900m 1.5v
5 case 80mm fans
audgiy 2zs
3 x 512mb pc3200
Thermalright SLK-900U with 92mm fan
tv tuner
2x Cathodes

i know its not the most taxing system but even when i ran p95 and sandra burn in test which i selected the hd and cpu and ram stress tests and looped 3dmark 2001 at 1600x1200 with 4xaa on
oh and i also burnt a dvd while i was doing all that(can you beleave the dvd burnt perfectly no costser) the rails where at
12.3v 5.2v 3.3v imo what more can you ask from a ps
and as i said none of my antecs could touch that

edit dont get me wrong im not saying this is the best ps out there but for £67 i find it hard to beleave theres better in that price range

Aphex_Tom_9
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
i was saying that TT isnt that bad, and if these units are any better, they should be quite nice.

gouldy
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
heres another review
http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=394&page=3

Skip
01-11-2005, 10:25 PM
very impressive. but all those tests are run at stock. if i was to drop 170$ on a psu, i really want to know its repuation as far as overclocking.

this psu, if i do get it, which is probably doubtful, will be powering a DFI SLI mobo, with a waterchilled 3500+ 90nm. my when its completed will be able to hit res temps around -30C. So i'm going to be shooting for maybe 3.1ghz. also i will have a single 6800GT but hopefully another when they get below 300$ connected to the chiller.

I really don't want to be held back by my power supply. If i had a lot of money to spend on this stuff, which i sorta do when it comes to components aside from cpu's and VGA's. i might give it a shot, and it is really good value, the ocz 600watter is more expensive and is rated for less output. But then again Thermaltake doens't have a pdf saying at what temps they rate it and how it degrades with each 1C rise in temp.

I will email them about that, and i really hope they respond. These are things i need to know if i'm going to spend that much money on a psu.

considering zippy's 700watter is 300$ and the TT 680 is 170$, do you think that zippy is just that ridiculously overpriced? or just that good. they price their psu's comprable to pcpc, while TT prices more along the lines of fortron. if the TT was as good as the fortron, i'd get it in a heartbeat.

i'll wait around for some more extensive reviews and i'll also email them about the wattage ratings.

also i have, but will try and sell an antec 550true control, and i wasn't impressed with it that much. but for a while i had a 226watt and 80watt pelt hooked up to it and still managed to bench at 2.7ghz with a amd mobile. i'm guessing that chip had a lot more in it but with so much power being drained by the TEC's it just couldn't go further. But the whole front panel control was crap. I should have bought the OCZ at the time which was 120$ for the 520.

shadowing
01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I'd rather take Antec, Enermax, or any well established PSU companies. The 550 watt true control is a good choice. :)

Skip
01-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I have 2 questions regarding the Thermaltake 680watt psu.

1. What is the max output of the entire system, and more importantly the max output on the 12V rail that powers the CPU, i'm concerned that 15A on the CPU rail for an extreme overclocked athlon 64 is not enough, hopefully the max is at or over 18A.

2. What temperature is this PSU rated at? and for each 1C rise, how does that affect its output rating?

Thanks for your time and i will patiently await your answers!

thats what i wrote to thermaltake, hopefully they can provide me with the information i need.

gouldy
01-12-2005, 07:16 PM
heres one more review and the last i will post to try and convice you that this is a great ps
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=745&pageID=1258

D_o_S
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Enermax EG701 or OCZ Powerstream or PC Power and Cooling TurboCool 510 Deluxe...

drunkenmaster
01-14-2005, 10:26 AM
max rated outputs are normally rated maximums for 60seconds and are completely useless.

the tt 480/560w units are pretty nice, can get decent overclocked rigs outta them and unlike most of TT's stuff their psu's are pretty solid and rarely die. i got way more antec's come through rma department than TT's and tt's are sold in higher quantities.

The 680W however is not a good psu. I'm gonna go ahead and make an assumption, that the 8A 12v rail only works on the pci-E connectors. if it does you're screwed, as they aren't standard, they fit neither the leadtek 6800gt's or the x800xt's i have. Which makes them completely useless, meaning you need two adaptors which gets very messy in a small case when two pci-e connectors on their own rail is so much easier.

I'm gonna attach the adaptors connectors to the TT psu and hope they work fine. As it is with 2 6800gt's attached to molex's then the rails reported in bios seem a little weak(not multimeter with me at uni), all reading a little under whack, 12v unsurprisingly by most at 11.8v, the other two are only a tiny bit low well with margin of error of reading from bios.

as for that review you linked to, a system with 10 tiny very low ampage drawing fans, + a radeon 9000, a 3.2Ghz p4 northy and not much else, how he can think that exceeds real world demand of a real system i don't know.

how any review can really be accurate on a psu with 3 rails without using all 3 rails on a current system that its designed for i don't know.