PDA

View Full Version : Will this blow up my 9700??

Tiribulus
11-16-2002, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking it would probably be ok, but does anyone have any definitive info on connecting a Radeon 9700's external power outfit to a seperate power supply where there would be juice to the card while the machine was off. I have some reasonably sound speculations on this, but need someone with better electronic knowledge than myself.
Thanks,
Tiribulus:D

Entuscan
11-16-2002, 10:05 AM
May I ask why you want to do that??

Might be an obvious reason to do so, but I don't see it straightaway???

Tiribulus
11-16-2002, 10:09 AM
I have a second power supply running the fan for my radiators and some fans for the machine and was thinking that if I connected the card to it it may get better juice because the power supply has so little strain on it. Once in a while during really heavy 3d activity the screen just goes blue, plain royal blue which I'm thinking may have to do with power. My rails seem ok but very high over voltage on vmem and vcore. Low 12v(11.78 os so) actually, but that's par for the course on KD7s. You get the drift.
Tiribulus

muzz
11-22-2002, 07:32 PM
I'm not saying you can't do it, I would look for other problems first. If you feel you'd rather try that then get a new more powerful psu, make sure you ground the psu to the case.

Proceed at your own risk!!!!!!!

sharpbw
11-24-2002, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't do it. I don't know much about the 9700, but it seems you risk mixing the outputs from the two PS's. <shrug>